What's new

Question - Killer Does Leatherface have any good matchups?

I'm trying to main Leatherface (Killer), but it seems like every single character I play against, I have to work like a slave just to get a victory -- zoners especially, like Kitana, Shinnock, Melina, etc. I'm too stubborn to pick up "pretty lady" because zoning is just not my style of play -- it makes my butt itch. In the "Killer" variation, I had to learn how to psycho rush cancel (db3, 1, 4) just to deal with zoners to an extent, but once I nullify the zoning aspect for a short time, I'm dealing with a whole new can of worms when they are in range, which is suppose to be Leatherface's strong point.

Leatherface has a plethora of slow attacks and his only fast attacks that can lead into combos, besides his 6 frame d3, are all highs. No solid mids whatsoever. People who like to poke, mainly Takeda, just piss in my cheerios whenever I go for his f1 -- they shut that down completely. I thought about using his psycho rush instead, but it's too slow for people who like to press buttons. Right now, my only way to open up people who don't respect Leatherface is with d3 into psycho rush, but it's useless w/o meter. It seems I have to rely on whiff punishes or people jumping back to get some heavy damage done, or any damage done for that matter. Let's be real, experienced players aren't falling for Leatherface's unblockable cancels. They uppercut that poor man to the heavens the moment he reaches for that chainsaw. It's too slow and even worse, it's not even safe. Building meter on high level players using "Killer" is tough and w/o meter or a solid mid, or an overhead that leads into a combo, he essentially becomes obsolete.

Also, Leatherface is punishable on just about every special move except for the psycho rush. I feel like Leatherface needs some buffs to make him a solid character all around. I don't think Leatherface (Killer) has any match-ups in his favor. "Killer" is extremely fun to play, but only against those who don't have that match-up knowledge. I feel like Bo Rai Cho is Leatherface's best match-up, being 5-5 and, in my opinion, it isn't saying much since Bo Rai Cho is one of the worse characters in the game. I could be wrong, but one thing for sure is that it's simply hard to win with Leatherface (Killer). I believe he should get the Jason treatment.

Possible buffs for Leatherface:
- give him a solid mid
- in the "Killer" variation, make his unblockable cancel safe like Tremor's rock cancel, expending one bar of stamina so he's not cancelling all day
- make his b1 17 frames from 27, giving him a true overhead

I tried to be gracious with that list. For all those who are trying to say Leatherface is a great character and doesn't need buffs, please name the match-ups that he wins.

EDIT: I'm uploading a couple of videos to show the difference between a Leatherface who is respected and a Leatherface who isn't. The purpose of this video is to show you how BAD Leatherface (Killer) actually is once you challenge him. Maybe then, requesting a solid mid for him wouldn't be too "crazy."

When you respect Leatherface:

When you disrespect Leatherface:

The only thing keeping Leatherface from being a good character is a mid. As you seen in the second video, there wasn't much he can do defensively. If you try to spin-sanity he can blow that up which is why I didn't go for it. Meter was essentially being used to stop pressure or keep him from coming, so I had to use it wisely. Any tips from pro players who know how to beat Takeda's pressure, please feel free to comment. Thanks.

Last edited:

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Each one of his variations has a safe special move, right? And f1 is 7 frames and has good range. Making that a mid would be a little crazy.

I dont see why his unblockable cancel needs to be safe. You have db3 1 for a reason. If they want to poke out of his pressure everytime delay the launcher after db3 and full combo them. The unblockable cancel should really only be used once the opponent refuses to challenge the chainsaw stance.

Each one of his variations has a safe special move, right? And f1 is 7 frames and has good range. Making that a mid would be a little crazy.
Correct, but I respectfully have to disagree with the second part. If we leave Leatherface w/o a solid mid, all he has to rely on is his psycho rush, which isn't fast enough in those dire moments.

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?
I'm just being honest, Leatherface makes me feel nauseous,
when he was announced for XL, I thought this game had gone to hell.
maybe it's that unlike Jason, Leatherface was a real man,
so i hope he sucks in all match-ups, losing 10-0 is not enough.

I dont see why his unblockable cancel needs to be safe. You have db3 1 for a reason. If they want to poke out of his pressure everytime delay the launcher after db3 and full combo them. The unblockable cancel should really only be used once the opponent refuses to challenge the chainsaw stance.
I would agree, but they are simply reacting to the animation for the unblockable. If I delay the psycho rush, I'm essentially giving up my turn since they are waiting for the unblockable animation. This is the only threat on block, so there's no reason to poke out unless they see that animation. Players who are quick to hit a button are more susceptible to the psycho rush delay, but the best players are patient which makes it even harder to win and get away with a successful attack from the berserker stance.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Leatherface's D3 has great range and at 6 frame it's great on startup too, use that to get your opponent to respect you and start blocking. Then start applying pressure with your highs while they're blocking. Then if they stop respecting you after D3 you can do D3~DB3~1 and catch them for a full combo. You really have to space yourself properly with Leatherface.

