What's new

Character Specific Options For Punishing D1 on block

LEGEND

YES!
This thread will be dedicated to Direct punish options for D1s on block, the average D1 is anywhere from -12 to -15 on block and leaves you in duck state so the basic guidelines i'll be using are:
A) Does said move have less than 11 frames of execution
B) Does it hit a Ducking hitbox
C) Does it have enough range to hit after the pushback off a blocked D1

(Scorpion): 33 string for pressure, doesn't directly punish
(Liu Kang): B312
(Kung Lao): Ex Spin. Maybe Dash in spin also?
(Sub-Zero): D4
(Sindel): for -15 frame D1s B4 and 4 can work, checking With B1 is the best option. B1-stepup
(Ermac): iAB. 3 string
(Reptile): Elbow Dash
(Kitana): 33-Cutter?
(Johnny Cage): F3 string
(Jade): 4F3
(Mileena): Roll
(Nighwolf): F3 string
(Cyrax): 3Net
(Noob): Shadow charge
(Smoke): Free B2 string check
(Sektor): B34, only vs -15 D1s
(Sonya): iADK
(Jax): F4 String
(Kano): Ball. Upball. B1 string
(Stryker): 3 G/C is your best bet whether you directly punish or not
(Shang Tsung): F4 string
(Baraka): Blade Rush
(Kabal): F4 string
(Raiden): Superman
(Sheeva): low grab
(Quan Chi): free B3 check, does B1 hit mid?-12 frames
(CSZ): iADK. 3 string for -15 D1s like Sektor and Kitana
(Skarlet): F4-Overhead Slash for -15 D1s ^
(Kenshi): Spirit Charge
(Rain): 43. 33
(Freddy): EX Ground Spike?

I'm starting off with the options i know of, i am sure there are more out there so if any of you guys see that i missed some please tag me in a reply so i can add it to the OP. Thanks

Hopefully this helps

Altaire

Noob
I don't think "punishing" D1s is the goal so much as just checking it with something that's safe on block. Even if Liu Kang is too late to punish D1 with full combos, he'll still commit her to blocking the B3 1 2, which creates an attack and grab mixup. This is true of any fast, mid-hitting combo starter around 10 to 12 frames, so long as it's safe on block.

Glass Sword

Nobody
LETHAL LEGEND Scorpion's 1 hits special mid so it whiffs if they are not blocking plus it has 12 frames of execution. Against some characters 1 also whiffs namely Kitana. A better counter poke is 3,3, takedown or 3,3,4 which both hit mid and 3 comes out in 10 frames instead of 12. These are both negative on block, but they give Scorpion some space. The problem with 3 again is it sometimes misses since you get no forward movement from it. You can always counter poke with d1 =/...
If I am wrong about Scorpion's counter pokes some one please correct me so I can add it to my game.

LEGEND

YES!
LETHAL LEGEND Scorpion's 1 hits special mid so it whiffs if they are not blocking plus it has 12 frames of execution. Against some characters 1 also whiffs namely Kitana. A better counter poke is 3,3, takedown or 3,3,4 which both hit mid and 3 comes out in 10 frames instead of 12. These are both negative on block, but they give Scorpion some space. The problem with 3 again is it sometimes misses since you get no forward movement from it. You can always counter poke with d1 =/...
If I am wrong about Scorpion's counter pokes some one please correct me so I can add it to my game.
thanks, i just threw that up there cause i was trying to fill in the blanks. I never got around to testing that one

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Just so everyone knows, d1 vulnerable frames don't necessarily leave your opponent in what the game engine considers to be crouching state.

Check my post in LotF's thread for more details.

Seapeople

This one's for you
For Sub Zero d3 works better than d4 since the opponent should be crouching when it hits, which puts you at +9. He can also get a free 21/22 string.