What's new

Tech Catwoman Tip #10 (Catwoman 40% & 52% Cross-Up Corner Set-Up)

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
This is basically a 2 bar 92% corner set-up.

The cartwheel on the first BNB starts up the Cat Scratches, and you are guaranteed to build her scratches at the end of it. Both cross-ups that hit left or right lead the opponent back into the corner for positional advantage.

The best part of this set-up, is that even if they block the cross-up correctly, you are guaranteed great positional advantage and a way out if you crossed to the other side.

Here are 4 videos demonstrating each situation.

Corner Set-Up:

On Block Example:

Reborn

Noob
Krayzie you can use F3 1f2 after the MB dash for extra damage.
Overhead starter = 44% + 52% = 96%
Low starter = 48% + 52% = 100% :)

Because the extra hit could leads to extra gravity, it may not do the cross up setup afterwards. However, I do something similar with a j1 instead of a j3 (when I don't have 2 bars) and it works out fine so there shouldn't be any problems. If someone could test it out and let us know that would be great. If not, I can check it myself after classes.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
From my limited testing it seems like they cannot dash out of the corner and must take the guess or wakeup attack. I wonder if Aquaman can d+2. It probably would stuff his wakeup. Could be extremely good in that MU since trait wouldn't effect it. Great find.

LEGEND

YES!
From my limited testing it seems like they cannot dash out of the corner and must take the guess or wakeup attack. I wonder if Aquaman can d+2. It probably would stuff his wakeup. Could be extremely good in that MU since trait wouldn't effect it. Great find.
Krayzie

i know i forward dashed out of this before with GA.

was that because you went for the late ji3 or is GA's dash just THAT fast?

Rodrigue

Spongerod
I thought about wake ups too but 1F2 is a hard knockdown so can they wake up after a hard knockdown?
If that's the case, BA's lightning cage would be a problem, same goes for WW's lasso spin or whatever it's called...
Krayzie Great vids man, do these set ups work midscreen? Because J3 would cross them up anyway

Reborn

Noob
Yeah when doing it with j1, some wakeup attacks blow it up. These include (but not limited to) Aquaman's d2, WW's spin uppercut thingy, Flash's uppercut, ect. Having said that, the j3 has a weird hitbox and (hopefully) can create a timing with the j3 to overcome this. Also good to note that there are a lot of wakeups that will suck them back into the corner and you can punish wakeups/slides you wouldn't normally be able to punish in a cross up setup (looking at you KF, B-man, Harley). Again I haven't tried it with j3 so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Krayzie

i know i forward dashed out of this before with GA.

was that because you went for the late ji3 or is GA's dash just THAT fast?
I must have not done it correctly, because the cross-up reverses your position. You are essentially backdashing out. Green Arrow will eat the J3.

The only characters that can backdash out is Superman and Black Adam... I know right? Figures...

^ Oh and Flash by a hair.

He cant D+2.

I thought about wake ups too but 1F2 is a hard knockdown so can they wake up after a hard knockdown?
If that's the case, BA's lightning cage would be a problem, same goes for WW's lasso spin or whatever it's called...
Krayzie Great vids man, do these set ups work midscreen? Because J3 would cross them up anyway

KH StarCharger had some pretty interesting mid-screen cross-ups.

http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/catwoman-tutorial-video-by-kh-starcharger-fake-crossups-and-follow-ups.37468/

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Meter Burn the B3 you get 56% now. Meter burn both the B3 and F3 you get 59%

I'm gonna burn all my meter for fun and go nuts... lol

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I'm looking more into this and I don't get it. I am recording her doing it and then trying to block it myself. I can't get a timing where the jump 3 can blow them up for holding forward. Or rather holding back. I don't see the real crossup here, she goes past their body and then it's just a normal jump 3. How do you make it ambigious?

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I'm looking more into this and I don't get it. I am recording her doing it and then trying to block it myself. I can't get a timing where the jump 3 can blow them up for holding forward. Or rather holding back. I don't see the real crossup here, she goes past their body and then it's just a normal jump 3. How do you make it ambigious?
I was doing this as well, and was finding if you dash and neutral jump 3 you hit them from the front. If you do a foward j3 after the dash and hit it late then it hits them from behind but you land in front of them to continue the combo. Kinda weird.

Reborn

Noob
Unfortunately a lot of her jump setups are character/height dependent.

Practicing this on Selina, all of her jump setups can be blocked by simply holding forward.

Against taller characters (Green Lantern), you can get this to work slightly better. If you jump early, holding forward gets blown up but holding backwards blocks. When you jump late, holding forward will block and holding back blocks (even though you are landing in the corner). If you jump late and he blocks backwards, you can follow up with an attack and he has to switch the way he is blocking in order to block the next hit. It is really finicky and I usually use it when I am playing someone who tends to wake up with special moves in order to avoid it for a punish.

EDIT: For this corner setup, I prefer to use j1 over j3 because it comes out faster, albeit not perfect and small characters can still hold forward.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I did some extended testing on this, and I can get the cross up if they are holding back, but for some weird reason they can hold forward which makes no sense to me. I've been at this for hours and my head is just about ready to explode.

I even found another set-up that's even more ambiguous, and it also can blow them up for holding back, but not forward. I honestly can say i don't understand her j3 hitbox.

Its still good because you blow them up for blocking the normal way, but if they block correctly they have to then watch out for an overhead or low attack. They also have to be prepared for the jump, otherwise you can blow them up for holding forward rather than taking the jump 3 alternative.

I'll do some more testing after today. I think I can figure something out, its just a matter of understanding the hitbox. I just tested Starchargers midscreen j3 cross-up and its the same shit. So its definitely the hitbox on J3.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Yeah, seems like it'll be a great gimmick for new opponents either way.

Reborn

Noob
I posted this in the general discussion but it is probably more appropriate here. I found a setup in the corner that is a true left/right mixup on all characters:

Right after the 1f2 connects, you need to jump forward instantly. The j3 timing is also kinda strict but it needs to be when your opponent's knees touch the ground. If you jump instantly, it lands in the front (and holding forward does NOT block this). If you delay the jump at all, it lands on the other side.