What's new

Question - Cutthroat Cutthroat Kano Skillcapped?

I've been playing Cutthroat Kano and have been having tons of fun with him. I love the aesthetic of his combos, massive damage potential, etc. But I feel like against skilled players, he might be overly simple compared to the other variations/ other characters, with his gameplay being linear. I'm not sure if there is more tech to be found in this variation or if he just unfortunately has a low skill ceiling. What do you guys think?

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
I've been playing Cutthroat Kano and have been having tons of fun with him. I love the aesthetic of his combos, massive damage potential, etc. But I feel like against skilled players, he might be overly simple compared to the other variations/ other characters, with his gameplay being linear. I'm not sure if there is more tech to be found in this variation or if he just unfortunately has a low skill ceiling. What do you guys think?
I hear what you are saying, but I don't think we have explored his tech enough. I think there have got to be better ways to use his power up, better set ups for his overhead, and better applications of db1 besides metering it for combos. I don't think he has gotten enough attention.

But I can see the potential - the fact that one corner combo can do almost 70% means if you condition your opponent correctly you can end a round in1-2 combos

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Its probably under rated. it doesn't help he has 50/50s but more of the cast has better versions of 50/50s. Why use kano for oh lows when Cassie does it better? Stuff like that. But I still think it's good just "harder" to use.

I hear what you are saying, but I don't think we have explored his tech enough. I think there have got to be better ways to use his power up, better set ups for his overhead, and better applications of db1 besides metering it for combos. I don't think he has gotten enough attention.

But I can see the potential - the fact that one corner combo can do almost 70% means if you condition your opponent correctly you can end a round in1-2 combos
Yeah, the huge combos that are way more reliably set up than other similair characters is a big plus. But after playing a bunch of long sets against good players, it's not often that I was able to get something like that going.

Wondering if the trade off of lack of more reliable tools for big combo damage is enough to keep this variation viable, or if there is still unexplored tech that will be huge for this variation

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
It doesn't help that his MB DB1 doesn't have armor, or that his power up goes away after getting hit.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Being succesful with simple characters boils down to having better fundamentals than your opponent. The tools Kano has are legit, they don't become null and void no matter how good your opponent is. Kano has options for practically every situation and those options are good. He doesn't need any more tools. Yes, some characters have better tools for certain situations, but Kano is better at something else than other characters.

In my opinion Cutthroat Kano is the premium "jack of all trades, master of none"-character in this game. Characters you can not outzone, you can beat up close. Characters with better rushdown you can outzone and beat in footsies. If you feel like you are at a severe disadvantage and can not beat your opponent then you need to switch to Cybernetic or Commando.

Mindlessly chucking knives in Cybernetic or trying to force a 50/50 in Cutthroat or just running in for throws in Commando simply isn't the way to go. Kano is a footsie character and a damn good at that. He excels at keeping opponents honest, while having the ability to go in on a short burst of offence when the situation presents itself. The optimum range to play in, as well as the general gameplan depends on your opponents character, but I would say the default range for Cutthroat is just outside jump distance. Force your opponent to stay on the ground and punish them if they jump. Trying to play Cutthroat like a pure rushdown character is not optimal, your approach to playing him has to be varied to catch your opponent by surprise and bait them into doing something you want them to do.

catscratch

Fun Sucks
What Smoke said.

If anything, Kano is the exact opposite of simple. His tools are basic, but you need a solid understanding of fundamentals to play him. That makes him one of the harder characters in this game to consistently win with. Getting your execution up and learning Erron Black's setplay is just a matter of time spent in training, but winning with Kano requires solid footsies and that only comes through years of playing fighting games. In fact, that's exactly why I'm maining Kano - not because I'm amazing at fundamentals but because I want to improve them, and I'm not going to do that by mindlessly abusing the same broken string over and over with some of the top characters. Cutthroat Kano is a fairly honest character in what is a pretty dishonest game, and you will have to outplay your opponent to win some matchups. That's the nature of the character, and that's what makes him difficult, but so far he seems like he has the tools to do that in every matchup.

His overhead isn't strong outside of the corner, but his combos have very good corner carry, and just having the threat of an overhead is enough for your opponent to want to backdash your midscreen setups, which you can read and punish. It's useful, and let us not forget that both b121 and b31 are 0 on block (I think... I'm on PC and don't have the latest frame data?).

Being succesful with simple characters boils down to having better fundamentals than your opponent. The tools Kano has are legit, they don't become null and void no matter how good your opponent is. Kano has options for practically every situation and those options are good. He doesn't need any more tools. Yes, some characters have better tools for certain situations, but Kano is better at something else than other characters.

In my opinion Cutthroat Kano is the premium "jack of all trades, master of none"-character in this game. Characters you can not outzone, you can beat up close. Characters with better rushdown you can outzone and beat in footsies. If you feel like you are at a severe disadvantage and can not beat your opponent then you need to switch to Cybernetic or Commando.

Mindlessly chucking knives in Cybernetic or trying to force a 50/50 in Cutthroat or just running in for throws in Commando simply isn't the way to go. Kano is a footsie character and a damn good at that. He excels at keeping opponents honest, while having the ability to go in on a short burst of offence when the situation presents itself. The optimum range to play in, as well as the general gameplan depends on your opponents character, but I would say the default range for Cutthroat is just outside jump distance. Force your opponent to stay on the ground and punish them if they jump. Trying to play Cutthroat like a pure rushdown character is not optimal, your approach to playing him has to be varied to catch your opponent by surprise and bait them into doing something you want them to do.
thank you. this and so much this.