What's new

Question Does Grundy Go Even Vs. Scorpion?

I'm inclined to think that any character that can get a good punish off of a D1 stands a good chance. You can punish his teleport on whiff easily and you may even be able to interrupt his MB teleport. Not sure about that, tho. Have to test that.

I really start to think that when Scorpion is left untouched and people are getting the hang of the MU, he will drop down on the tier list immensly. Scorpions game will not evolve past his scrubby, random shit but the rest of the cast will evolve to deal with him.
The issue isn't the teleport though. The real issue is his jump hit box on 1 and 3. Most characters have no answer for it. he can force you into a fuzzy situation where you have to l/r block and he almost always does a MB teleport if its not outside a combo. He doesn't use the mb spear in combos very often he just goes for situation resets so he always has meter for the teleport and if he doesn't he's mostly neutral jumping. It felt like sf 2 guile vs cpu zangief you just neutral jump and hit him when he gets close. He doesn't do any of the ground mix ups that I've seen like b1 and b2 because you could potentially react to them. His hellfire use is reserved for 100% safe situations for him. if you're full screen and can't punish a hellfire he'll just do it some times. Even if you react to it you're not getting anything except closer to him but that doesn't really matter. The key to the match is punished the neutral jump and keeping spacing so he can't forward jump on you but the hitbox/hurtbox on jump 1 make it difficult. its not so much the instant overheads or it being too fast to anti air its the spacing it extends a bit further out than the AA grab so it just flat beats it at times.

Tried this a bit against REO. Its kind of difficult to do and he can simply not wake up and jump which puts you back into his vortex.

Anyway taking into account reo is much better than I am right now I'd say its 6-4 scorpion maybe 5-5. Grundy can do well but he has to play almost perfect. The biggest issue I had was jump 1 and neutral jumping. It's difficult to time an AA grab on a neutral jump consistently. The jump 1 is difficult to AA grab or d2. Its somewhat like batmans jump 2 if you've ever had a time where you ddi an AA grab and it just didn't grab him but you got hit instead except it happens a bit more consistently. Possibly scorpions hurt box changes a bit when he uses it. I dont notice the issue against jump 3 at all. REO didn't go for damage in his combo's it was almost pure meter building so he could mb teleport whenever he wanted.

In the end scorpion dictates the pace of the match even more than a deathstroke match.

I'm not sure that I'd say he's overpowered to the point of needing a ban but I think he's strong enough it may take several months to really get down how to figth a high level scorpion and win consistently.

I tried to record the matches but we played on ps3 and couldn't get my lgp to work on ps3. still not sure why on that one but there didn't seem to be a signal from the component even after I adjusted it.

Yea N.Jumps can blow the setup sometimes its very time depend on doing this right before the wake up. By timing it right before the wake up you will still have armor from WC or if you do slighly earlier you can mash out armor trait before the NJ.3. Not all scorpions can be REO but all of them can be scubby and this I feel is the best at lessening the scrrubiness. Things like this are hard to visualize when I get free time today I try to get a vid posted for you all

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
I've only played Reo's scorp with Grundy and went 1-1. Also, this doesn't mean much cause it was online before the nerf. I would have to play a lot more vs him to figure it out, but it might be pretty close to even. I also think you can ex trait an ex tele, have to test. Also, I think AA Grab beats j1 & j3

I've only played Reo's scorp with Grundy and went 1-1. Also, this doesn't mean much cause it was online before the nerf. I would have to play a lot more vs him to figure it out, but it might be pretty close to even. I also think you can ex trait an ex tele, have to test. Also, I think AA Grab beats j1 & j3
Post patch reo seems a lot better than pre patch.

AA grab beats j3 in almost all situations. It beats j1 if he's close but hte j1 hitbox is broken. Patch notes actually indicate they're fixing it. Probably won't be able to instant overhead with it and it won't extend absurdly far past his foot. J3 may not cross up anymore but to me it wasn't too bad it was pretty similiar to deathstroke and green arrows.

So the issue was really the jump 1 would allow him to jump in if spaced right and I couldn't anti air. Trait on a mb teleport didn't work when I tried it. Either you grab the wrong way or you get hit by the 2nd hit of the teleport. I think there were ungrabble frames too. walking corpse was almost better because the first hit connected but the second hit whiffed. If you anticipated and did a reverse input on the WCC you actually might be able to punish the mb teleport.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Post patch reo seems a lot better than pre patch.

AA grab beats j3 in almost all situations. It beats j1 if he's close but hte j1 hitbox is broken. Patch notes actually indicate they're fixing it. Probably won't be able to instant overhead with it and it won't extend absurdly far past his foot. J3 may not cross up anymore but to me it wasn't too bad it was pretty similiar to deathstroke and green arrows.

So the issue was really the jump 1 would allow him to jump in if spaced right and I couldn't anti air. Trait on a mb teleport didn't work when I tried it. Either you grab the wrong way or you get hit by the 2nd hit of the teleport. I think there were ungrabble frames too. walking corpse was almost better because the first hit connected but the second hit whiffed. If you anticipated and did a reverse input on the WCC you actually might be able to punish the mb teleport.
Like I said, I haven't played him post patch and he also steamrolled my bane. I couldve sworn you can ex trait. Mustve been mistaken. I'm gonna play some offline tonight and figure out some shit. Thanks.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
grundy seems to be able to compete with scorpion alright,
his d2,aa grab and damage output alone on paper would make it very fightable.
havnt played it enough with either character to put a number on it