Correct, but I respectfully have to disagree with the second part. If we leave Leatherface w/o a solid mid, all he has to rely on is his psycho rush, which isn't fast enough in those dire moments.
Making F1 a mid would be crazy. It's a high because it's a 7f forward-advancing punisher that can be made safe on block and on hit can convert into huge damage. Making it a mid, giving him better cancels and increasing the speed of B1 would just make him another 50/50 pressure monster and the game doesn't need any more of those. The character is fine, you just need to work on using him to his full potential.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
You have an unreactable, (mostly) safe overhead in B2. If done from max range, it's basically safe. Why can't you condition them with B2 and then start using f1 once they respect b2? F1 as a 7f mid that you can make safe with Beserker Stance and leads to a full combo on hit is a terrible idea.

Rude

Leatherface's D3 has great range and at 6 frame it's great on startup too, use that to get your opponent to respect you and start blocking. Then start applying pressure with your highs while they're blocking. Then if they stop respecting you after D3 you can do D3~DB3~1 and catch them for a full combo. You really have to space yourself properly with Leatherface.
Mark this day in history, because I agree.

Making F1 a mid would be crazy. It's a high because it's a 7f forward-advancing punisher that can be made safe on block and on hit can convert into huge damage. Making it a mid, giving him better cancels and increasing the speed of B1 would just make him another 50/50 pressure monster and the game doesn't need any more of those. The character is fine, you just need to work on using him to his full potential.
He would be a monster, I have to agree. I just think all top tier characters dominate leather face. Giving him more to work with would increase his chances on winning.

You have an unreactable, (mostly) safe overhead in B2. If done from max range, it's basically safe. Why can't you condition them with B2 and then start using f1 once they respect b2? F1 as a 7f mid that you can make safe with Beserker Stance and leads to a full combo on hit is a terrible idea.
I see what you're saying. I usually hit the b3 when they try to wake up or when I shutdown the zoning. But there's a lot i have to do first before I use b3. In mid screen it usually gets beat by the projectiles, so I have to make my opponent think twice before throwing them before I can effectively use his b3. I will be posting a video soon to show how leather face has to perform just to get a win.

Rude

I see what you're saying. I usually hit the b3 when they try to wake up or when I shutdown the zoning. But there's a lot i have to do first before I use b3. In mid screen it usually gets beat by the projectiles, so I have to make my opponent think twice before throwing them before I can effectively use his b3. I will be posting a video soon to show how leather face has to perform just to get a win.
I'm not talking about b3. I'm talking about his overhead, which is ridiculously good.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
F1 a mid? :S It's an advancing high with good range and has a string follow up that reaches half screen, it's fine. What he needs is the + frames he used to have with the F4 restand, seriously, what a pointless nerf, it never used to guarantee anything besides s1, s2 or f1 pressure, now it guarantees a d3 check. :/

I meant B1, sorry. It's good when the player respects LF, I would agree, but LF has a hard time hitting Kung Lao because Lao is always on the move.
He's not talking about B1. He's talking about B2, which is an incredibly good long-range unreactable overhead that AA's and is safe if spaced properly. It's a really good tool.

He's not talking about B1. He's talking about B2, which is an incredibly good long-range unreactable overhead that AA's and is safe if spaced properly. It's a really good tool.
Oh yeah, that is really good. I thought we were talking about b1all this time. I use b1 into psycho rush for full combo. I guess I would have to change up my style to find use in all his tools. I rarely use knockdowns like B2 or bf3.

I rarely use knockdowns like B2 or bf3.
You don't use the midscreen 50/50? You really should. It's safe against jump-ins (B2 will reliably AA at that range and BF3 will go under their jump) and it's a good way to get people to respect you from a distance. You have all that range, it's silly not to make use of it.

B1 into BS1 is good for a combo, but as you've mentioned B1 is unreliable without lots of conditioning because it's so easy to react to. You just have to be creative about how you open people up since you don't have an easy 50/50 to start a combo.

You don't use the midscreen 50/50? You really should. It's safe against jump-ins (B2 will reliably AA at that range and BF3 will go under their jump) and it's a good way to get people to respect you from a distance. You have all that range, it's silly not to make use of it.

B1 into BS1 is good for a combo, but as you've mentioned B1 is unreliable without lots of conditioning because it's so easy to react to. You just have to be creative about how you open people up since you don't have an easy 50/50 to start a combo.
Yeah, like I'm used to pressure characters so I'm basically trying to use LF like Erron Black and it has a ton of success when I'm respected. I suppose implementing his mid screen 50/50 wouldn't hurt at all.