What's new

Castle Golf Fight Night -- Lucky #7 03/08/08

styroteqe

Space Jockey
Castle Golf Fight Night -- Lucky #7 03/08/08 - 1st Place Winner - UMK3 Arcade Stick

Update, the first place winner will now receive a UMK3 custom arcade stick from arcadeinabox.com courtesy of ArcadEd. There will be a $5 entry fee, so heads up players. This will used towards a new stick for a future tournament.

repost from shoryuken:

Castle Fight Night #7 is presented in part by Long Island 3rd Strike along with UltimateMK.com

Hey guys, John "SweetJohnnyCage" Gallagher here bringing you Castle Fight Night #7 here on Long Island. These tournaments have grown in leaps and bounds over the past 7 months, and my only hope is that they continue to grow. The Long Island community for fighting games is stronger than it has been in about 10 years, and I feel that as a team, we can do a lot more! This is why I continue to hold these tournaments, and this one is no exception. Here's the lowdown for the next tournament.

Castle Golf
1878 Middle Country Rd
Centereach, NY 11720
(631) 471-1267

Event will be held on March ??, 2008. Casuals start at noon, tournaments start around 3 or 4pm.

A definite date hasn't been determined. I was thinking the 9th, the second week of March. Does this work for everyone? Please discuss!

There are faster ways of getting there, such as taking Sunrise Highway from the Southern State. The LIE tends to take too long because it just cuts straight(ish) down the middle of the Island, whereas the Southern and Sunrise cut diagonally a lot. I can give you directions depending on where you're coming from.

For the past bunch of tournaments (everything prior to #6), everything was constrained to the one area that holds 3S, GGAC, Smash and usually one other game. However, during Fight Night #6, we expanded and moved a few other games into the main arcade area. I'm not sure why no one thought of this before, but mad props to Mark for thinking of it. Castle Golf's owner, Lance, is a really cool and mellow guy and is really willing to help us out in any way possible, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind moving around some machines to make room for other games.

I might be considering making the venue fee $15, instead of $10. I'll be using this money for better equipment such as tables and chairs, as well as various other things so we don't have to be so dependent on my bag of extension cords. For now, the venue fee will remain at $10.

At Fight Night #6, we had a really good turnout. A new game was added to the roster, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, ran by Phil (9.95) from UltimateMK.com and it will stay there as a staple tournament from now on. Phil manages a trophy store, so there are plans already in the works for trophies or plaques for 3rd Strike, as well as UMK3 like last time. I feel like this bring a really unique approach to these local tournaments, although they're getting bigger and bigger.

Here's the list of games that will definitely be played at this tournament:

* Street Fighter III: Third Strike -PS2-

* Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection -PS3-

* Guilty Gear XX Accent Core -PS2-

* Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 -Xbox 360- (with at least 1 stick provided)

* Melty Blood -PC-

* Arcana Heart -PS2-

* Super Smash Bros. Melee -GameCube- (might be Brawl)

* Marvel vs Capcom 2 -Dreamcast-

For those of you who haven't been to a Castle Golf tournament before, here's how it works. If you'd like to run a tournament for a game that isn't on that list, all I need from you is $10 for venue. You can run a tournament for Super Mario Bros. 2 for all I care, as long as you pay the venue fee. However, if you plan on running a tournament, BRING THE NECESSARY EQUIPMENT, INCLUDING TV, SYSTEM, AND GAME(S). Although we really don't have the problem of "people coming to an event expecting there to be a tournament but there isn't because no one brought anything" anymore, I still have to stress this point.

I will be taking Mike (KayinNasaki)'s suggestion of making up a "Free Tournament" coupon. For each piece of equipment you bring THAT WE USE, you will recieve a coupon redeemable for entry to one (1) tournament. If, however, we don't use your equipment, then you don't get a coupon and you don't get into a tournament for free. This is to clear up any confusion and also to prevent people from entering tournaments for free when they should be paying.

I will consult with whomever is running other tournaments for rules, but for now, here's the rules to 3rd Strike.

=====Street Fighter III 3rd Strike -PS2-=====

* $5 entry, unless coupon is presented

* Double Elimination, 2/3 until Finals, 3/5 Finals, 4/7 Grand Finals

* 2 stations will be set up to make the tournament move more smootly and quicky

* Top 8 will be played in an SBO style setup with 2 TVs and will be recorded with commentary by myself and a few other people

* Prize Split will be 70/20/10

As I said before, I will consult with the other tournament coordinators for their rulesets. I encourage all suggestions from anyone, veteran Castle players and newcomers alike. The last Castle Fight Night had a turnout of 50+ people, 28 entering 3rd Strike. I'd really like to shatter that this time guys!

