What's new

Determining Frame Rate?

Seapeople

This one's for you
I was just wondering how people test the frame rates for certain moves. Also how do you figure out how much advantage a move grants on block?

Pistol

Noob
Old school way...

Have a friend pick the same character, have him block the move you want to test, both of you immediately press the same button (ex. 1, d1). See which one wins out, and test again to make sure it's consistent.

Eternal

Noob
do people take screen shoots of the moves while in game and count the fps that way? I know it works with genesis emulators

Or maybe they get their hand on the source code for the game.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Generally, if there is no official frame data made available by the developers, people use 60fps cameras and record all attacks. They're played back at 1fps and frames are counted from there.

DrDogg

Noob
Frame data is not frame rate. The frame rate is the speed of the game, frame data is the execution speed and recovery of a specific attack. We already know MK9 runs at a frame rate of 60 fps.

The easiest way to determine frame data is if you have a point of reference. For example, Tekken 6 has no official frame data, but we have "official" frame data for just about every other Tekken game. We also know that every jab in Tekken 6 is 10 frames. Using that information, you pick a mirror match and start testing attacks in the way Pistol described.

Unfortunately, we can't use this method with MK9 because we have no point of reference. You can potentially use a 60 fps capture device and then play the footage back at 1 fps like THTB suggests, but that only works in games like Tekken and Soul Calibur in which you don't have to worry about active frames. In these games, the attack connects on the last execution frame and essentially only connects for 1 frame.

In a game like SF, attacks have active frames. So a jab might execute in 3 frames, but it's active for another 5 frames before the recovery kicks in. You can test frame data in a game like this with the THTB method, but it's far more difficult and time consuming.

Without a debug mode, or some point of reference, I don't think we'll be able to figure out exact frame data for MK9. However, in the worst case, we can create our own point of reference (e.g. assume/pretend Cage's jab is 10 frames) and go from there. At the very least, we can determine what's safe and unsafe relatively easily. As well as what has advantage on block.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Pistol, great idea I'm sure some people will do that once the game hits.