What's new

Character movement checklist?

input

Noob
I want to know if any of you have a sort of checklist that you run through when you pick up a new fighting game character. Or what is your process for learning a new game? So maybe just by looking at an animation you can already see the properties of the move in relation to another characters move set. Things like range, hit levels, recovery speed, etc. Also, do you memorize moves and combos with aid of the command list or do you just try to figure out movement on your own?

input

Noob
I may not have worded my last post too well. All I'm really asking is how do most high level players figure out which moves are supposedly better than others, within the moveset of a specific character? Or even in comparison to other character movesets as well.

I watch videos and read posts in where players talk about how much better some characters D+4's are in MK9, when analyzing the roster. I just want to know how these moves are being gauged in terms of effectiveness, and what properties are actually being taken into consideration. Does it really mostly come down to execution and recovery frames and range? What about character hitboxes?

You guys don't have to go into incredible detail. Just a simple explanation.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Things like range, hit levels, recovery speed, etc. Also, do you memorize moves and combos with aid of the command list or do you just try to figure out movement on your own?
Character moves =/= Movement.

Of course you look at the list to see the moves or what strings a character has, and of course you look at the frame data to see if they're useful or not. Why wouldn't you?
I may not have worded my last post too well. All I'm really asking is how do most high level players figure out which moves are supposedly better than others, within the moveset of a specific character? Or even in comparison to other character movesets as well.

I watch videos and read posts in where players talk about how much better some characters D+4's are in MK9, when analyzing the roster. I just want to know how these moves are being gauged in terms of effectiveness, and what properties are actually being taken into consideration. Does it really mostly come down to execution and recovery frames and range? What about character hitboxes?

You guys don't have to go into incredible detail. Just a simple explanation.
Well, if the move is fast, has range, change the hitbox properties, is fast advancing (or not), leaves you positive on block or is safe. Then it's a good move.
Reptile's, Mileena's and Sonya's D4 changed their hitbox, making them very useful in different situations.

I honestly don't know what kind of explanation you need lol

input

Noob
First of all, thanks for responding.

Of course you look at the list to see the moves or what strings a character has, and of course you look at the frame data to see if they're useful or not. Why wouldn't you?
I'll admit that was more of a tacked on question. My initial reason for writing that was this: I've had a few players say it can be easier to remember moves just by inputting normals or command normals without having to look at the command list. I've found that to be useful for games like MK9. Although you are right about the strings in the command list, since it's easier to just look up the button presses for linked moves in a combo, without having to search for them via trial and error.

Well, if the move is fast, has range, change the hitbox properties, is fast advancing (or not), leaves you positive on block or is safe. Then it's a good move.
Reptile's, Mileena's and Sonya's D4 changed their hitbox, making them very useful in different situations.

I honestly don't know what kind of explanation you need lol
I think you just confirmed my assumptions. That's a good enough explanation for me.

My only other questions are these. When you speak of an advancing move, are you talking more about how close a move leaves one opponent to the other? And when it comes to comparing frame data, is there a general consensus on the number of positive frames needed for a guaranteed follow up move to hit the opponent, without allowing him to counter at all? Is there a ranged number value?

Last edited:

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
My only other questions are these. When you speak of an advancing move, are you talking more about how close a move leaves one opponent to the other? And when it comes to comparing frame data, is there a general consensus on the number of positive frames needed for a guaranteed follow up move to hit the opponent, without allowing him to counter at all? Is there a ranged number value?
Yeah, for example, Johnny Cage's F3 is a great whiff punisher because it moves Johnny forward. Shang's F4, Kit's F2, LKs F12...

About the frame data, it depends on the match up. Pokes are usually the fastest moves in the game and most of them have 6 frames of start up (not all of them though). For example, after Shang's ground skull I'm +2, if I do a D3 afterwards (7 frame start up) I'll beat their pokes, but if I decide to go for another F4 (10 frame start up) they can poke me out with anything that's 8 frames or faster (7 if they're player 2).