What's new

Does anyone know what kind of screwdriver i need to open up a dualshock 2 controller?

Hello friends, I like many of you play with dualshock 2 and inpin, but sometimes the joystick does some crazy stuff that messes up my play (like randomly jumping or walking in one direction). to remedy this i have decided simply to open up the controller and remove the sticks, but when i tried to use a small phillips head screwdriver it ground off the edgesand now i cant even open one of my controllers. if there's a specific screwdriver head that i need to open it then it would be cool to know before i mess up my last controller. Thanks in advance for the assistance

also, it just says phillips head screwdriver according to the other sources. this is why i wasnt sure because i used a phillips head and just ended up messing up the screws

KRYS9984

Noob
A Pocket or Precision Phillips Screwdriver will usually do the trick.

I recently took apart my PS3 controller (which uses similar screws) and had no issues with loosening, tightening or stripping the screws.

You really want to use the smallest screwdriver available to assure the entire head will fit within the screw. A standard small size screwdriver is still too large for the job, only the tip will fit in and as you turn, you risk stripping the screw.

Below is a perfect example of the tool you would need (all the way on the left). Even though the second to the left screwdriver would fit, it's still too large and can potentially ruin your controller.

KRYS9984

Noob
thanks Killphil and KRYS9984 i hant thought to use an eyeglass kit.
lol zoidberg...
It's actually one of the best tools to use if you have one lying around.

Just one rule of thumb:

- When putting your controller back together, go for tight not stripped; apply adequate force to the screw and try not to go any further.

If you happen to go further, Zoidbergs method is the only thing that will save your controller. :D