What's new

Cyrax: Firing Blanks In Tag Kombat.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Now, having just begun spending time with Tag Kombat, there could be an explanation to this, but even if there is, if you plan on venturing into 2 on 2 territory with Cyrax, be wary who you pair him with.
And yes, this being a Tag issue, it won't be as highly regarded as a single-kombatant scenario, but I still think it's worth mention if it hasn't been brought up yet, as it's gonna seriously screw with the hypothetical metagame of whichever team you want to make with him. Personally, this really irked the crap outta me. Finally get genuinely interested in picking up Tag with Cyrax & Quan, I go into the lab, and no sooner than 3 minutes in do I discover something disheartening as fuck. I made a video, but it refuses to load, so I'll do a write-up for now until I can get it fixed.

Long story short, if Cyrax is tagged in immediately after a Special Move that stuns or incapacitates the opponent for a few moments, and tries to launch any sort of pressure involving EX Bomb + Close/Mid/Far Bomb juggles, the bombs WILL NOT COME OUT.

So either A. This is a result of certain types of Specials not being able to be immediately executed after another, in which case certain strategies of a good deal of Cyrax V XXX team strategies become completely invalid...or B. It's a glitch. Again, I'm still pretty unfamiliar with the underlying bits and pieces of Tag Mode, but this seems like it should have Shenanigans called on it.

There are a few really situational Specials from certain characters that could be followed up with Nets & EX Bombs that produced the same result, but none of them seemed all that practical. Kung Lao's regular Spin and Rain's EX Lightning both caused blanks, along with a couple of others, but again, none of these really struck me as seriously problematic, so I left them out. But I've tested everything I found on a multitude of stages, against a multitude of different sized characters, from different angles, and with all 3 versions of Cyrax: MK9, MK3 & Cyblax.
And what I've found is that there are 8 characters out of the cast with bill-fitting Specials and situations practical/common enough that this would seriously effect: 6 with whom it doesn't work, 1 with whom it's more or less random, and 1 with whom it works perfectly.
Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Sindel, Quan Chi, Cyber Sub-Zero, Kabal, Freddy Krueger, and Kitana.

-Scorpion's Spears. No dice. No matter what string you pull them in with, he shoots empties.
-Sub-Zero's Freezes. No dice. Same if they get caught in a Clone.
-Sindel's Screams. Nada.
-Quan Chi's Trances. Still salty.
-Cyber Sub-Zero's Freezes. In my infinite wisdom, I forgot to test the Parry, but methinks it won't work either.
-Kabal's Nomad Dashes. Nothing doing. No Cyber Crispy Initiative for me.

Now, there's one person with whom this has been completely hit or miss, and that's Freddy Krueger.
With his EX Claw stun, and both versions of the Dream Goo...sometimes you get Bombs, sometimes you don't.
Everyone else, it's 100% of the time, but with Kruger, you can tag in and every now and again Cyrax will shoot as though nothing's wrong.
Why Freddy of all people turned out to be the only exception to the rule, I have no idea.

And guess who's the ONLY person in the game who can consistently and practically link her own frenetic strings to Cyrax's EX Bomb pressure setups?

Kitana.

You end a string with Kitty in a Fan Lift (preferably the regular one, but EX works too), tag in Cy and fire an EX + Close/Mid/Far, and you get your full combo and setup of choice as you would regularly. Out of everything I could think to test so far, hers is the only way I've found that can keep Cy's Ground Bomb game in rotation.

As soon as my other laptop's fixed, I'll be uploading the footage.

Don't get me wrong: I know it's ridiculous to assume this is going to keep Cyrax from being extra-special broken in Tag Mode, that's not my issue. I know he's booty, I know that as it stands, Tag in and of itself is widely regarded as booty.
THAT BEING SAID, it really sucks when one decides to give it a chance, only to find out that for whatever the reason may be, an entire factor of their character's regular offensive potential is going to be taken out of the equation if he wants to take his team in a particular direction. That, and I've always wanted to find something useful. This seems like it.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Another one I was really hoping would work that didn't: Jade's Overhead Smash.
In the event you're quick enough to catch them...no Bombs.
Testing as I go: Smoke's Bombs = no Bombs.

JAX is a successful match. Nets & Ex's after both GP's = BOMBS!
Same with Shang's EX Skulls, depending on the setup, but that's a lot of Meter for one string.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
So Cyrax got a vasectomy in tag?! I wish they made a temporary pill for that.

in;b4 100,000,000,000 likes because everyone else hates their junk smelling like latex too!

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Reptile is a no-go as well. FS SFB + Net + EX Bomb = nothing afterwards.
Same for Ermac's TKS in the corner. Gonna test out at least one practical scenario with everyone.

This is frustrating.

Noob Saibot = Bombs. Thankfully. Corner setups galore. Granted, that means you have to GET them to the corner, but still. Good news is good.

NariTuba

disMember
Well Id assume its because bombs are denied as soon the opp. gets hit with any special that immobilizes them. Just like it happens with the net.