What's new

Tech - Cyber Sub-Zero CSZ Vortex

BornThroughAshes

Devil Apes
Hey guys.

While messing around with CSZ, I've noticed that he has great vortex potential using the drone buffs and a meter burned b12+4.

Here are two videos to demonstrate this:

Midscreen:

Corner:

S3 is +29 on hit, giving us a guaranteed mixup/follow up.

From what I've found so far, he can go up to 30% midscreen to a vortex which is not bad at all. Im sure in time we can find more damaging/optimized setups for this though.

This is definitely not a go to option since you sacrifice insane corner carry/hard to blockable setups for this, but I believe it's a viable way to utilize the drone buffs a bit further. :)

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Idk, this seems a bit wasteful. Drones and a bar, when you could set up a meterless corner HKD~ DE bomb, or even go for the ambiguous f2 midscreen set ups? The concept is strong in that the opponent doesn't have an armor option, but maybe we should find a more damaging combo leading into this. Even then, I'm not sure I could be convinced to go for an honest 50/50 over a dirty af HTB.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I think the value in this set up is to identify a wake-up that's so detrimental to C. Sub's game plan that we'll spend a bar to avoid it. Goro's punch walk comes to mind.

BornThroughAshes

Devil Apes
I think the value in this set up is to identify a wake-up that's so detrimental to C. Sub's game plan that we'll spend a bar to avoid it. Goro's punch walk comes to mind.
Indeed. I'd say this setup significantly improves csz's comeback factor as the opponent has no option but to block/break.

Note that this setup can also be done after a low starter, as seen below:

Edit: @G4S J360 demonstrated the same low starter setup in his video above, didn't see it at the time of posting. Great stuff :)

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I'm big on meter management. If I've got 3 bars, I'm losing meter from that point forward so I'm using it the next chance I get, either on MB bomb or this I guess. I'll keep this in the back of my head hoping to catch someone trying to get out, not aware that they can't.

We should keep in mind though, Fridges 50/50 after the s3 is easily fuzzy guarded. Using fuzzy, the opponents only real fear is b3d4u3.

BornThroughAshes

Devil Apes
We should keep in mind though, Fridges 50/50 after the s3 is easily fuzzy guarded. Using fuzzy, the opponents only real fear is b3d4u3.
Not necessarily. Yes, b1 is indeed 7 frames slower than b3 and in theory it can be easily fuzzy guarded. The thing about s3 though is that the hit advantage is quite generous (+29), giving you an 11-18 frame window to delay your mixup and mess your opponent's fuzzy.

Unless I'm missing something here, I doubt the opponent can react to the vortex if you're smart with the timings.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
I'm big on meter management. If I've got 3 bars, I'm losing meter from that point forward so I'm using it the next chance I get, either on MB bomb or this I guess. I'll keep this in the back of my head hoping to catch someone trying to get out, not aware that they can't.

thats why in the video i posted i included the combo excluding the s3 to catch someone expecting it off guard.