You can contact me through AIM, e-mail, or through my website (Long Island 3rd Strike).

e-mail: [email protected]
AIM: SweetJohnnyCage

Tim Static

Adminerator
Now, that is strange....3s on PS2? And MvC2 on DC?

Why not 3s on DC too?

3s DC >>>> 3s PS2/Xbox

But I wish I could go. The gaming scene in the NY/NJ area is someting I am so jealous of.

styroteqe

Space Jockey
Tim Static said:

Why not 3s on DC too?

3s DC >>>> 3s PS2/Xbox

But I wish I could go. The gaming scene in the NY/NJ area is someting I am so jealous of.
I don't get involved in any of the SF stuff, so not sure why they pick the platforms they do. I know that most of the guys there think the xbox 3s port sucks, and that the ps2 port is superior.

dubson

Noob
Tim Static said:

Why not 3s on DC too?

3s DC >>>> 3s PS2/Xbox

That actually isnt true.

PS2 > DC in regards to 3s.

It is the closest to arcade play, its actualy slightly faster, where as the DC version is considerably slower.

Thats why at Evo they always play on PS2.

But with MvC2, DC > everything.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Dubson said:
Tim Static said:

Why not 3s on DC too?

3s DC >>>> 3s PS2/Xbox

That actually isnt true.

PS2 > DC in regards to 3s.

It is the closest to arcade play, its actualy slightly faster, where as the DC version is considerably slower.

Thats why at Evo they always play on PS2.

But with MvC2, DC > everything.
Hmmm...interesting.

So the PS2 version is also better than the Xbox 1 version too?

I have both, and I always play PS2 version on SFAE because I got a stick for my PS3 (stupid HORI POS!).

BTW Dubs, its gonna be a couple more weeks until I get that Venom stick fom my buddy. He had a dud button, so its gonna be a while because its coming from Japan :(

dubson

Noob
Tim Static said:
Hmmm...interesting.

I have both, and I always play PS2 version on SFAE because I got a stick for my PS3 (stupid HORI POS!).

BTW Dubs, its gonna be a couple more weeks until I get that Venom stick fom my buddy. He had a dud button, so its gonna be a while because its coming from Japan :(
Yep. PS2 > every other console version.

Thats unfortunate one was a dud, sucks having to wait all that time to get stuff in internationally.

Do you have a pic of the artwork for it you can PM me?

Tim Static

Adminerator
Dubson said:
Tim Static said:
Hmmm...interesting.

Yep. PS2 > every other console version.

Thats unfortunate one was a dud, sucks having to wait all that time to get stuff in internationally.

Do you have a pic of the artwork for it you can PM me?
No pic yet. He keeps changing the art he told me, but he wants it to be a suprise. I'll send a pic either way :D

Alright, back on-topic....

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Tim Static said:

Why not 3s on DC too?

3s DC >>>> 3s PS2/Xbox

Ever play it for the xbox dude? I know it's more popular on the DC but it's online for the xbox version 8) ...so hard to find :x

Tim Static

Adminerator
MKF30 said:
Tim Static said:

Why not 3s on DC too?

3s DC >>>> 3s PS2/Xbox

Ever play it for the xbox dude? I know it's more popular on the DC but it's online for the xbox version 8) ...so hard to find :x
I have every American SF release on the DC, PS2 & Xbox. All the VS., the Alpha Anothology, all 3 SF3's on DC. I just didnt know which versions are considered the best, othr than DC usually pwns all others.

Tim Static said:
MKF30 said:
Tim Static said:

Why not 3s on DC too?

3s DC >>>> 3s PS2/Xbox

I have every American SF release on the DC, PS2 & Xbox. All the VS., the Alpha Anothology, all 3 SF3's on DC. I just didnt know which versions are considered the best, othr than DC usually pwns all others.
I'm glad I got the 3 SF 3's on DC. Before the anniversary came out, we were making sport with that DC version with Horis (everyone knows the DC controllers were janky with any game, so EVERYONE brought sticks). Although when it comes to the SF Anniversary, Playing SF3 TS on the PS2 pad, for me, is extremely tolerable...best controller to play with when it comes to consoles controller.

