What's new

Digital Foundry's Stress Test Tech Breakdown

Juxtapose

Warrior
Digital Foundry just released their tech breakdown of the Stress Test, having access to the Xbox Series versions:

The game is on Unreal Engine 4, not 5 as they first suspected, but that still means it's a new engine from the previous trilogy. It's native 4K at 60 FPS on Xbox Series X with dynamic scaling resolution and the cinematics, Fatal Blows, etc. are once again at 30 FPS. I'd expect PlayStation 5 to be the same. On Xbox Series S, it's 1080p at 60 FPS with DRS, though cinematics and such are 1440p at 30 FPS. Outside of resolution, other visual settings appear to be a match for Xbox Series X (@Cobainevermind87 ).

Kratilim

Dojo Trainee
That version from 2022 was quite unstable. The studio I worked for at the time opted to use ue4 for preproduction and switch once Ue5 ran smoother. Nrs might have chosen to use Ue4 because of its stability. Also, as Digital Foundry mentioned, Ue4 is more compatible with other platforms like the switch.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Was hoping for 60fps FB's and cinematics. Oh well.
I'll never understand this... I mean the fatal is just a cut sequence... I mean is 25fps is fine for film and crazy shit like Fast X it is good enough for these sequences. It literally makes NO DIFFERENCE.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
I'll never understand this... I mean the fatal is just a cut sequence... I mean is 25fps is fine for film and crazy shit like Fast X it is good enough for these sequences. It literally makes NO DIFFERENCE.
Whats there to understand? Its the same thing as wanting a game to run at 60fps while some don't care and are content with 30fps. There's clearly a difference and I find 60fps way smoother and nicer to look at, cinematics or not. Sure, its not as dealbreaking as not having the game itself run at a smooth framerate, but it would be nice to have as an option at least.

Just let people choose their prefered option between graphics and framerate. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Juxtapose

Warrior
For me I'm more surprised from the technical standpoint. I'd fully expect the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X to be able to render these out at 60 FPS.

It's absolutely not a deal breaker to me at all, 30 FPS intros and Fatal Blows doesn't bother me at all, again, more a curiosity.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
i hope Mortal Kombat 1 includes VRR supported mode in graphic options. Street Fighter 6 amazing on VRR screen.

Jynks

Apparently this is Dragon, who works as QA Tester in the Beta and has had a lot of time with the game.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
don't fighting games need constant frame rates so all the timing works consistently? Like say you do a move with X start up... dosn't that "x" need to be the same everytime?
i think you need a pro Info on VRR,

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Yup. And from what I understand, in Street Fighter VI, it only really helps in World Tour since that game mode has an unstable frame rate.
LoL who said that? VRR is all about how your screen response to data that coming from your gaming device. This Info definetely written in lack of knowladge, sorry.

Jynks

Yup. And from what I understand, in Street Fighter VI, it only really helps in World Tour since that game mode has an unstable frame rate.
LoL who said that? VRR is all about how your screen response to data that coming from your gaming device. This Info definetely written in lack of knowladge, sorry.
According to google.. VRR support in fighting need a SF6 mod, as it is only in world tour mode.. and the mod dose change frame data...

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
According to google.. VRR support in fighting need a SF6 mod, as it is only in world tour mode.. and the mod dose change frame data...
Forget those ppl then, VRR also reduces input lag and screen tearings in actual fight. if VRR activated on your screen it does effect all the game modes, not a specific one, it is not about the game you are playing, it is about your screen.

Jynks

I'm confused... I'll leave this to you techy dudes.. I'll just put the game in the slot and play lol