What's new

Question Damage percentages per move

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Maybe someone who has hacked the game or looked at the code would know the answer to this one. Is there anywhere we can look to figure out the PRECISE amount of damage a particular move will take off a lifebar? I've heard a standard throw takes 25%, but can that be confirmed? What does a standard uppercut, RH, aahp, sweep, etc take off the lifebar? Just curious if anyone ever played around and figured this out.

Ye

It changed how I thought about playing. I try not to block anything. I mean, nothing. I didn't really play like that before I started calculating stuff. I thought like "Oh who cares if I take a jab chip, or a blocked special move, or etc....". But now I do care. I also don't use anything unless I can maximize damage with it. The percentages make the game a lot less fun for me because I was just looking to deal max normal damage. It really starts to be like robotic, and not fun or natural at all. I played matches against Kensi a year ago, and I remember we were babying each other back and forth, but I was using zero special moves, just normals because of the damage. Also I started calculating combinations of moves to see which ones ended the game the quickest. You know how like in chess you try to win the game in the least amount of moves. I think 3 moves is the lowest it goes, but obviously no one would ever be able to do that against a human opponent. I think 8 moves is about the closest thing I got to moves you could play in a real game.
I'm just saying you can really reduce it down to a flowchart. Like, I want to use one of these moves, this move, two of these, etc....

But you're right, the chip stuff isn't that important, but it was just fun to know.
ZAQ is right. Knowing the percentages wouldn't change a thing because we already know from common sense what the best option is. If you've changed your style to block less, then you are probably eating alot of unnecessary sweeps or similar things. I understand what you are saying. People that don't block in certain situations will sometimes frustrate me, but in the end I get free wins because of it.

You misunderstand. why would I not block a sweep? My point is to not be in a position where I can be swept. If I'm in the position to be swept then I will block, but then I will also know how much a blocked sweep is, and how many I can take before my flowchart is outside of where I want it to be. Incidentally, I cracked Kitana and instant air fans. I figured out a stupid way to drain the clock and win on time.
You said you changed your strategy to not block anything. I took that as you were doing random stuff to get out of pressure instead of just blocking. I would like to see this so called answer to Kitana. She is one of the best rushdown characters in the game. How could you possibly drain the clock on a character like her? Her instant air fans allow her to get in, so I don't think draining the clock is an option.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
You said you changed your strategy to not block anything. I took that as you were doing random stuff to get out of pressure instead of just blocking. I would like to see this so called answer to Kitana. She is one of the best rushdown characters in the game. How could you possibly drain the clock on a character like her? Her instant air fans allow her to get in, so I don't think draining the clock is an option.
Pick Scorp or Raiden and teleport away all day.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Easier said than done, but I see your point. That's a counter to Kitana in general. The instant air fans do help with these matchups though.
It would be easier with Scorpion than Raiden I think, just because a buffered fan lift in the opposite direction will always catch Raiden whereas Scorpion has some leeway in his teleport.

While your right gamemk, in this game character position is paramount and I see your argument that if your in the right spots you can minimize blocking... Which I doubt anyone can argue. But like mikecaldwell was getting at it seems highly risky especially due to the fact that the hit boxes can be so wonky at times and with all the moving forward and backing up youd have to do to make that work it seems to me that after a while you would inevitably get hit or have to block.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Pick Scorp or Raiden and teleport away all day.
doesn't work against the best Kitanas, we will find a way to get to you. JoeBlak as I mentioned before, has the biggest turtle Scorpion around. everytime you get close, he teleports. still I always manage to get to him, trap him in a corner, etc. also, Scorpion has to use the teleport very cautiously vs Kitana, or he eats a 50% combo when she blocks and fan raise combos him. if Raiden gets teleport-happy, Kitana uppercuts or fan raises him in anticipation.

gamemk must have played Culongy, who basically just throws instant fans for the entire match. but certainly would be interested to see how he would "crack" a Kitana like Mike or I's.

as far as damage %, in 1994 I bought this MK2 GamePro guide from Shopko. it was a thing of beauty. it had every move and combo's damage % listed. the pics in the guide were clear, it was the best thing ever. unfortunately I got rid of it coz I was afraid my parents would find it and see all the fatalities :confused: I seriously have been searching eBay for 13 years looking for that guide, but never found it. anyone know what I'm talking about? cover was white... wasn't too thick.

ded

Elder God
Hey guys, I think Shock has the full damage list of each basic and special move in MK2 for Arcade. I have one list as well, but i believe its old and outdated.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
MKII Damage

#p= damage in pixels/161 total pixels of life at 1:1 aspect ratio.
(Some characters have varying damage for basics)

Side note, just about all the damage read outs in MKII SKoM -
presented in the UMK3 style are represented using the basic formula of total pixels of damage/161. There might be a few that are off a couple percent.
freakin' awesome! that video had to take forever to make.
had no idea that throws (and roundhouses) didn't do the same damage for each character. I feel like a noob now!
thank you for the info, very cool.

for the record it's sad you guys in the combo video don't play much anymore, if at all. with skills like those you could be bringing some awesome competition to the MK2 scene.

I have always found it funny that an uppercut causes more damage than everything pretty much... including a round house kick. I know the game isn't real life, but... I guess the reasoning for higher % was that uppercuts wouldn't be landed as often. Makes sense.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
No problem guys, I have most of the stuff for UMK3 as well, if not everything, and I don't remember if I ever did MK1. The uppercut > than all normals thing has always been interesting, I think it simply started as the best anti pressure, even now in MK9 with everything doing half the damage of 2D, it's one of the highest damaging single moves, around 10 or 11%

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Given the data Shock has provided, some interesting things to note:

• Baraka has the best and most consistent normals in the game. His RH and standard throw have the highest damage percentages.
  • Raiden has by far the weakest throw.
  • Liu Kang has the highest damage move not requiring extra button presses (bicycle kick).

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think I would have liked it if they made damage for normals even more varied as the games went on, but they actually became more and more uniform.