What's new

DVI to HDMI issue

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Just to gain an extra set up I'm trying to connect a ps3 to an ASUS that doesn't have an hdmi port by using a dvi to hdmi adapter. When I have everything set up, I start the ps3 and hold the start button to reset any display settings (tried not doing it too btw). The monitor is on and displays a lite, but black screen. I can access my settings but nothing seems to have worked thus far.

Any suggestions TYM? Thank you so much in advance!

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Oh the monitor is also HDCP supported.

Are there DVI to HDMI cables that are different than HDMI to DVI cables? Which one would I need?

aj1701

Noob
Oh the monitor is also HDCP supported.

Are there DVI to HDMI cables that are different than HDMI to DVI cables? Which one would I need?
Is the HDMI->DVI cable HDCP complaint? If not, it won't work. Are you getting an image at all? I thought it would drop to 480i if something in the chain wasn't HDCP complaint. Oh, are you holding the PS3 power button so that it turns on, then off, then on again? You have to hold it the entire time to reset the display settings.

More info: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-dvi-hdmi-hdcp-connections-11-2004.html

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Yea just make sure they are HDCP compliant and it should work. Might also want to look into a HDMI to DVI adapter that you can just screw into your monitor and use a regular male-male HDMI cable from your PS3 to monitor.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Yea just make sure they are HDCP compliant and it should work. Might also want to look into a HDMI to DVI adapter that you can just screw into your monitor and use a regular male-male HDMI cable from your PS3 to monitor.
Thats have right now, sorry my description wasn't that good lol.

The monitor is HDCP compatible. I'm not sure if the converter is.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Is the HDMI->DVI cable HDCP complaint? If not, it won't work. Are you getting an image at all? I thought it would drop to 480i if something in the chain wasn't HDCP complaint. Oh, are you holding the PS3 power button so that it turns on, then off, then on again? You have to hold it the entire time to reset the display settings.

More info: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-dvi-hdmi-hdcp-connections-11-2004.html
I'm getting no image, just a back light on the screen.

Also I'm sorry it's not a cable but a converter in which I'm using an hdmi cable on the other end. Looking at the link you gave me it is a DVI-I to HDMI. Should I get something different? Try a different HDMI cable?

thank you very much btw.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler

Also I'm sorry it's not a cable but a converter in which I'm using an hdmi cable on the other end. Looking at the link you gave me it is a DVI-I to HDMI. Should I get something different? Try a different HDMI cable?

thank you very much btw.
I think the only other type of DVI is DVI-D, it is probably worth a shot because it is weird why it wouldn't be displaying anything. Before you buy though I would just check the pin configuration to make sure it will work with the port. I would maybe look into that and possible just a DVI to HDMI cable on Amazon or something since it should be pretty cheap.

aj1701

Noob

thank you very much btw.
No problem man, I hope you get this sorted. As ribbz says below, there's DVI-D. I think that's worth a shot. The problem is that DVI-I supports analog, which probably would not support HDCP, and may explain the problem. Do you still have the packaging for the converter though? Can you check to see if it says explicitly that it supports HDCP?

Again though, I'm confused. I'd think you'd get a degraded signal, not no signal.

Try this before you go and buy something else. Start with the PS3 off, press and hold the power button. It will beep and start, keep holding it. It will beep and shut off. Keep holding it, it will beep and start again. Keep holding until it starts a THIRD time or you get a signal. I know when I first tried to reset my display like this I didn't hold it long enough, it can take like 30 seconds to a minute to go through the whole power up, down, up down up sequence, and I just didn't wait long enough. If that doesn't work, and your DVI-I converter isn't HDCP or your not sure, hunt down a DVI-D converter.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
No problem man, I hope you get this sorted. As ribbz says below, there's DVI-D. I think that's worth a shot. The problem is that DVI-I supports analog, which probably would not support HDCP, and may explain the problem. Do you still have the packaging for the converter though? Can you check to see if it says explicitly that it supports HDCP?

Again though, I'm confused. I'd think you'd get a degraded signal, not no signal.

Try this before you go and buy something else. Start with the PS3 off, press and hold the power button. It will beep and start, keep holding it. It will beep and shut off. Keep holding it, it will beep and start again. Keep holding until it starts a THIRD time or you get a signal. I know when I first tried to reset my display like this I didn't hold it long enough, it can take like 30 seconds to a minute to go through the whole power up, down, up down up sequence, and I just didn't wait long enough. If that doesn't work, and your DVI-I converter isn't HDCP or your not sure, hunt down a DVI-D converter.
Thanks again!

I'll try the ps3 power button resets and then if not I'm sure I can get a cheap DVI-D converter at best buy or radio shack. My friend gave me the current converter so I have no idea if it is HDCP compatible or not.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Connecting my PS3 to monitor via HDMI to DVI isn't the issue, however...I still have no idea how I would connect speakers between the converter. Been trying to research this for a while now with no avail, wish I could just buy the ASUS and forget about my old 17 inch 2ms without integrated speakers lol

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Connecting my PS3 to monitor via HDMI to DVI isn't the issue, however...I still have no idea how I would connect speakers between the converter. Been trying to research this for a while now with no avail, wish I could just buy the ASUS and forget about my old 17 inch 2ms without integrated speakers lol
I had a wire that was hdmi on 1 side and dvi on the other. I would plug in the hdmi normally, hook the dvi into the monitor then take a normal component or composite set of wires and use those for audio. You have to go to ps3 settings and set the audio input method for it to work.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I had a wire that was hdmi on 1 side and dvi on the other. I would plug in the hdmi normally, hook the dvi into the monitor then take a normal component or composite set of wires and use those for audio. You have to go to ps3 settings and set the audio input method for it to work.
Interesting! Cool, thanks! I'll fiddle with that and try to get that to work!