What's new

Question - Thunder God db2 run cancel

omooba

fear the moobs
is any of his strings canceled into this plus on hit?
feel like this could be useful at the end of a combo where you've used db1 already but mostly want it for troll purposes

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Yeah as Denny said, I'm pretty sure that's the only good way to use the db2 cancel. Don't think any cancels are +.

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
I don't know if it changed in this patch, but I brought up this same question a few months back. It is unclear if the game lets you use both an LRC and a db2C(vbc) in the same combo. Last patch it wasn't possible to do both in one combo, and if it was then I couldn't get it to come out. (would always get dash instead of run) Maybe that has changed.
Regardless, I don't think any VBCs are plus because you have to wait the entire start up (15 frames) before it is possible to cancel.

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
Oh my that is VERY nice to remember. I wonder if this also works on stuff like Smoke's or Quan's teleport.
Idk about smoke, but I'd assume so. Quan will get blown up by the ex for sure. I believe the regular vb will punish it as well. VB is also great for anyone who thinks crossing up Raiden is a good idea.

DDutchguy

Just went to the lab for a bit. Db2 catches Takeda's whiffed air teleport, Ermac's air teleport, Goro's stomp, Possessed Kenshi's teleport, Quan's and Smoke's teleport.

Shinnok's tricky portal can also be caught, though you have to have db2 active just as he appears behind you. Any later than that and it'll whiff.

DDutchguy

should rename title to random useful db2 tech u probably didn't know
I suppose we did get a little off-topic. I can pretty much guarantee that db2 run cancels are all unsafe with maybe the exception of Displacer and MoS's F22+4 or something. Off of that you can maybe be safe and lose your +2 off of F22+4 in the process lol.

Run canceling db2 doesn't serve much purpose besides using it mid-combo and being an asshole to Goro.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Just went to the lab for a bit. Db2 catches Takeda's whiffed air teleport, Ermac's air teleport, Goro's stomp, Possessed Kenshi's teleport, Quan's and Smoke's teleport.

Shinnok's tricky portal can also be caught, though you have to have db2 active just as he appears behind you. Any later than that and it'll whiff.
Oh that is very nice! Good finds there.

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
While we are on/off topic about db2. I feel like a lot of people forget that you can hold down 2 and extend the active frames. While it is by no means high level play, you can use a "whiffed" extended db2 to bait a player into going in or throwing a projectile. When they rush you, you can run cancel and meet them with f12b2 or something else quick to punish them.

On a more competitive and off topic note, exdb2 is probably Raiden's best wake up. 0 on block baby.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
While we are on/off topic about db2. I feel like a lot of people forget that you can hold down 2 and extend the active frames. While it is by no means high level play, you can use a "whiffed" extended db2 to bait a player into going in or throwing a projectile. When they rush you, you can run cancel and meet them with f12b2 or something else quick to punish them.

On a more competitive and off topic note, exdb2 is probably Raiden's best wake up. 0 on block baby.
No man. It is a High. Against Raiden people D3 or D4 on wake up. And you just wasted a bar. It can even be easily armor broken too. I use to think the same, but people learn quick. It is not that great idea!

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
No man. It is a High. Against Raiden people D3 or D4 on wake up. And you just wasted a bar. It can even be easily armor broken too. I use to think the same, but people learn quick. It is not that great idea!
Then what is the better armored wake up option?
exdf2 is a high as well and also punishable. exdb3 is a mid, but the hitbox can be unreliable. Of course they will read you if you wake up with exdb2 every time, but that's why you delay the wake up to mess up their oki or tech roll. I say it is the best because in a situation you really need to wake up with armor it will get the job done and reset the neutral.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Then what is the better armored wake up option?
exdf2 is a high as well and also punishable. exdb3 is a mid, but the hitbox can be unreliable. Of course they will read you if you wake up with exdb2 every time, but that's why you delay the wake up to mess up their oki or tech roll. I say it is the best because in a situation you really need to wake up with armor it will get the job done and reset the neutral.
Block