What's new

Character Weakness.

SkyratiK

The game session is no longer available.
How do I get over this? For some reason I just have a hard time playing against certain characters, even though I know what they're going to try to get me to fall for. For whatever reason playing against certain characters just doesn't work for me. Even on a MU like Cyrax vs Kung Lao for example.. Cyrax has the tools to win, and should win, but whenever I seem to attempt this match up I play more aggressive than I should which leads to me eating wake up spins, or falling for a teleport setup.

It's not just Kung Lao either, It seems to be all of the K's (Kung, Kenshi, Kano) that I have such a hard time with. Does anyone have any tips on how I can try to suppress this aggressive reaction so I can kind of take a step back and assess the situation? I'm really tired of losing to characters as opposed to losing to a player.

SkyratiK

Well you know what your problem is. You can just conciously stop yourself. Maybe you auto-pilot too much.
That's the thing, I do know what my problem is but for some reason it's just a reaction. By the time I notice what I'm doing I've completely blown whatever lead/chance I had.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
That's the thing, I do know what my problem is but for some reason it's just a reaction. By the time I notice what I'm doing I've completely blown whatever lead/chance I had.

Stop auto-pilotting. That's probably your problem. Pick a not-so-braindead character. You can get back on your main once you learned to stop auto-pilotting

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
Stop auto-pilotting. That's probably your problem. Pick a not-so-braindead character. You can get back on your main once you learned to stop auto-pilotting
This is good advice. Choose a character that depends more on fundamentals, you'll notice that you'll play better with your main afterwards.

I used to auto-pilot a lot, just gotta be more aware of the game. You could try listening to music while playing (if you don't already). Also, playing without game sound might make you focus a little more.

Just a suggestion. :)

SkyratiK

I'll try it out again, usually when I listen to music it just distracts me. I'm a musician too, so whenever I play music I find myself spacing out of MK and working out rhythmic patterns instead. I've been trying to dabble around with the other characters though, so hopefully that will help me out. Who do you suggest?

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
Hmm, I'm sure other people can suggest better characters, but I'd just say any character that needs to work for their wins. Scorpion, Sub Zero, Sindel, Reptile, Smoke etc. Those will help in certain areas. Scorpion and Smoke for AA. Sub for spacing. You get the idea.

When you're playing a character like that you have to limit your mistakes. Hopefully they'll help.

Do you play anyone besides Cyrax?

SkyratiK

I actually use a lot of characters, which is probably why I'm not as good as I should be. My two primary characters right now are Cyrax and Kabal, but I'm "decent" with Cage, KL, Quan, Mileena, Scorpion, Rain, Ermac and Liu Kang. I've always tried to make sure that I'm not the guy that picks the same character every time during casual matches.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
I actually use a lot of characters, which is probably why I'm not as good as I should be. My two primary characters right now are Cyrax and Kabal, but I'm "decent" with Cage, KL, Quan, Mileena, Scorpion, Rain, Ermac and Liu Kang. I've always tried to make sure that I'm not the guy that picks the same character every time during casual matches.
My main is Kabal, too. I've drifted from him a lot the past few months and try to use more lower/mid characters. Went hard with Sindel, now getting back into Scorpion. Start using your alts more.