What's new

Breakthrough Dealing With BA's BS

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Just been working out a few things to take Black Adam down a few notches. Hope you find some useful tidbits in here.

FOO-FOO-FOOTDIVE!

I've been messing around with what appears to be an exceptionally reliable way to punish Black Adam's dominant Boot Stomp attack for as much as 34%. Anytime you see Black Adam jump and you believe Boot Stomp is coming, wait until he's at the peak of his jump and jump back. You can j3 on reaction to catch him after he hits the ground, even if he goes under you and lands behind you. You can then combo into 323-f23-Sword Flip for 34% and a hard knockdown. If you have trouble connecting 323 after j3, you can always f23-Sword Flip for 25% and a hard knockdown, though you'll need to predict which side BA will land on before you input f23.

If he's around sweep distance or closer when he uses Boot Stomp, you just have to make sure your j3 hits as he crosses under you. His priority seems to be based on height relation, so if he's below you when you trade, your attack will win out. I haven't tested this too in depth, but Boot Stomp appears to beat Sword Flip whenever it hits above me, and Sword Flip beats Boot Stomp whenever I can get it to arc onto the top of BA's hitbox.

Here's a little video of this strategy in action. My girlfriend recorded while I played against the recorded footdives, so I couldn't see the left side of the screen, making it a little difficult to react to those Boot Stomps.

BLACK MAGIC

This is actually more dangerous to Black Adam than it is to Deathstroke. Every blocked or jumped Black Magic can be punished with Quick Fire. I save my meter for MB Quick Fire punishes, which do 16% damage. That basically means BA should suffer 16% damage every time he uses Black Magic. I highly recommend going into practice mode, setting BA to Black Magic Reversals, and practicing getting down the timing for reversal Quick Fire. It's one of the easier moves to do a reversal on, and definitely worth the practice.

Be careful about using Air Quick Fire against Black Adam, because the hitbox on Black Magic is actually pretty high, and can lead to massive damage on hit. The lowest safe zone only allows a single bullet to connect with BA's head for about 2% damage, but if you whiff BA can punish with Black Magic for massive damage. Don't get me wrong, Air Quick Fire is extremely useful in this MU for reasons that will be covered shortly; just be careful because they can get you into a lot of trouble if you get too predictable. If BA blocks your Air Quick Fire, Deathstroke can still land and jump before any of BA's reversal options will connect, making this an extremely effective and frustrating strategy for BA to deal with, as long as you can keep your Quick Fire height right at head level.

LIGHTNING STRIKE

And this is where Air Quick Fire really shines. If you can get to where a single bullet strikes Black Adam right in his stupid forehead, that's the sweet spot. Once you've got that pretty much consistent, you can play a simple game of jumping forward or back and using Air Quick Fire or landing into Low Quick Fire for a ghetto mixup. Anytime you successfully hit Black Adam, even if it's just that one bullet, you can use High Quickfire without fear of retribution. If Black Adam jumps while you are airborne, you can Air Quick Fire on reaction.

If you ever block a Lightning Strike, you should jump. You can't punish it, so really jumping is your only option. If he ever whiffs a Lightning Strike, which will happen a lot with all that jumping, you can land and MB Quick Fire for 16%. If he hits you with a Lightning Strike, you can wakeup Quick Fire, which will catch him if he's doing anything other than blocking. If he hits you with MB Lightning Strike, you must be prepared to block a follow-up Lightning Strike or Black Magic. You can't even jump out; you must block.

LIGHTNING CAGE WAKEUP

Do not try to pressure Black Adam. His Lightning Cage wakeup will catch anything you can throw at him. If you test the waters and get a good read that he's going to use it, you can MB b3 for a 36% punish (MB.b3-j3-323-f23-Sword Flip). If you don't have meter, using Low Quick Fire as he wakes up is typically your best bet.

GENERAL STRATEGY

You really want to keep as much distance between you and him as possible. All of his insane damage is based on close-ranged combos or Black Magic, and after 10 seconds of fighting Deathstroke, he should realize what a bad idea Black Magic is. As long as you're patient with your jumping Quick Fire loops, there's really not much he can do. If he jumps to go for a Boot Stomp to close the gap, you can Air Quickfire on reaction. If you're grounded, you can use the Anti-Boot-Stomp strategy discussed above. Like a lot of the cast, if you can keep him at range and remain in that sweet spot above the hitbox of Black Magic, he really has no options.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Very nice write up here. tl;dr version that I'm taking away from this: Stay away, stay airborne.
Yeah, as long as you're airborne and at least 3/4 of the screen away, he basically can't do anything except try to Boot Stomp or catch you with Black Magic, both of which are exceptionally dangerous for him.

mr.sagat

CVS2 beast, Injustice scrub :(
J3 to blow up foot dive is great. I don't play online and never fought a Black Adam, I was thinking an armored Back 3 might would work, but your method is effective and consistent with no meter usage. I will go to the lab tomorrow and try to see if I can blow the foot dive up using similar neutral jump setups with my other characters.

I wonder if Deathstroke or others can punish Supes and ww's dive with this same tech...??? Something else to try tomorrow, lol

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
It's a shame stuff like this doesn'take the front page.

Great stuff bro. I love how strong the DS community is.
Thanks, Vagrant. I'm actually working on a comprehensive Deathstroke guide, similar to my Ultimate Kano Guide from way back when. I'll release it as soon as I can record all the necessary videos.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
J3 to blow up foot dive is great. I don't play online and never fought a Black Adam, I was thinking an armored Back 3 might would work, but your method is effective and consistent with no meter usage. I will go to the lab tomorrow and try to see if I can blow the foot dive up using similar neutral jump setups with my other characters.

I wonder if Deathstroke or others can punish Supes and ww's dive with this same tech...??? Something else to try tomorrow, lol
B3 does work as long as you use it early enough. I've actually seen BA connect with Deathstroke while I was armored with MB.b3 and he was still able to block before the b3 actually connected. I believe j3 is a better punish because it's meterless, you suffer no damage, and you can Air Quick Fire if they don't use Boot Stomp. B3 is too easily baited.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Jump back 3 is very good against Black Adam and Killer Frost.

If you stay at the right range, you can chip Black Adam with Low Shots and anti air jumping attacks, including dive kicks, using the sword flip. Even though you may not get all the hits sometimes, you will get the all important knock down.

Reversal sword spin actually punishes dive kick when he hits your belly. If he hits you lower, he is safe. But I do not believe that he can ever punish you for trying to spin after a blocked dive kick, even when executed perfectly.

Always stand block when he is close to you. He has a long-ranged overhead but no scary low attacks. Everyone should be able to react to lightning at all ranges. Just crouch as soon as you see the cloud appear behind Black Adam.

Black Adam's strength is his grounded and aerial mobility and damage output. If you fall too far behind, making a comeback is very difficult.

this is universally a wonderful tactic, i typical just instant air on reaction with a char like deathstroke, but the full punish is so tasty, ill have to see if i can work this into my other characters.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Reversal sword spin actually punishes dive kick when he hits your belly. If he hits you lower, he is safe. But I do not believe that he can ever punish you for trying to spin after a blocked dive kick, even when executed perfectly.
This is good information