MKF30

Yeah, I have SFA for xbox, definitely the better version compared to PS2 because of the online play.

2 games online and full worldwide? Can't beat that! 8)

MK9

Noob
this is why u get flammed, dont u understand by now when it comes to tournment play, online gamming is not legit. no sf tourn would ever be held online, hence xbox being better online means nothing. the ps2 port is most likely the exact same thing as the xbox, making the ps2 version just as good.

online play is to just fuck around, nothing more, even umk3 plays like complete pooh compared to offline. smoke telecut uncounterable online.. but yeah online means something.

notice how they try to arrange umk3 tourns live in person on a dedicated machine??? why would that be if thay can all play from there house.. simple online play means nothing.

dreemernj

Ambassador
^ yeah I am pretty sure 3s is the same on Xbox and PS2 but everybody in the SF community already has a stick that works on PS2 and Xbox's netplay is only a tiny benefit for the folks that physically can't get to other players to play IRL. The online part is just a novelty.

And the 3s port for DC is just bad. The input on it feels so delayed. I had 3s on DC for years and could never play it at all. Then it got emued and I can play with practically no input delay and it's heaven ^_^

MKF30

mkvids dot net said:
this is why u get flammed, dont u understand by now when it comes to tournment play, online gamming is not legit. no sf tourn would ever be held online, hence xbox being better online means nothing. the ps2 port is most likely the exact same thing as the xbox, making the ps2 version just as good.

online play is to just fuck around, nothing more, even umk3 plays like complete pooh compared to offline. smoke telecut uncounterable online.. but yeah online means something.

notice how they try to arrange umk3 tourns live in person on a dedicated machine??? why would that be if thay can all play from there house.. simple online play means nothing.

Dude don't start, everyone knew that played that guy knew I had a legitamate case and I really wouldn't talk if I were you mr. "lag made me lose" to everyone in the 3D MK's...and I don't even live that far from you....the guy was in holland for god sake, I hardly if ever bitch, complain about lag where you complain like...all the time, compare peoples connections I mean it's a game..either play it or don't, nobody cares about connection status or if it's going to lag a little...

You can have tournaments, why not?There's two tournaments, online and offline...

Notice that there's hardly any "live tournaments" anymore that's why there's online, I mean hell even Namco is going or online now with Tekken and will with SC and they stated several times how much they're against online play but why did they do that? Simple, because every other fighting game has gone online....

And let me ask you a question, would you rather have SF4 and MK8 be online and allow players to expand comp or offline with numerous pissed off fans...

SF3 btw online is pretty fun, I played malone from MKO man does that dude know how to play SF... :shock: dude owns bigtime in SF

I never played DC online but heard it was back in the older days so it wasn't that good.

MK9

Noob
once again ramble on about offtopic info, where did i post anything about your ds lag fest in my last post, use ur secret decoder ring and show me.

of coarse they are going online big deal.. tekken 6 is going to be an arcade relase also, your point.

not one top player here would say an online tourn is as legit as an offline tourn. simple as that, not one game would determine the countrys best players by an online tourn.

and with the relase of 3 fighters online this yr, mk sales will take a even harder hit.

hop on a train and find out what real umk3 gameplay should be, not this make believe online game world u have come to love. online is trash and u cant argue anything diff. 5% of online games are lag free, sign me up.

DSL Legend

MK9

Noob
nit, i map quested it, and ill have to see. what time are u and wayne going to get there. is there a bar is this place??? looked like it from the pics.

MKF30 said:
mkvids dot net said:

Dude don't start, everyone knew that played that guy knew I had a legitamate case and I really wouldn't talk if I were you mr. "lag made me lose" to everyone in the 3D MK's...and I don't even live that far from you....the guy was in holland for god sake, I hardly if ever bitch, complain about lag where you complain like...all the time, compare peoples connections I mean it's a game..either play it or don't, nobody cares about connection status or if it's going to lag a little...

You can have tournaments, why not?There's two tournaments, online and offline...

Notice that there's hardly any "live tournaments" anymore that's why there's online, I mean hell even Namco is going or online now with Tekken and will with SC and they stated several times how much they're against online play but why did they do that? Simple, because every other fighting game has gone online....

And let me ask you a question, would you rather have SF4 and MK8 be online and allow players to expand comp or offline with numerous pissed off fans...

