What's new

Dedicatd UMK3 Cabinet Build Commision

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
I was contacted by a YouTube user about commissioning me to build a dedicated UMK3 cabinet from scratch because he wanted something brand new. He felt it was the only way to acquire a good, clean cabinet. I said "sure" and that I was up to the challenge, but I won't be able to start for a while because I am still working in Afghanistan. It would be a great idea because I could chronicle all the items and pitfalls involved in doing something like this so anyone else out there could know how to do it themselves as well as where/how to get the parts needed for the project.

Like I said, it might take a while, so stay tuned until I can get started...!

THURO

Noob
MK3fan This is exactly what I want to do, I was looking for all the artwork last night and that's how I found this page. I want to kind of a rough estimate of how much it's going to cost me before I actually undertake the project, but this is in my opinion definitely the way to go.

YourMKArcadeSource

Well, the monitor alone, for a brand new one, will be $500-550. If you want to use a TV, that would be considerable less, but going through a CGA to S-Video/Composite converter will cause you to lose a lot of the image quality. Just my opinion. The side art, marquee and control panel art will be around $300. Wood and supplies will range from $200-300 assuming you already have all the tools needed.

Best case scenario, you're looking at $1000 or maybe a little less depending on whether you want to use an arcade monitor or a TV.

Worst case would be probably $1500 if you have to re-do something do to mistakes or unforeseen issues.

All in all, if you can find ANY dedicated MK cabinet, you can convert it to UMK3 for MUCH less than building one from scratch. I won't be able to accomplish this project or even start on it until roughly this time next year (June 2013) due to my job.

THURO

Noob
Yup I was thinking of going the conversion route as well. I found a cabinet for a really good price but the monitor doesn't work they said it needs to be replaced which if it does, then the price is no good. haha. I'll keep my eyes open and see if I can score one for a good price. Thanks for the reply.

YourMKArcadeSource

"Replaced" is a final decision that someone who is probably ignorant on monitor repair would say. If the tube is good, all you'd need would be a replacement chassis and those are only $100. If the tube is bad, then you are looking at the more expensive side of things. If you could get more info about the monitor, I could probably help you further. Things like does the tube have neck glow? Is it totally dead? Are the colors messed up? Is there voltage going to it? Are they sure the isolation transformer is working? Could be any number of easy fixes. Could be as simply as a new flyback transformer or Horizontal Output Transistor. Pics of the monitor chassis would be extremely helpful.

intruder

Noob
Hey there nice to see people building cabs today :)
I personally owned a dedicated MK1 Cab the Monitor was a "Wells Gardner" very expensive here in Germany
I had to sold the Cabinet due 2 less space in our new home, so i went on to
build an Killer Instinct mini Cab from Scratch.
Here is a pic what i did
ki.jpg
Greetings :)