What's new

Tech - Shaolin d4 xx ex straight arrow

Trustypatches

PSN: Boweeen, Twitch: rBoweeen
Again, sorry if this was already known, but here it is anyway. d4 xx ex straight arrow is actually a thing... Against a lot of characters anyway. Reasons it won't work vs other characters: low blocking and crouching hitboxes make arrows whiff, low profile pokes make arrows whiff and 6 frame moves with good range can beat it out if executed well enough (not from further range in most cases) . For example, Jax's stand 1 will trade at the closest range. I have tested many backdashes of different kinds and they all failed as well, getting caught by at least one of the two arrows. Anyway, why this is useful (I genuinely think it is, as gimmicky as it sounds) is because other than pokes, his fastest non highs are 13 frames. This makes him get a 9 frame low which will guarantee either +7 or +11 depending on whether they block the arrows or not. For a bar, I think this is worth it. This can be guaranteed on Lao and Jax as far as I know, which are the two MU's I looked into this for. Oh and you can also convert (not too easily) in the corner if they do any jump out for 31% into hdk. I can't believe I made a thread about d4 xx ex straight arrow NotLikeThis. Anyway, let me know if you guys think this is useful or not.

Trustypatches

Who makes a long post and 3 videos about d4 xx ex straight arrows smh

want to emphasize how this basically lets you use a 9 frame low profiling move with good range to guarantee +7 (+11 if the arrows hit) for the cost of a bar in certain MUs. Often better than counter poking with d1 or his 13 frame mid or low.

Last edited:

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
yeah, this is underutilized.
KJ's down 4 has huge range, and this is immediately plus 7
If close enough, ex uprward arrow is +14 and jails into B1.
Can only potentially be done from point balnk in the corner, though.

Trustypatches

yeah, this is underutilized.
KJ's down 4 has huge range, and this is immediately plus 7
If close enough, ex uprward arrow is +14 and jails into B1.
Can only potentially be done from point balnk in the corner, though.
Yeah, it's a real shame that the mid arrow in ex up arrow whiffs on low block. As good as +7 is on normal ex straight arrow is, absolutely nothing can be jailed with it.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I don't suggest doing this against females or chars that poke back with a low profile move.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Yeah, it's a real shame that the mid arrow in ex up arrow whiffs on low block. As good as +7 is on normal ex straight arrow is, absolutely nothing can be jailed with it.
throw is the best idea, because they throws catch low pokes on startup for some reason.
EX overhead flip kick might as well be guaranteed, it has armor, breaks armor, and hops over lows, and anti airs

Trustypatches

I don't suggest doing this against females or chars that poke back with a low profile move.
Yeah it is near useless against a lot of the cast but at least it works against Jax and Lao which are two of his harder MU's imo. Cassie for example will have both arrows completely whiff when she is crouch blocking NotLikeThis

Trustypatches

First shitpost of 2016?

Also, does this work vs Goro? that would be some hot shit.
I actually don't have Goro to confirm, but he could armor the gap with punchwalk and punish it as he'd take the two arrows. I don't think it would be fast enough to break on his wakeup though.

Last edited:

Trustypatches

I used it a lot in a set today. It's good. I need to get better at taking advantage of the plus frames though.
Try instant jump 1. It leaves them at perfect range for it, and effectively becomes a 2 frame move after +7. I tried mashing d2's after the arrows and they wouldn't come out before the j1. If they backdash or make the j1 whiff for any reason, you can cancel into divekick for a punish, or ex divekick to make it safe. Makes a lot of armored reversals whiff and is even better in the corner.

FMHeart

No More Laos
thats pretty interesting, thanks for pointing it out!
is so unfortunate that the ex up arrows can be crouched, I was so excited when I discovered the plus frames into b1 -.-

anyway.. hi everyone, thats my first post
I was searching for the presentation threads but I guess there aren't :)

Trustypatches

thats pretty interesting, thanks for pointing it out!
is so unfortunate that the ex up arrows can be crouched, I was so excited when I discovered the plus frames into b1 -.-
If only... 3 bars would allow 20+% guaranteed chip with b123 xx up arrows if ex up arrows were actually mids lol.