What's new

Do you think there's enough punishment on block in the game?

Do you think there's enough punishment on block in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 70.0%

• Total voters

Gaxkang

Banned
Then you aren’t playing against very good players. I have had plenty of counterpokes, etc flawless blocked along with the multi-hit strings.
If the actual game is reserved only for top top players offline, and everyone else is sorta left to flopping around like fish, sounds like something went off with a design concept. IMO.

Other day I set up a situation of a character mashing a 6 or 7 frame D1 with my character as point blank range and see how that went with punishing, what I learned wasn't a pleasant thing heh.
Basically the safest bet was to keep blocking and be pushed away, assuming they kept mashing that much.

Gaxkang

Banned
There is a lot of moves that are very jank to punish.

Chop chop, Kano ball etc.

Sub zeros slide springs to mind, depending on how far away he does it you can or cannot do certain strings to punish. I've had mid strings just whiff for no reason after blocking it.

I'm probably trash but just think SOME moves should be a 100% of the time easy punish with any string.

I'd prefer if there was a more uniform blockstun after punishable moves, not some where you have to hit the instant you block and others you're sat blocking for ages.
For real unsafe specials I feel like there should be two avenues universally available for each character, that they can either uppercut, or do a full combo punish with a S1 or S2 string and that the ranges involved would simply work. Including unsafe frames, so the person never gets a block.

That way players of different styles or skills could do the punishment they want or can do at the time.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
If playing a promoted or key part of the game is bad, again, bad design concept afoot IMO.

They could add a disclaimer perhaps. :D
Nobody said it's bad. You can't expect to be up to date with a game's competitive scene just based off of online, in any game.

It's not bad design, it's impossible design. If you're on a competitive site and are discussing the game from a competitive POV without even being up to date on the last 5 months of a 6 months release, that's a "you" kind of bad design.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
If people would actually just lab the game 90% of these issues wouldnt exist let alone playing the tutorial. But online seems to be the new gospel.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
For real unsafe specials I feel like there should be two avenues universally available for each character, that they can either uppercut, or do a full combo punish with a S1 or S2 string and that the ranges involved would simply work. Including unsafe frames, so the person never gets a block.

That way players of different styles or skills could do the punishment they want or can do at the time.
Can't you can do this already? Am I missing something? If you block something, you usually can punish with a s1 or s2 string, or your 9f mid if you have one, or a throw. if you block a d1, you can usually hit them with your d1. If you duck a block, you can d2 them or you can punish them with something else, or throw them back. I dunno. There's tons of options. The information is also given to you if you in training mode and match replays. I don't know what you want. Stuff is punishable.

I'll admit, some stuff is wonky to punish, but it's still punishable. You just gotta practice or, if you don't practice, try mid match to punish your opponent when you block something that you think is punishable. Start with a d1 as that usually your fastest move. If that works, move to your s1 or whatever button you choose.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
That is to say, when you block stuff whether do you feel you can do something enough? Do more than puny damage, if you are able to do something? Or just be able to create space? Are people taking enough risks when they do something and it's blocked?

I myself think it's a mess and holds the game back. It might or might not work out better in offline PVP, but online fights...ouch. It can feel like a festival of being safe or plus, and offense being king. And punishing a poke...doubtful. And if you can punish something it's usually gonna be a D1 which may mean...that's it. You may end up going for throws too much really because that's all you may be able to do or feel you can do. Only the most unsafe of unsafe stuff will truly get tagged and even that sometimes might buckle.

I feel like it's just missing punishing and there's this empty space in the game.
Jade is literally not scary to do stupid shit against. Scorpion can just keep teleporting because the best you can do is a d4 or maybe a d2 while if he hits you, you're losing half your healthbar.

It's ridiculous.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
With shit like d1s having low negative frames, fatal blows having too much pushback, and some specials not leaving characters as minus as they should be; I'd say there isn't enough punishment
I actually agree with you immensely on the Fatal blows they have armor they should not be safe yes I know the armor has startup

Gaxkang

Banned
Can't you can do this already? Am I missing something? If you block something, you usually can punish with a s1 or s2 string, or your 9f mid if you have one, or a throw. if you block a d1, you can usually hit them with your d1. If you duck a block, you can d2 them or you can punish them with something else, or throw them back. I dunno. There's tons of options. The information is also given to you if you in training mode and match replays. I don't know what you want. Stuff is punishable.

I'll admit, some stuff is wonky to punish, but it's still punishable. You just gotta practice or, if you don't practice, try mid match to punish your opponent when you block something that you think is punishable. Start with a d1 as that usually your fastest move. If that works, move to your s1 or whatever button you choose.
In training mode let's take Sub Zero's slide and say Kano. Kano can punish with S2 string, F1 string, D1, Snake Bite, etc. Sometimes you can uppercut, which means one shouldn't uppercut.
S1 won't work really.

