What's new

Question Can Deathstroke be used for rushdown?

TogetherLemon

Robot Blueberry
So yesterday I basically just played all the characters I was interested in in order to see how they played and whether or not I liked them. I really liked to play as Deathstroke, and he is super badass, but all I ever hear about is that he is a hardcore zoner. Personally, I don't like to play as a zoner, should I even bother playing as Deathstroke or should I just play as someone else?

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Zoning char can be funny (kenshi, Freddy, stryker), but deathstroke's zoning is unfortunetly too linear to not be braindead. They should nerf his zoning damages and make us be able to quickly cancel the guns (like stryker). It would be more interesting to play and we could use the gun cancel up close for some gimmicks.

You can play him rushdown but it's like firing a bullet in your foot.

Vagrant

Noob
Most of his strings are neutral or negative and have slow start up. There are very little frame traps. I think at the highest level he can't keep up up close against a lot of the cast. This is why they made his zoning so good. Probably not the right fit for you bro.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Zoning char can be funny (kenshi, Freddy, stryker), but deathstroke's zoning is unfortunetly too linear tonot be braindead. They should nerf his zoning damages and make us be able to quickly cancel the guns (like stryker). It would be more interesting to play and we could use the gun cancel up close for some gimmicks.

You can play him rushdown but it's like firing a bullet in your foot.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Trying to play a rushdown Deathstroke would be like playing a rushdown Kenshi; it's a waste of his talents. He also has no safe advancing specials and a lot of his moves are unsafe from under half screen. He can hold his own up close when it's an opponent trying to get in, but Deathstroke should never be the one trying to get in.

TogetherLemon

Robot Blueberry
So I take it that I should just play as someone else. Anybody have some decent recommendations on who in the cast is good at rushdown?

to each their own. But what Deathstroke suceeds at is keeping you away and killing you from afar. He has some mixups that are good hit low or overhead or medium that can help him switch things up and keep the opponent guessing. But in all hes tailord as a zone character with some decent mixups.

Sorry buddy but he is in no way a rushdown

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Try Harley Quinn, or someone with projectiles but rushes down like Joker, Black Adam, or Green Lantern.

Strider86

PSN:Sarajina86
I play rushdown DeathStroke :) but after playing at WNF he should stick to zoning and only rushdown when he needs to get people off him. Though doing his combos are so cool..

I think Deathstrokes rushdown game just needs to be developed. His sword spin is only -6 and has pushback. You can easily backdash to punish or go for a Overhead/Low normal combo mixup which is safe. Heck, anytime you land a hit you can go into sword spin MB for a risky Overhead/Low.

Deathstroke is a 50/50 machine, its just risky. Play crazy first life bar, play conservative the next one. lol

To an extent you will have to. there is waaaaaay too many character that can punish guns from full screen or just plain out zones him. If the player can do so much as return fire, DS is doomed from the start as a dedicated zoner.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Someone asked the same thing about Freddy one time, and even tried doing it, and even tried to prove it's possible. And I don't remember his name...

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I think Deathstrokes rushdown game just needs to be developed. His sword spin is only -6 and has pushback. You can easily backdash to punish or go for a Overhead/Low normal combo mixup which is safe. Heck, anytime you land a hit you can go into sword spin MB for a risky Overhead/Low.

Deathstroke is a 50/50 machine, its just risky. Play crazy first life bar, play conservative the next one. lol
This is pretty true. Deathstroke has some good combos starters, and a decent anti poke game.

B1, U2 is a good low combo starter.
F3 is a good overhead starter. As a bonus, you can add armor to it, and he crouches pretty low when doing it, enough to get under some attacks. It's pretty ambiguous at times too.
B2 doesn't lead to huge combos, but it IS a pretty quick overhead.
F2, 3 is super quick and can halt enemy pokes with ease.

The only thing I dont like about his melee game is the lack of a armored "move in" kind of attack. Sword flip is terribly unsafe on block.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
This is pretty true. Deathstroke has some good combos starters, and a decent anti poke game.

B1, U2 is a good low combo starter.
F3 is a good overhead starter. As a bonus, you can add armor to it, and he crouches pretty low when doing it, enough to get under some attacks. It's pretty ambiguous at times too.
B2 doesn't lead to huge combos, but it IS a pretty quick overhead.
F2, 3 is super quick and can halt enemy pokes with ease.

The only thing I dont like about his melee game is the lack of a armored "move in" kind of attack. Sword flip is terribly unsafe on block.
sword flip is probably better used as an anti-air or if u read a dash or something. I do wish it was safe tho, same with batmans take down. and by safe i mean like -5 or something.

Besides why would u need to get in? did you forget deathstroke was good at zoning?

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I'm not saying your JOB is to get in, but there are situations where keepaway just isn't going to cut it. Mostly in that midrange area where a single missed quick fire is going to make you eat a combo, or you normals just arent going to reach the opponent.