What's new

Custom stick components

Tim Static

Adminerator
Make it a ps2 box and use converters for ps3 & 360 compatibility!

other than that, i dont know crap about hitboxes. :(

No one has any advice? :(
As far as I am concerned its not so much button size its the spacing. Also you are going to have to get used to anything new so I wouldn't stress over it. I use 30mm my self and I used http://www.lizardlick.com/Toodles-ChimpSMD_p_584.html
but I had to do all the soldering to a 360 controller I cannibalized for the project... There is a new PCB I will be using for my next stick
http://www.focusattack.com/paewang/
I haven't built it yet so I cant give a positive or negative feedback on how it preforms...

aj1701

Noob
Thanks man. I'm already used to the MK layout as my current stick has that. The button size will be different with Sanwa either way, as the current stick has Happ comp. I think I'll go with 30mm as that will be less of a difference from the current stick. Also, thanks for the link to that PCB, I'll def. check it out. I was hoping to avoid soldering, but it may be worth it to have one board do it all.

Once you get it done post it, Id like to see it... I am ordering parts to build a hit box as well, Just trying to find that matching bigger button for jump. I will put mine up in the stick thread once mine is done.

aj1701

Noob
Make it a ps2 box and use converters for ps3 & 360 compatibility!

other than that, i dont know crap about hitboxes. :(
I think the Toodles PCB supports PS1 - 3 and GameCube. Would a converter work with something like that? It'd be nice not to have to worry about a converter though, but maybe that's my best be for now.

Once you get it done post it, Id like to see it... I am ordering parts to build a hit box as well, Just trying to find that matching bigger button for jump. I will put mine up in the stick thread once mine is done.
For sure. According to their site, all the buttons are 24mm Sanwas, and the jump is 30mm. My main problem has been finding black screwin Sanwas. I'm gonna finish the working on my layout and then get it printed to get a feel for it.. If I like it I'll share it with anyone (I'm working on it in Visio).

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
I think the Toodles PCB supports PS1 - 3 and GameCube. Would a converter work with something like that? It'd be nice not to have to worry about a converter though, but maybe that's my best be for now.

For sure. According to their site, all the buttons are 24mm Sanwas, and the jump is 30mm. My main problem has been finding black screwin Sanwas. I'm gonna finish the working on my layout and then get it printed to get a feel for it.. If I like it I'll share it with anyone (I'm working on it in Visio).
To work on a PS1, GC and PS2, you will need the MC Toodles Cthulhu board. For my box, I use the Sanwa OBSF 24mm. They fit the hand great and getting to other buttons are quicker as your fingers travel a shorter distance. The 30mm button ia great because both thumbs can access it although I use my right thumb for my jumps.

Hope this helps!

aj1701

Noob
I ordered one 30mm and one 24mm Sanwa button, so that I can be sure of the size of the non-jump buttons. Also on the waiting list for Cthulhu MC board. I was really tempted to go with [MENTION=8702]KissMyStick[/MENTION] 's recommendation, but as this is my first go a building a stick I'd like to do the no solder approach. Besides, not like I couldn't replace it in the future. I printed my first go at the layout as well; the MK cross seems pretty accurate, but the directional buttons were off, so I moved them. Have to wait until I'm at work to print though, my printer can't do 11x17 paper (the board itself will be 10x16, at least for now).

aj1701

Noob
Got the buttons, I'm thinking I'll end up with 30mm for all the buttons, 24mm seems too small. But I'm gonna have my friend do a test board and see what the 24 is like first.

Also order the MC Chuthulu from godlikecontrols. I've got a question on the ground connections. There's four on the board, and if I have all the buttons the PS3 can use there's 14 ground connections. So how is this done? Just shove more than one wire and screw them in, or is there a way to daisy chain them together? I'm gonna do the quick crimp connects, can I just chain the grounds all together by fitting two wires into one crimp?

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Got the buttons, I'm thinking I'll end up with 30mm for all the buttons, 24mm seems too small. But I'm gonna have my friend do a test board and see what the 24 is like first.

Also order the MC Chuthulu from godlikecontrols. I've got a question on the ground connections. There's four on the board, and if I have all the buttons the PS3 can use there's 14 ground connections. So how is this done? Just shove more than one wire and screw them in, or is there a way to daisy chain them together? I'm gonna do the quick crimp connects, can I just chain the grounds all together by fitting two wires into one crimp?
Unless you have quite big hands, you're really better off with 24mm.

As far as the ground connections go, I did it like this:

Chained all directional (down, jump, left and right) together and then wired the end of it to one ground. I did the same with the home, select and start buttons and also with all the other buttons (punches, kicks, etc).

You can just wire them all together and connect the end to one ground. I just organized them in three big sets so it's easier for me re-do if anything is done wrongly.

Only thing you gotta check is
1) Have your PCB manual straight. I did it the other way around and was getting some weird USB error when connecting to the ps3. (in case you lost the paper or forgot the link http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/PS3CthulhuWelcome.pdf) You can tell when seeing the pic in the end of this post.
2) Make sure that you use one of the two metal prongs on your buttons to wire the ground connections, and the other one directly to the PCB. That's it. You can't really mess anything.

I hope you can see what I mean :

aj1701

Noob
Thanks, thats really helpful. So you did daisy chain the grounds. I was thinking grouping them might be good after I posted, and you confirmed that. You didn't use quick connects though?

