What's new

Question CQC with cyrax

Wigy

There it is...
So if your up in somebodies face with cyrax what tends to be your go to mixup or tactics?

At the moment i'm mixing up like 21, toe pokes, neutral jump punches, 2 command grab.

I've started doing a lot more deep jump kicks followed by 212 etc and doing like d4 d4 212 but i just feel like my close up game is lacking.

Tl/DR What do you do up close with cyrax.

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
I like using D4 right into 1,2,(1) or command grab (frame advantage). I also throw in D1/D3/D4-chestsaw sometimes. Hard knockdowns allow time to throw bombs out. When I'm close - but not too close - I'll often do F2(cancel)-chestsaw or F2(cancel)-AA-grab. (When he steps back for the first animation part of F2, it often makes your opponent whiff on their footsie game.) If the latter is NOT blocked, you have guaranteed frame advantage and can do 1,2,(1) or 3,3 or command grab (careful with timing) and can continue his mix-up game, following with possibly another D4, etc etc.

Hope that helps you a bit. I tend to abuse Cyrax's D4 a lot and follow it up with varying frame traps or grabs.. or both. You get the idea, I think.

Wigy

There it is...
Thanks i'm starting to get the hang of it. Also using 11 command grab catches people off guard a lot. Then once they wise up to it i'll do 11 net. I mean this is all online shenanigans but it still works. I spam d3 like crazy and throw in some ragdolls for shiggles. If i d4 will i get a guaranteed command grab. Cant be bothered checking frame data.

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
You do not get a guaranteed command grab after D4. I tend to wait a split second -- which catches them off-guard -- then they hold block usually (because they think you will hit them), which allows the command grab to work. Again, not guaranteed, but I find it very effective.

Wigy

There it is...
Also i try to finish resets by getting them into a net at very high gravity. So like off the bomb jump punch B2 21 3+bb3 then i'll teleport (just to build meter) then do f2 Df1 and straight into a command grab. F2 seems to force them to stand up instantly if it hits them in the air with no followup

Is that the best option ?

CYracks

Command Grabber
Basically, when you're up close with Cyrax, you're trying to put the fear of god into them with the best 50/50 in the game: Net or command grab loop. Down4 is +16 on hit so it gives you a free 50/50 because they'll respect the standing 1 you get for free afterwards. 1,1 and 1,2 are both 0 on block. Mix-up over head saw with your pokes and normals to try and get them to bock high--increasing your chance to get a down4. Then, once they start respecting your command grab you can begin netting and killing them with full combos.

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
I hardly ever use 1,1 by the way. I don't often finish combos with a 2nd net either. I prefer doing as much damage as I can, but of course that's situational.

Wigy

There it is...
Would you recommend Jump punching straight into a d4 if u knew that your opponent wasn't going to crouch block or is there better options?

I have problems with kunglao's pressure with crossovers everywhere what would you recommend?

Wigy

There it is...
I hardly ever use 1,1 by the way. I don't often finish combos with a 2nd net either. I prefer doing as much damage as I can, but of course that's situational.
Well that combo is like 30% and if i land the command grab, which i usually do that means its like 42% + 50/50 potential for a lot more.
Against characters who outzone you this seems like the smartest option considering there are close to you and in your control.

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
I sometimes to JIP-D4 if I don't have any meter I can use. I like doing JIP-D4 after command grab also. Gotta vary it up though.

And yes, Cyrax is all about control. When you can't or don't want to use meter for a really big combo, use Cyrax's frame advantage tools to keep them in check.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
In the imaginary match I am playing in my head right now where my opponent is sitting there blocking and assuming low pokes hit id do some things like
121~ ragdoll, d1 ragdoll, d1 saw.
1, 1, 21, 12, 334, 121~ragdoll.
F2, 12, 11, 11, 21, 33~enhanced ragdoll
334, 212, 12, 12, 1, 111.
Jip 21, 33, uppercut.
Jip 334, d3, d4, 212.
Command grab, f2, 334, 4~saw.
D4, 11, 21, 21 33~ ragdoll.
D3~ ragdoll, d1 saw.
212, 121~ saw.

