What's new

corner jab trap update(?)

mkholic

Noob
not sure if anyone knows this, but there's a tech in the game that potentially makes corner jab trap even more broken than it already has been
it's pretty much the same thing as the regular corner jab trap except it's performed by repeating HPs instead of LPs, which leaves the crouch blocking opponent unable to let go of block safely and counter
essentially, when the block is released they inevitably get hit by one of the HPs, which makes them stand up (doesn't happen with the LPs) and therefore they end up being caught in the infinite

the first one of these few usage examples i put together in a short video does a better job of explaining probably:

this, of course, is character-specific, so here is a sheet:

P.S.
so far i've only tested the slow version of infinite so in case u happen to try doing the fast one pls confirm if it also works

Last edited:

ded

Elder God
yes, that's been known, however, easily escapable by duck cancel. a good update for the corner trap, which was not shared is that some characters can escape from it with moves that can be done while blocking (lao teleport, sheeva's teleport stomp, sonya's flying punch, etc).

mkholic

Noob
yes, that's been known, however, easily escapable by duck cancel
duck cancel? what's that?
a good update for the corner trap, which was not shared is that some characters can escape from it with moves that can be done while blocking (lao teleport, sheeva's teleport stomp, sonya's flying punch, etc).
yeah i was meaning to post about this also
whether or not the infinite is failproof depends on a number of factors
u see, in the game it's possible to cancel reaction animation for almost any attack u can be hit with
to accomplish that u need to trigger a special move on the very same frame u block and then immediately let go of block (the special won't come out otherwise)
let's say u're playing u.sub and u're about to get hit with standing HK, before u do u can input D,F and then on the frame it usually takes u to press BL to actually block u press LP+BL and then let go off block instantly (as stated above)
if u do this u.sub is gonna block (no animation, although he's still gonna take chip damage) AND do the freeze (way before he could normally) simultaneously
on a side note, this allows for some funny shit e.g.

but more importantly, this helps to break out of the jab trap
in short, u can use moves that work with block held (like sonya's grab, m.ninjas' slide, sheeva's and lao's tps) to mash ur way out
the key thing here is that the concept only applies to FA-side player

Last edited:

ded

Elder God
yes, this has been known as well, although not spread.

it does always applies to FA character for the whiff escape. even if you don't have frame advantage, some characters can escape, no matter already trapped in - it will just juggle them. sure, a lot more characters can do such moves, but that will require nearly perfect timing, not useful for a vs game. same applies for blocked combo interrupts (@Mgo showed some stuff in his umk3 curiosity vids) .

duck cancel is just interrupting stand up animation using down (in the vid example, that would escape the Kano's trap for sure).

mkholic

Noob
yes, this has been known as well, although not spread.
i wonder why wasn't it shared before?
even if you don't have frame advantage, some characters can escape
not if the trap is done right, but yeah, it in return would require to time HPs/LPs perfectly
duck cancel is just interrupting stand up animation using down (in the vid example, that would escape the Kano's trap for sure).
sure it can be escaped as well as in stryker-kabal segment, it just showcases infinite "setups"

ded

Elder God
it is not spread, because we left the strategy guides at some time, as everybody was grabbed by life and we could not spare much time with this. i believe the last update @Shock did was to include quickly the glitch jabs, just so the guides have them mentioned.

There are tons of stuff i wanted to put in mk1 and mk4 strategy guides as well, and we even had plans to make video guides, but this will require so much time, which we dont have anymore.

"not if the trap is done right, but yeah, it in return would require to time HPs/LPs perfectly"

lao/sheeva can always escape, no matter what - it will either juggle and push the opponent away or they will teleport through whiff jabs (not sure about stryker and few other characters). In a hypothetical perfect TAS scenario, it may vary.

mkholic

Noob
In a hypothetical perfect TAS scenario, it may vary.
and it does, that's what i meant when i said
not if the trap is done right, but yeah, it in return would require to time HPs/LPs perfectly
EDIT:
and as for the "not having much spare time anymore" issue
does it have to be a part of some ambitious guide or video project?
i'd appreciate (not only me most likely) if u or whoever's got the knowledge post about things like that once in a while
that is if u really have something to share concerning umk3 still :DOGE

Mgo

Noob
I never tried this on UMK3 but a friend did me many times on MK2.

There are tons of stuff i wanted to put in mk1 and mk4 strategy guides as well, and we even had plans to make video guides, but this will require so much time, which we dont have anymore.
I wonder wich games are you referring to , UMK3 or all the classics MK1 - MK4 and what specifically will have the guides. I know how much time all of this require, more if the guy dont have professional editing skills (like me), but was much better for me when I did cooperative works...

I have future plans like redo some tutorials I did with spanish audio like UMK3 Reptile Infinite Tutorial, Instant Air Fireball/Fan Tutorial and Mortal Kombat 4 Gameplay Guide , fixing/adding some details and
taking advantage to translate these into other languages (english, tough these have subs, portuguese and russian - the languages of most of the people who visits umk3 content) and more important do a complete remake of all the curiosities videos I did unified in a single video correcting many stuff ( even the grammar / spelling :D ) and maybe adding few more, since apart from grammar there are things I want to change and some people suggested adding more complete info), maybe will be a good idea as the videos were a succes...
I also have future plans of make videoanalysis of different pro players matches, (those wich contain a good number of useful and interesting strats) but I dont know if it is legal to use videos from others to make new videos.

Last edited:

ded

Elder God
i am referring to mk1, umk3 and mk4 strategy guides. i was thinking to start with mk1, since it would be easier and faster and i really do not want to lost what has been known.