SF3 btw online is pretty fun, I played malone from MKO man does that dude know how to play SF... :shock: dude owns bigtime in SF

I never played DC online but heard it was back in the older days so it wasn't that good.
Your retarded for 1) you think there are hardly any offline tournies, cause there are ALOT and some are really huge, 2) if you think online is even remotely comparable to offline.

I havent said shit yet, but man you post some BS with these dumb long paragraphs. Stay out of these threads about tournaments with this junk.

Frankiebonez said:
MKF30 said:
mkvids dot net said:

Your retarded for 1) you think there are hardly any offline tournies, cause there are ALOT and some are really huge, 2) if you think online is even remotely comparable to offline.

I havent said shit yet, but man you post some BS with these dumb long paragraphs. Stay out of these threads about tournaments with this junk.
Now you know you saying bs when frankie get mad and he never get mad.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The problem with MK is there are not nearly as many offline tournaments for it as there are offline tournaments for say, Capcom games, or Tekken, or Soul Calibur. This is why I have been trying to get the numbers up for UMK3 since it's the most logical candidate of the MK serious to stand in line with Super Turbo, 3rd Strike, SC, MvC2, CvS2, SFA3, etc. The fact that online population became larger than the offline population merely due to XBL is the main reason why a lot of people who play UMK3 think that online play matters even moreso than offline. In short, it doesn't. In any fighting game the offline means more and it's unquestionable, inarguable, undeniable. It's logical.

UMK3 tournaments are now starting to beat out tourny numbers for games like DOA at the tournaments I go to, and basically the top turnout for almost all the "side games" which is great. It's also important that people in different regions take the initiative and start trying to have UMK3 tournaments all over. I know they happen, but they get enough attention. Georgia and Florida have more than enough players to get regular tournaments going. The Northeast is very active. Califorinia hard because that's basically like saying anyone from NYC should be playing in the same tournament as people from Georgia. It's just too much distance on the fly.

However, if enough people attend regional tournaments, overtime the best players will want to come out from each region maybe once a year and compete in a big tournament where there are only high level players. This is why I get so angry when people shit on tournament videos that take place around here. We do get some good players from far away states, but not enough. The reason why everyone likes ECCX videos is because the 3 best Chicago players were there, the 2 best NJ, the best in Philly, etc. It works better that way because even the lower level players in the tournament know what they are doing.

Yeah there are way more tournaments offline than online in any game. Ive actually never had an online tournament except for the online one we use to run for UMK3. But lag, most of the time, is just completely random. Yes you can determine lag by distance and internet speed, but sometimes it lags for no apparent reason. UMK3 is definatly under the radar compared to the fighting games. We do need to start having UMK3 tournaments around the U.S. and the world. Hand out flyers, make a myspace page for UMK3, communicate to people on XBL, DS, and MAME about a local UMK3 offline tourny. I promise you if we can make UMK3 more noticable, more people would want to get good in it. The skill gap in UMK3 is insane compared to other games.

Anyway, online is basically for practice. No tournaments should be legitly held online, for any sort of prize, especially fighting games.

dubson

Noob
Phoenix said:
Anyway, online is basically for practice. No tournaments should be legitly held online, for any sort of prize, especially fighting games.
QFT.

I wish there would be a regional tournament somewhere in the midwest :cry:

Im hoping that as we progress here we can start getting more regional tournaments accross the US.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I definitely think the whole arcade machine locator idea could be used as something to help coordinate locations for tournaments regionally. The more that happens the more people will join up and it'll become a game that is played regularly.

MKF30

Frankiebonez said:
MKF30 said:
mkvids dot net said:

Ok, not going to fight with you but I wasn't aware mods are allowed to flames users now? :shock: I'm not retarded thanks...but umm secondly I know mkvids is your boy so I'm not even going to state my case....I'm referring to MK offline tourneys... :roll:

Please re-read what I said, I said since all fighting games are online now it's because the arcade scene is dead.....I know there's plenty of tekken tournaments, SF, SC etc in asia...

But please tell me where there's a bigtime MK tournament offline in the USA. Evo is like the only one that has had UMK3, no other MK games...that I know of.

BTW, thanks for flaming me man...I try helping out you with preventing spam and shit and you flame me because mkvids is your buddy...thanks a lot. Then you tell me to stay out of a thread? wow