What's new

Completely new to MK

Figgy

Noob
I just picked up Mortal Kombat today to get ready for Injustice- I wanted to get a feel for the engine. I have no idea what I'm doing so any references would be appreciated. I've never been that good at fighting games, but this game is really a departure from what I've known from capcom fighters- I have no idea how to get people into combos- I can't even block. I'm gonna need a lot of practice. Add ChrisOnDuty on PSN if you can help a brotha out. And please tell me where to start out.

SCK ERR0R MACR0

Apprentice
Welcome--you'll find a ton of useful information by searching through the forums. In terms of combos, MK is much different than Street Fighter in that combos are mostly done using canned strings (these can be found in the move list within game, or, of course, in character specific combo threads here on the forum). These strings in combination with special moves are the building blocks for combos opposed to SF using links and building combos from individual hits.

A very basic example of this would be:

Sub-Zero: Back Punch, Back Punch cancel into Iceball. Once frozen, Back Punch, Front Punch, Back Kick cancel into Slide.

Here Iceball and Slide are specials and can be cancelled from particular strings. Back Punch, Back Punch is a two hit canned combo. Also, the three hits after the opponent is frozen is a canned combo. Cancelling specials from hits is just buffering the command in while the animation is occurring during the canned combo.

Once you get into it, you will find certain characters and combos that use single hits to build combos, but the above is a general starting point for a new player trying to understand the system. I hope that it's helpful.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Welcome I'm pretty new myself.
If you were'nt aware the Injustice Demo is suppose to drop today for PSN and tomorrow on XBL. So you'll get the opportunity to get ready for the game with a version of the actual game.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Fresh meat! Ok, so mk is basically the anti street fighter. Your block button is R2 on pad. Get used to it. As Error Macro said, the game is different in the sense that most strings will come out even if they don't connect with the opponent. The exception to this is special canceling. Lets go back to subzero for example: Triangle,square,triangle(on ps3 pad) will come out regardless of whether or not it hits the opponent. Inputting the freeze ball command (down,forward, x) at the end of that string will only give you freeze ball if the string connects, block or not.

Its overwhelming to explain everything. Let me find the combo notation page for you. Also at this time:
-Can you do special moves for the character(s) you are trying out?
-Can you do the strings for the characters you are using? (the ones in the moves list)

If your answer to both of those is yes, you are well on your way to getting longer, more damaging combos done. If your answer to either one is no, then hit the lab and work on getting the inputs down.

As always, welcome to the site, and hope you enjoy things when Injustice drops.