What's new

Strategy Doomsday's jump d+3 ambiguous cross-up set-up

NKZero

Noob
Well it's a fairly simple concept but I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here or discovered so I thought I'll just put my findings down in any case.

Basically you do a combo: starter--MB Earth Shake--d+2--b+3--j+2--d+3. By ending in a sweep, you're opponent is in an untechable knockdown state meaning they cannot tech roll to escape the follow-up mix-up. However, they can wake-up attack so from then on it becomes a mind game of whether they'll wake-up or not (which you can potentially bait and punish etc.).

Once you finish your combo with d+3, you follow up with Doomsday's j+d+3. If you do a slight step back after the d+3 then you will hit him from the normal side. If you do half a step back or don't take a step back at all (better to do half a step back for ambiguity), you'll get a cross-up. The reason it's tough to block is because the opponent can't tell from you're distance moving back after d+3 on top of the jump-in attack being hard to see anyways because Doomsday is literally hitting you with his balls from the air so you cannot tell which side he'll land on.

I'm going to be honest, I still cannot tell sometimes which side he'll land on despite trying my steps technique as described above. I'll work on it even more thoroughly and make edits if need be. If this was known once again I apologise but I found nothing of the sort so I thought I would post it myself.

Let me know what you guys think.

GGA Jeremiah Metzos Perfect Legend @any Doomsday player (sorry new to the forum)

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
NKZero, this is known, to me at least, but really appreciate you created a thread for it. This can also be done after a MB AS. You dash in and either do a NJ d3, which leads to an ambiguous cross-up, or a half step back, which leads to a regular jump in.

Yeah, been doing this for awhile. Recommend dashing forward then doing vertical jump d3 after the sweep to reverse their inputs if you think they're going to do a wake up attack.

NKZero

Noob
Thanks to all who responded, there are some very useful posts here I can learn from. I'll be sure to contribute to the character should I make further discoveries. I'm having a blast with Doomsday.

I posted a few weeks ago that after a d3, you dash up and do a neutral jump d3 on Deathstroke. Not one of his wake ups will hit....either they whiff or you hit him with the d3. On the sword flip whiff you can do a ground venom before he recovers when you land.

Perhaps we can make a list of wake ups this works on.

MastererBetty

Your Tears My Strength
I posted a few weeks ago that after a d3, you dash up and do a neutral jump d3 on Deathstroke. Not one of his wake ups will hit....either they whiff or you hit him with the d3. On the sword flip whiff you can do a ground venom before he recovers when you land.

Perhaps we can make a list of wake ups this works on.

Want to add in on this that if you do the same setup off a D3, but instead do j.2 it beats out Superman Rising Grab clean which can be comboed in to f23 shoulder

So it looks like:
D3, Dash Forward, nj.2 (Superman gets hit in air from Rising Grab) f23, Chariot Tackle