What's new

Clock Theory: Optimizing Damage and Advantage

ELC

Scrublord McGee
First, my definition for a clock based on Magic: the Gathering
-The number of turns before a reliable, recurring threat kills you.

What does this have to do with a fighter, especially one like MK9? Well, replace "turns" with "combos" and "reliable, recurring threat" with "an opponent competent with combos", and you can apply the definition to any fighter.

Now, on to the meat and potatoes: There seems to be an overwhelming need for players to always go for max damage, regardless of frame advantage, meter, or positioning. While this mentality can be beneficial and even necessary depending on the context, it can also be detrimental.

An example, with my main, Scorpion: he has a 40% BnB off a ji.P that can score a knockdown at full, mid, and close range, a 35% BnB off of a ji.P that opens up opportunities for a reset, and a 36% BnB off of a ji.P that builds a bit more meter and still score a knockdown at full, mid, and close range. Clearly, the 40% BnB would win out in damage, but all three have a three-combo clock. Thus, it would be more beneficial to use the 35% or 36% BnB (depending on the situation).

EDIT: Moving on.

But what about chip damage, or combos that use meter? Hell, what about X-Rays?

Well, there is another term in Magic: the Gathering for that: reach
- A reliable, non-recurring threat that can decrease the number of turns you can survive a clock.

By "reliable, non-recurring threat", assume that I mean chip damage, the extra damage from a combo with meter, and the extra damage from a naked X-Ray or X-Ray combo.

An example, Quan Chi can get 39% from Rune Trap and about 29% damage meterless BnB (according to my limited knowledge of Quan Chi). Thus, Rune Trap provides enough reach to make a four-combo clock into a three-combo clock and possibly a two-combo clock provided additional reach from chip damage (3%).

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Usage is based on experience, in comproved efficiency,in personal taste, in opportunity chance, and in exploiting opening gaps in adversary defense.

Spacing, footsie and poke are as much important as dominating any amount of combos, no matter how much % damage they cause.

Playing MK9 at high level is like playing chess : you do your move and expect a reaction, and you seek for opponent flaws, all the time. The brainy smarter player wins, in the end.
For brainy , you can also include being faster, and overcoming situations in a better way

:D

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Its all down to knowing your frame data.

Eg. When I play vs a Cage player when I'm using Sonya, I know that if the Cage player ever wants to try certain blockstrings she can interrupt so long as there is a 7 frame opening, since Cages fastest standing move is 8 frames.

Simple maths wins MK9.