What's new

"Cop-Out Characters"??

Amazing Muzzy Wallace

Don't.Hit...The Quan...
Some have already heard of this story but, while playing online me and some guy play at least 10 times. I'm usually a lao player but decided that I will play d'vorahs venomous for fun. He use raiden master of storms. I beat him pretty bad that game and he says"you're not a true d'vorah player if you not using swarm queen". And that you're are using venomous because it's a cop out that you can't play it. I laugh and we play the next game, which I pick sonya covert ops. He gotten super salty as sonya do what sonya does with 50/50s. He go on a temper tantrum and starts naming characters that are "cop outs" (this was hilarious and I wish I had recorded it)

Apparently, top tiers that are easy to play and unpopular variation(yet he uses master of storms?!?) are "cop-outs" I for one, don't care about "tier whoring etc" if you switch to somebody's that good,good for you. If you like a variation that no one really uses, good for you. Like a said earlier, I play lao, not because he's one of the best but kung lao is prolly my favorite video game character in the first place. Hell as I kid, I was lao in almost every Halloween for goodness sake lol.

So I wanted to get you guys output in this. Do you feel that it's some "cop-out" characters, and what's you opinion on "tier-whoring"?

Amazing Muzzy Wallace

Don't.Hit...The Quan...
Pretty much. I think he was confuse to be honest. Like he wants me to play lao, but oh no make sure it's tempest. Because you if pick hat trick. You don't know how to play tempest and it's a cop out. But if I do, it's a cop out cause I use a top tier.

I just don't understand...

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Lol. People put far too much stock in character over player in fighting games a lot of the time. I would be more impressed if you mopped me with Hat trick then Tempest since it's seen as weaker, but I would also get mopped by the setups because I've never actually dealt with them in match. Maybe he was just salty because you weren't using your "main" or something?

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
man i have been called out on this for using unbreakable and 7-0ing someone using marksmen.. like i heard more FU's in these matches than the entire first week when i was playing GM... people are really hilarious online.

man i have been called out on this for using unbreakable and 7-0ing someone using marksmen.. like i heard more FU's in these matches than the entire first week when i was playing GM... people are really hilarious online.
Marksman is Erron's best variation, IMHO.

I seldom get mad when I see people uses variations that everyone uses and think they "deserve" to win because they pick that variation. Variation whoring is about as big and sucks more than tier whoring. Like how many people can actually say they won by using the underutilized variation over the "mainstream" variation?

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
The only characters who might actually be 'cop outs' are the ones that CAN win via spamming or lame tatcis imo. We all remember the week 1 inferno scorpion minion spam or the full auto jackie gun spam.

I say emphasize can because most players actually try to play their characters. If you're a full auto jackie or inferno scorpion player who actually plays the character good for you. However if you're a full auto jacket who spams guns full screen all day then I'm talking to you.

There's a few 'cop out' characters like that. It's just the community leveled up so much that it rarely works even online. My 2cents

I can name a few character variations that I know for SURE are cop-out characters:

Bone Shaper Shinnok, Cassie Cage (All), Jacqui Shotgun, Jax (All), Ermac Master of Souls, Kung Jin (Need I say more?), Liu Kang (Dragon's Fist and Flame Fire)