But then I had an online fight with a Sub Zero and on a blocked slide D1 couldn't punish. But even in training mode if one experiments with pausing after blocking the slide...the punishment window is smaller than one might expect of a highly effective unreactable slide that also had powerful krushing blow damage.
A normal human reaction on blocking it should be enough to punish...whether that holds online is variable. Even offline a slight slight delay can render the slide safe.

But that's all just over a move that is supposed to be real punishable. Using one's fast move, a D1 or D3 to see what's punishable or not when you block a string or a special or a single hit that is definitely a way to go. The troubling feeling in a fight is if you notice almost everything an opponent does is not punishable by your fastest move.

Last edited:

Gaxkang

Banned
Nobody said it's bad. You can't expect to be up to date with a game's competitive scene just based off of online, in any game.

It's not bad design, it's impossible design. If you're on a competitive site and are discussing the game from a competitive POV without even being up to date on the last 5 months of a 6 months release, that's a "you" kind of bad design.
But I'm not in the competitive area heh. :D

And I can't say I am looking to be up to date with a competitive scene, I'm simply looking at how the game plays I think for lots of folks including myself and what it feels like it's missing. And people play online, and the game encourages them to.

I don't think most players are flawless blocking all over the place, much less doing it to sudden pokes and so forth. Those that can do it that's cool for them, but lots of folks are not or cannot, etc.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
If the actual game is reserved only for top top players offline, and everyone else is sorta left to flopping around like fish, sounds like something went off with a design concept. IMO.

Other day I set up a situation of a character mashing a 6 or 7 frame D1 with my character as point blank range and see how that went with punishing, what I learned wasn't a pleasant thing heh.
Basically the safest bet was to keep blocking and be pushed away, assuming they kept mashing that much.
I’m just wondering who you’re playing against. I’ve had plenty of things flawless blocked online by players in Kombat League who were not Sonic Fox or Ninjakilla.

It’s not gonna happen at Champion rank, obviously. You have to rank up. But the better players you are playing against, the better their defense will be.

I feel like people are playing against bad players and complaining that everything isn’t punishable. Convince a decent player to play a set with you and it will change your perspective on how deadly effective flawless block actually becomes in the right hands (online, not even offline).

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
But I'm not in the competitive area heh. :D

And I can't say I am looking to be up to date with a competitive scene, I'm simply looking at how the game plays I think for lots of folks including myself and what it feels like it's missing. And people play online, and the game encourages them to.

I don't think most players are flawless blocking all over the place, much less doing it to sudden pokes and so forth. Those that can do it that's cool for them, but lots of folks are not or cannot, etc.
You're literally posting on a competitive mk site, regardless of how it's unfortunately run.

And if you're not interested in keeping up with 6 month old news on the game, a lot of which is already here, on a site you frequent, why even bother making a thread or even posting tbh.

I actually agree with you immensely on the Fatal blows they have armor they should not be safe yes I know the armor has startup
i believe all of them are unsafe but they have these goofy ass activations, like they hit full screen, half screen, tracking, etc. this combined with the pushback they have make them almost unlikely to be punished

Gaxkang

Banned
I’m just wondering who you’re playing against. I’ve had plenty of things flawless blocked online by players in Kombat League who were not Sonic Fox or Ninjakilla.

It’s not gonna happen at Champion rank, obviously. You have to rank up. But the better players you are playing against, the better their defense will be.

I feel like people are playing against bad players and complaining that everything isn’t punishable. Convince a decent player to play a set with you and it will change your perspective on how deadly effective flawless block actually becomes in the right hands (online, not even offline).
Highest I've fought is master rank, highest rank I been is master. On a side note they should make the matchmaking points system work better...I know it's real bad in the highest ranks when they lose to a lower rank and it's not great lower on the ladder either. And wins off lower ranks give minimal points.

Still seems like punishing...the true punishing shouldn't be locked behind such a thing as flawless blocking which you indicate is a thing in top ranks. IMO.

That is to say, when you block stuff whether do you feel you can do something enough? Do more than puny damage, if you are able to do something? Or just be able to create space? Are people taking enough risks when they do something and it's blocked?

I myself think it's a mess and holds the game back. It might or might not work out better in offline PVP, but online fights...ouch. It can feel like a festival of being safe or plus, and offense being king. And punishing a poke...doubtful. And if you can punish something it's usually gonna be a D1 which may mean...that's it. You may end up going for throws too much really because that's all you may be able to do or feel you can do. Only the most unsafe of unsafe stuff will truly get tagged and even that sometimes might buckle.

I feel like it's just missing punishing and there's this empty space in the game.
This game is jank as shit. You block and still cand defend. Broken af with some character