What's new

Cyrax playstyle = Random

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
as i'm sure some of you saw, the other night tom brady mentioned he felt that cyrax's playstyle is 'random' and that he feels you are always fighting the character and not the player, comparing Cyrax to Dark Phoenix from MvC3.

i am NOT critisizing tom brady here, i have the upmost respect for him as an MK player, he has the best technical knowledge of the game, a great sub zero, and i eagerly await his tutorial DVD he has done with crosscountertv.

personally i just find it a bit of an unfair way to treat us cyrax players, i am all for the reset being taken out, to the point where i refuse to use any form of reset as i feel it's too cheap, but the people i play regularly know how to beat my cyrax setups, and will then go on to beat other cyrax players who might do similar tricks but theyre all beaten the same way.

i THINK he was mainly referring to how easy it is to throw numerous bombs and nets from fullscreen, seemingly without conciquence, but to beat the bombs all you have to do is walk out of its range, frequently a cyrax player will do a bomb immediately followed by a net, people get caught in this as i see alot of players jumping to avoid the bombs, even if they know the net is coming.

to beat this seemingly cheap and spammy play all you have to do is be patient, and jumping is a bad idea, all the best TYM!

peace out, Jake.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
as i'm sure some of you saw, the other night tom brady mentioned he felt that cyrax's playstyle is 'random' and that he feels you are always fighting the character and not the player, comparing Cyrax to Dark Phoenix from MvC3.

i am NOT critisizing tom brady here, i have the upmost respect for him as an MK player, he has the best technical knowledge of the game, a great sub zero, and i eagerly await his tutorial DVD he has done with crosscountertv.

personally i just find it a bit of an unfair way to treat us cyrax players, i am all for the reset being taken out, to the point where i refuse to use any form of reset as i feel it's too cheap, but the people i play regularly know how to beat my cyrax setups, and will then go on to beat other cyrax players who might do similar tricks but theyre all beaten the same way.

i THINK he was mainly referring to how easy it is to throw numerous bombs and nets from fullscreen, seemingly without conciquence, but to beat the bombs all you have to do is walk out of its range, frequently a cyrax player will do a bomb immediately followed by a net, people get caught in this as i see alot of players jumping to avoid the bombs, even if they know the net is coming.

to beat this seemingly cheap and spammy play all you have to do is be patient, and jumping is a bad idea, all the best TYM!

peace out, Jake.
I agree, I hope the bomb traps are removed but people just need to spend a little time understanding the match up. What is even more frustrating is the group of supposedly dedicated Cyrax players that say they will quit this game if more bomb traps are removed. It seems to me like that is something you wouldn't do because you are actually able to make adjustments if necessary.

Most people just don't understand whats going on when they play. I'll see top players dash block their way in on cyrax, kitana, kabal, etc only to jump at them once they are in because of some imaginary idea that they are no longer safe on the ground once they've made it through the plat former.

Wish you and your bro could have made it to evo, you definitely would have been those random guys that showed up and potentially took it. You are by far the best Cyrax I've seen so far.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
I agree, I hope the bomb traps are removed but people just need to spend a little time understanding the match up. What is even more frustrating is the group of supposedly dedicated Cyrax players that say they will quit this game if more bomb traps are removed. It seems to me like that is something you wouldn't do because you are actually able to make adjustments if necessary.

Most people just don't understand whats going on when they play. I'll see top players dash block their way in on cyrax, kitana, kabal, etc only to jump at them once they are in because of some imaginary idea that they are no longer safe on the ground once they've made it through the plat former.

Wish you and your bro could have made it to evo, you definitely would have been those random guys that showed up and potentially took it. You are by far the best Cyrax I've seen so far.
thanks man i appreciate your kind words :), i will admit that the cyrax matchup takes time to learn, but once you are aware of the threats he posesses its alot less daunting coming up against him, granted i die a little inside whenever i see a good player fall prey to a stray net and lose 70% of their life, but thats not gonna be an issue forever, i can suggest saving meter as lifeblood against cyrax, you'll need a breaker to cover your back, just in case, dont take any risks, dont jump unless its to cross him over, and lay into him like a bitch on wakeup, im dissapointed me and my bro can't make evo, but we simply cant afford it haha, well be at Super VS Battle in august, which is the biggest mk tourney in the UK so far, looking forward to it :)

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Brady was right, except about you because you play cyrax, not the other way round.
Same thing goes with KL players

Albo

Noob
Forgot to say foxy should be at Evo to. I need to talk with you about some things foxy, do you have aim or msn?
it'd be a waste of talent if he didn't go. i'm not sure how much the prize money will be at evo but i'm sure he can afford travel and accommodation since he'll probably end up winning evo and making his money back. besides since ketchup and mustard won't be there, he has an even higher chance of doing well and and building his reputation.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Hey mustard I think we played before??? I'm cat-713 I mainly use subzero. I think you were in a koth when I first played you and I was clutching some wins. Then another day in a koth room with my brother pro-spic and that time you beat numerous times I got frustrated lol. I tried jumping nets to punish you but I think the online would mess up my timing and I would get caught. Anyways. Shoot me a friend request at cat-713. I need more cyrax experience for evo.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Hey mustard I think we played before??? I'm cat-713 I mainly use subzero. I think you were in a koth when I first played you and I was clutching some wins. Then another day in a koth room with my brother pro-spic and that time you beat numerous times I got frustrated lol. I tried jumping nets to punish you but I think the online would mess up my timing and I would get caught. Anyways. Shoot me a friend request at cat-713. I need more cyrax experience for evo.
yeah sure ill sens you a request, can't say i remember your name though sorry, must have been a while back haha

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
If you come on XBL later we can make a party or something Sao. The only way you'd see us at evo is if we got sponsors unfortunately :(

All the US players should be sure to watch SVB if its being streamed on august 12-15th :D

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Good post Jake, I am half and half with what you think and what tombrady thinks.

There is absolutely no doubt that Cyrax has to catch you randomly once to get huge damage, I don't mind cyrax's random hit factor, that's him, that's his style, but 50+ from a net is just not on, if you start a JIP into net, then fine, because you had to work for it, not just throw nets from your safe distance.

And your right about zoning cyrax, stay grounded to avoid bombs, and don't jump in on him. I do agree that you fight the Kung Lao character and not the player, reptile falls under category too, and if you don't think so, then ask that same question about sektor, jax, lui kang and quan chi...

I have been a cyrax player since umk3, and he's my best character in mk9, and have been using him since day one, but I have completely steered away from him because of the bullshit that comes along with him. He's such a strong character that's it's not even right. Why does he even have that fucking command grab while Baraka is dying in 2nd last place?

Easily top four along with Kung, Cage, Raiden.