Ya I'm gonna see how I 24mm like the prototype layout and decide from there, but I think I do have a big higher hands, I'm on the taller side. The entire width of the 24 is the same width of just the plunger on my current stick (happ competition button s). We'll see though.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Thanks, thats really helpful. So you did daisy chain the grounds. I was thinking grouping them might be good after I posted, and you confirmed that. You didn't use quick connects though?

Ya I'm gonna see how I 24mm like the prototype layout and decide from there, but I think I do have a big higher hands, I'm on the taller side. The entire width of the 24 is the same width of just the plunger on my current stick (happ competition button s). We'll see though.
Yeah I didn't use quick connects because I don't really need them, this isn't the finished product and it'd mess around since my hb is more like the pdp box, but without the plastic thing that covers it. Maybe it wouldn't fit, I'm not sure.

You see what you do with either 24mm or 30mm and then take pics to show it to us! Good luck :)

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.

Do you happen to know which quick connects fit 24mm Sanwa buttons?
Any of these?
http://www.lizardlick.com/Crimp-Connectors_c_203.html

aj1701

Noob
The 110s or 187s oughta work just fine.
Thanks, I got the 110s coming. I thought they'd be different between the 24 and 30mm buttons, but its not once I put them next to each other.

I've got one 24mm button, one 30mm, and the Cthulhu MC. On the way, 1ft usb cable, 15ft usb cable, a/b usb pass through, 4 24mm buttons, 9 30mm buttons, 20ft of cable (lol, different colors, and I wanted to get extra to be safe). Also a 24mm and 30mm bits so my friend doesn't have to worry about drilling then widening the holes.

Gonna do hopefully just one more test board to make sure the buttons line up, and with all of the play buttons 30mm (the 24s are for the side buttons for home start, etc). Hopefully this will move along quickly once everything arrives.

Once I'm happy with the test board I'll attach the Visio layout I used in case anyone else wants it. Its a stickless stick with MK layout. I'll leave the sizes on the Visio at 24mm for people that might want those.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Thanks, I got the 110s coming. I thought they'd be different between the 24 and 30mm buttons, but its not once I put them next to each other.

I've got one 24mm button, one 30mm, and the Cthulhu MC. On the way, 1ft usb cable, 15ft usb cable, a/b usb pass through, 4 24mm buttons, 9 30mm buttons, 20ft of cable (lol, different colors, and I wanted to get extra to be safe). Also a 24mm and 30mm bits so my friend doesn't have to worry about drilling then widening the holes.

Gonna do hopefully just one more test board to make sure the buttons line up, and with all of the play buttons 30mm (the 24s are for the side buttons for home start, etc). Hopefully this will move along quickly once everything arrives.

Once I'm happy with the test board I'll attach the Visio layout I used in case anyone else wants it. Its a stickless stick with MK layout. I'll leave the sizes on the Visio at 24mm for people that might want those.
Lemme know how it goes. My own HB project has hit a wall, that's what I get for trying to make my first stick out of acrylic ^__^

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

aj1701

Noob
Lemme know how it goes. My own HB project has hit a wall, that's what I get for trying to make my first stick out of acrylic ^__^
Ya that'd be tough to work with. As it is, a friend of mine is going to build the box out of MDF for me. I may have him paint / finish it too (except for applying the artwork), but I'm hoping I can do that much at least, lol. I'm def. doing the wiring, no solder for me!

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Ya that'd be tough to work with. As it is, a friend of mine is going to build the box out of MDF for me. I may have him paint / finish it too (except for applying the artwork), but I'm hoping I can do that much at least, lol. I'm def. doing the wiring, no solder for me!
Hell yeah man, can't wait to see it! btw, you should totally add me on psn. I just made a new account, strictly for MK. gonna try and keep list down to only good TYM/tourney peepz. Anyways, im eventually hoping to make this:
prototype

look like this
]​
very ambitious 3D rendering

Hell yeah man, can't wait to see it! btw, you should totally add me on psn. I just made a new account, strictly for MK. gonna try and keep list down to only good TYM/tourney peepz. Anyways, im eventually hoping to make this:
prototype

look like this
]​
very ambitious 3D rendering
Damn that looks sexy, it's like a batman style hitbox.

aj1701

Noob
Sure, I'll add you. I can't promise to be good, but I try :)

That looks awesome... I'm confused though, the first pic makes it look like you're done (or close). Very nicely done.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Sure, I'll add you. I can't promise to be good, but I try :)

That looks awesome... I'm confused though, the first pic makes it look like you're done (or close). Very nicely done.
Lol, believe me dude, I suck, real bad. Total scrub. :D but no, the first ones layout is a little off, and it has no panel on the side that faces you, plus its a POS raven PCB that i used just to test functionality and if id even like the HB. The final one will be cuthulu based, and HOPEFULLY have a body cut from a block of solid acrylic, not just "wall pieces" if you will. Still haven't found anyone who can do the body.....seem like it might not be possible. :(

aj1701

Noob
[MENTION=4932]beef_supreme[/MENTION], I think you'd have a hard time with a solid acrylic design, you'd basically have to hollow it out, and I'd guess that be difficult without cracking. I think it looks fine with the walled structure you've got going on. I'd just switch out the PCB and finish it up, its nicely done.

What gauge wire are you all using? I just put some new buttons in my stick and they are crazy sensitive. Brushing my fingers across them will trigger them. I'm wondering if some more resistance would help the situation.

aj1701

Noob
[MENTION=6001]RomeoBravoDelta[/MENTION], I believe its 22 gauge wire. I got the wiring from LizardLick. Don't know how much the gauge factors into sensitivity, I haven't put it together yet. Just got this in the mail today actually.