What's new

Consulting the Elder Gods (practice tips for the old)

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I can't be the only person here over 40!

Anyway, I was wondering how other people devoid of "youthful reflexes" practice things like flawless blocks and throw escapes. I mostly only escape throws when I get a good read and hardly ever on-reaction, and my flawless blocks are essentially luck. Are there good strings to attempt flawless blocks on that don't require super-fast reactions?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I can't be the only person here over 40!

Anyway, I was wondering how other people devoid of "youthful reflexes" practice things like flawless blocks and throw escapes. I mostly only escape throws when I get a good read and hardly ever on-reaction, and my flawless blocks are essentially luck. Are there good strings to attempt flawless blocks on that don't require super-fast reactions?
Do it until you've got it.
We just need to practice longer than these kids with good muscle memory.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Yup, like GLoRToR said, we just have to practice longer lol

Liu Kang F43U3 (the U3 can be flawless blocked) is what I started practicing FB with. Just because there were so many LK that only knew that string xD

Honestly, once you get the muscle Memory down it´s really not that hard to flawless block some strings

Reduce the amount of variables first:
  • If you're on WiFi get a cable
  • If you're able to, find a gaming monitor with extremely low input delay in ms
    • Otherwise, look into TV display settings which can slightly reduce input delay. On an LGTV, it is display mode "game" and ensure that you're using HDMI1.
Then practice a lot obviously, but practice specific things, and pay attention to where your eyes are and when. When I was learning to block Cetrion's ex wall when cancelled off of a string I noticed that my eyes focus more on my own character than the opponents character, so they were missing much needed reaction frames. Many animations have something in their first few frames that let you know what attack is coming. If you're looking for the motion in the BEGINNING of the animation specifically, you obviously have much more time to react.

Of course you could have done all of these things already and be way ahead of me but I'm covering the bases here in case you've missed one of these things.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Its starting to affect me to, my reactions times have been gradually decreasing through a pack of years