Also dont forget about his up4 mid hitting kick and 22f1. you can use nearly everything he has during pressure and be at least safe. Keep them scared of nets, saws and enhanced ragdolls.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I'm always looking for an opportunity to open up my opponent with a command grab, so I don't use 334 or f2 very often in my pressure. They're good strings on block but on hit you can't confirm them into a net, and I never want my strings to be blocked. That's just my personal preference though.

Recently I've started using max range buzzsaw after a command grab if I only need a little damage because it gives more pushback to make it safer.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
I'm always looking for an opportunity to open up my opponent with a command grab, so I don't use 334 or f2 very often in my pressure. They're good strings on block but on hit you can't confirm them into a net, and I never want my strings to be blocked. That's just my personal preference though.

Recently I've started using max range buzzsaw after a command grab if I only need a little damage because it gives more pushback to make it safer.
So you forego the completely free and at advantage f2 after command grab to do a move that is -10? Unless you are 100 percent sure it will chip them out... I mean almost anything you can do after a command grab is better than a naked saw. it is going to build the least amount of meter, and do the least amount of damage. At least use jip 21 and on block you can link into saw, and om hit you get your net.

Seapeople

This one's for you
So you forego the completely free and at advantage f2 after command grab to do a move that is -10? Unless you are 100 percent sure it will chip them out... I mean almost anything you can do after a command grab is better than a naked saw. it is going to build the least amount of meter, and do the least amount of damage. At least use jip 21 and on block you can link into saw, and om hit you get your net.
You would only use it after you've conditioned the other person to block d4. But you're right, you can already get that much damage with guaranteed chip. It's probably only worth using max range ex buzzsaw in the corner.

And I didn't say f2 is useless or anything...it's just not something I use a lot because it adds a hole into the command grab loop. It can definitely be worth using sometimes since it's just another mixup that your opponent has to be prepared to deal with. But in general the less holes the better.
Like, the pressure options you posted really have a ton of places they can be escaped. I try to be more methodical than random with pressure if that makes sense lol.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
You would only use it after you've conditioned the other person to block d4. But you're right, you can already get that much damage with guaranteed chip. It's probably only worth using max range ex buzzsaw in the corner.

And I didn't say f2 is useless or anything...it's just not something I use a lot because it adds a hole into the command grab loop. It can definitely be worth using sometimes since it's just another mixup that your opponent has to be prepared to deal with. But in general the less holes the better.
Like, the pressure options you posted really have a ton of places they can be escaped. I try to be more methodical than random with pressure if that makes sense lol.
Yeah I get where you are coming from, you make the command grab mix up sort of a 25-25-25-25 instead of 50-50
the ones I posted were just hypothetical and longer than you likely will ever be able to achieve. But like you said you may want to have a methodology to your pressure rather than do random stuff, so memorizing block "combos" like I posted cant hurt. I mean nearly of his stuff is 0 on hit or block so technically there are holes all over the place in his pressure, especially when you end in ragdoll/saw you more or less are giving up your pressure.

One thing I have not seen mentioned in here is using his anti air jump as a cross over which is good at times, and something I might start trying is canceling some stuff into teleport but that will probably get blown up.

Seapeople

This one's for you
One thing I have not seen mentioned in here is using his anti air jump as a cross over which is good at times, and something I might start trying is canceling some stuff into teleport but that will probably get blown up.
Do you mean during blockstrings? I've kinda been trying this sort of thing on combo enders recently

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
Yes, his AA grab is a good tool to use occasionally fir cross-over mix-ups. As I previously mentioned also, if you hit F2(cancel)-AA Grab, you get guaranteed frame advantage.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Do you mean during blockstrings? I've kinda been trying this sort of thing on combo enders recently
yeah during block strings, the cross up is pretty hard to punish, a good set up I like is cross over anti air then back dash, then wiff punish, but that is pretty risky. Another simmilar set up is teleport instead of back dash but that is even more risky.

During a combo I like to use it after something like an anti air d1 if I want to switch sides because it seems more consistent than a ragdoll.