What's new

Customs

Jbog

Noob
Have customs brought more fun to this game? Or is it just the same custom moves used with most characters. Your thoughts?

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
It really depends on which characters you're looking at. Some characters are able to mix and match for notably different gameplay styles and options for certain matchups (such as Baraka, Nightwolf, Scorpion, Sub, Noob, Lao, Kabal, and Shang). Others are pigonholed into utilizing their 3-4 useful variation specials as the rest are complete trash or way too niche to be worth the pick over their efficient options (such as Jade, Kotal, D'Vorah, Skarlet, Shao, and Jax).

Overall I think it's been a success. However, there had best be a follow-up balance patch that brings the shit variation moves in line so more characters get actual options.

Scorpion got shafted. Demon dash and demon breath looked really promising but then those were nerfed into non-existence, so now he’s one of the characters that doesn’t get to enjoy kustoms at all

Malec

Noob
Scorpion got shafted. Demon dash and demon breath looked really promising but then those were nerfed into non-existence, so now he’s one of the characters that doesn’t get to enjoy kustoms at all
Whats wrong with demon dash? 7frames was broken as f. 12f is still good, you can punish stuff a lot of Characters cant

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I can only speak for myself, but I’ve really enjoyed customs. It’s been fun playing around and experimenting with custom builds and it’s made me more likely to look into picking up other characters as well, knowing I can mess with their custom moves.

Whats wrong with demon dash? 7frames was broken as f. 12f is still good, you can punish stuff a lot of Characters cant
Check out the Scorpion customs thread if you want the full detailed list of move comparisons. TLDR is that it’s very possibly the worst charge attack in the game with reactable travel speed, 100% guaranteed death on block and no redeeming properties like a useful KB

My characters got far more exciting thanks to customs, and they were already pretty baller. So yeah this has been going well so far.
That said, I really hope characters who got nothing get the attention they need.

Malec

Noob
My characters got far more exciting thanks to customs, and they were already pretty baller. So yeah this has been going well so far.
That said, I really hope characters who got nothing get the attention they need.
Agreed. Imo a lot of Characters suffer from 2 point custom moves to be able to combo. For example Nightwolf, Sindel, Baraka... Are they still good? Yeah, but its pretty lame that you have to put 2 points just to combo like everyone else who are able to combo with their base kit.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Definitely added more fun to the game overall. In fact customs are probably the biggest reason I came back to the game. I liked variations from the little bit I played of MKX but I hated the tournament variations in this game.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
It added more fun and interest to the game at the cost of balance. I know that’s ironic, considering I, like many others, had been championing for customs for the past year and a half.

I guess I had the idea in my head they after all this time NRS would be able to acknowledge what was OP or not. Instead, we got that bare minimum patch, and characters like Kitana were nerfed while Cetrion got even better.

I just don’t see why NRS literally refuses to adjust things in ways that make any sort of sense. Especially after all this time. I’m still glad customs are in the game, but come on...