What's new

Certain Mileena matches

Evrain

Noob
I've recently started playing Mileena and am quite enjoying her at the moment, but obviously I still have much to learn.

I'm having problems with a good Kung Lao or Kitana, but it may be my fault as I am getting into the habit of teleport kicking at every wake up or using EX too often. Either I get punished on spin or fan raise and a massive combo follows up.

How do I get out of the habit of using tele kick too often? What else can I use on wake up? I was thinking ball roll, but usually they are blocking and anticipating any wake up I would throw at them.

Also, what is the deal when I play Mileena and the opponent either wins or loses using another character. They either a) Mirror match me as Mileena or b) whip out golden boy kung lao. What's with that? Do they do this to make a point?? It's pretty irritating. When they win either as Mileena over my Mileena or with Kung Lao, they do fatality then leave and send some comment like noob or your Mileena is crap. It's quite disheartening when you're trying to improve your gameplay or a character.

Sasuga

Noob
How do I get out of the habit of using tele kick too often? What else can I use on wake up? I was thinking ball roll, but usually they are blocking and anticipating any wake up I would throw at them.
Just stop using it :) You don't have to do a wake-up attack. If you know you opponent is anticipating WUA then just don't. Let milly get up, go into block and see if you can set him up.

To get in you can also dash-block.

For zoning consider learning instant air sais. and use sais in air and as teleport kick follow up. You should actually always use instant air sais because you get better recovery and you opponent gets less combo opportunity when he manages to punish it. Because you are in the air.

I'm not a pro Mileena player but I hope this helps. Good luck with the match-ups!

Use pokes also. Abuse pokes. Her D4 is Godlike!

Zone Kitana. Your iaSais come out faster than her Fans. If she tries to full one full screen and a Sai hits, do a Teleport Sai for 15%. If she gets hit by one closer, while in the air of course, Roll into combo.

If she tries to throw out a ground Fan, Teleport. Up close if she pressures you with D1, block it and do a D1 of your own. You can potentially bait a D1 and punish with Roll, but it's a bit tricky.

Block on wake up. Roll is her best wake up though.

Personally, what helped me get rid of my Teleport tendencies was just replace every Teleport with an iaSai.

CaliJokerstyle

Dies A Lot
Mileenas wakeup game is not the best but you can mix things up with her wakeups. My advice is to use telekick only if they are not punishing it. EN Tele is better as the second hit must be blocked low so if they are not expecting it, you get some advantage. Roll should only be used as a wakeup if the opponant is in a string or is not paying attention as it is super dangerous to throw out. It does have invicibility frames which is nice against zoners but never use it at more than half screen as it can be block on reaction and is punished by full combo.

Against Kung Lao you must play more of a waiting game, this is a mistake matchup. Online most KLs throw spin to much and can be baited which gives roll into a combo. Tele kick on Lao is very dangerous and should only be used if he is spamming hats or on reaction to a hat throw. With him your best wakeup is to just wakeup block and use her pokes.

Against Kitana Sais are huge and tele kick on reaction to fans. Also get in on her with good pressure and bait out her strings for the Roll. Utilize u4 and b3 to mixup and get some combos started. b3b4 can be used as a mind game also. Poke sparringly as her d1 will beat mils d4.

The best thing with Mileena is to watch for the players habits and then bait them and punish, she has excellent punishment setups between roll, u4, and b3.

Massicus

Noob
I often find myself using too much Slides, teleportpunches when I'm getting desperate.
(Sometimes when I see the opponent lowblocking I automaticly do a slide instead of enchanced Ice-puddle, baiting him with a clone)
Stay calm, dont get to aggresive.
Remember how you would use tele-kick because you where desperate too often ?
Do this to Kung Loa's
Dont get close (aka get hit by a wake-up spin) block, the lowhats and when you do this they'll often are going to use the overhead teleport wich can be simply punished with a uppercut (random guy did this 5 times in a row,because he didnt know what to do).

You might lose alot of Mileena mirror-matches but the thing is, is that you are learning the Mileena vs Mileena match-up so you'll have an easier time later on (when you faced more, and get to know how a salty Mileena player works)

Could you do something for me in return
Use her second/klassik costume

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
I've recently started playing Mileena and am quite enjoying her at the moment, but obviously I still have much to learn.

I'm having problems with a good Kung Lao or Kitana, but it may be my fault as I am getting into the habit of teleport kicking at every wake up or using EX too often. Either I get punished on spin or fan raise and a massive combo follows up.

Also, what is the deal when I play Mileena and the opponent either wins or loses using another character. They either a) Mirror match me as Mileena or b) whip out golden boy kung lao. What's with that? Do they do this to make a point?? It's pretty irritating. When they win either as Mileena over my Mileena or with Kung Lao, they do fatality then leave and send some comment like noob or your Mileena is crap. It's quite disheartening when you're trying to improve your gameplay or a character.
Whats up evrain welcome to TYM and nice Mileena mirror's earlier. You shouldn't be waking up with tele after every knockdown or any wakeup attack for that matter. You want to wakeup attack when someones trying to pressure you or throws a projectile with enough recovery, don't just wakeup attack if you see someone dash towards you though cause they may just be baiting an unsafe wakeup.

Ex telekick and roll is what I use for wakeup most. As long as its not blocked crouching the ex telekick is safe does some good chip with ias and you can d4 straight afterwards and ofc on hit you get a safe jump. Roll is your mainly wakeup when they're really close to you an trying to apply pressure, its among the best wakeup attacks in game IMO so long as you don't let the opponenet easily bait it out. I mean noob can't even throw a shadow each time he knocks you down because roll just go's straight through it midscreen.

Try to use regular telekick as a wakeup less especially at full screen. If your at fullscreen and the opponenet doesn't do anything then often you don't even need to wakeup attack.

Like others have said though, watch and see how they react, if they don't catch on and don't punish regular telekick then feel free to keep using it.

Evrain

Noob
Hi all and thanks for the excellent advice - much appreciated. I've only picked up Mileena since yesterday, so obviously I'm still in the learning phase so the advice you've all given me will help a lot.

@spongebob - Yes - nice matches earlier! Although I've got a lot more to learn before I am on par with your Mileena. It helped playing vs you though as I think I picked up a few things from the match.

With regards to D4 I use it quite a lot and it often works to my advantage as a lot of players don't know how to handle it. What was funny earlier though that someone messaged me and called me a "f**king low kick spammer" so I replied and said its called poking and he replied back saying its a fancy term for spamming lol. It seems if you're on a win streak somewhere along the line someone will always try and pick at you to discredit your wins.

redeyes

Button Masher

Mileena Mirrors have to be the 2nd most annoying match ever next to sub vs sub. because its all about you messes up first and who gets the first punish after that that almost sets the momentum for the match.

Evrain

Noob
Mileena Mirrors have to be the 2nd most annoying match ever next to sub vs sub. because its all about you messes up first and who gets the first punish after that that almost sets the momentum for the match.
Lol yeah. The mirror match I had with spongebob was mad. Lots of purple smoke and light flying about.