What's new

Guide - Buzz Saw Buzzsaw Guide

Meep8345

Noob
There is no guide so I figured I might as well make one giving an overview on what the character is about and cover normals,specials,combos,mixups, and frame traps. I'll also rate the character
Everything I say in this guide is not everything Buzzsaw can do there is probably something I don't know about or may have not been used yet.

Overview:
Buzzsaw Lao is a pressure and mixup machine with amazing normals and a decent projectile. He can constantly open players up but he doesn't kill quickly unless he corners them. Buzzsaw lao is for players that like being very aggressive,love pressure, and stagger strings.

Notable Normals and Blockstrings:
d1: Starts up in 7 frames, is -5 on block so your turn ends, and is +15 on hit. This is your best counterpoke against players that use d1 after barely negative blockstrings. It can also be used in frame traps. Untrue blockstring if you cancel into low hat

d3: Starts up in 13 frames, is -5 on block so your turn ends, and is +10 on hit
Basically a worse version of d4 in start-up. Only used for low profiling. Untrue blockstring if you cancel into low hat

d4: Starts up in 9 frames, is -6 on block so your turn ends, and is +17 on hit.
Good tool at keeping a player out and general spacing. It gives buzzsaw lao really good mixups after a knockdown. Usually bad to use during blockstrings because of low hat.Can also be used in frame traps like d1 One of lao's best pokes in the neutral. Untrue blockstring if you cancel into low hat

f2: Starts up in 11 frames, is -1 on block so you can stagger it, and is +15 on hit
Not as good as tempest lao's f2 but still really good. It has insane range,speed, Amazing whiff punisher/punisher in general and can be staggered. It is also godlike at counterpoking for example if sub-zero does f33 then hits a d4, I can counterpoke and full-combo punish it. If he just does f33 and blocks then if I hit f2 he has to to respect f21 so I'll get pressure from it. One of lao's best pokes in the neutral. Untrue blockstring if you cancel into low hat or stagger. Has whiffing issues against certain pokes like Liu's d3 and Millena's ball roll.

b3: Starts up in 15 frames, is -3 on block so you can stagger it, and is +20 on hit
Another really good normal. It advances lao forward,has great range, can be hit confirmed into big damage for a bar, and also can be staggered.

b2: Starts up in 18 frames, is -4 on block but you can't actually stagger it because it doesn't recover as fast as it says. Suprisingly its +0 on hit.
This is his overhead and you can really abuse it compared to tempest. You generally only go for this when you are at frame advantage or you stagger into it. True blockstring if you cancel into low hat.

Throw: Starts up in 10 frames, -24 on whiff, beats blocking, and is +10 on hit
Not really a normal but I feel like throws are really important to lao. After a throw you can use ex straight hat for a semi-free way back in or you can use a low hat just to have a projectile for them to worry about. You also have the option to run up to be closer. In the corner you get oki from it. Extremly important to mixup where you throw them, players that are good at teching will tech everytime in the corner so you have to throw them out of the corner sadly. Ex straight hat is punishable with a teleport if you use it and same with low hat/straight hat.

11: starts up in 8 frames, is +1 on block so you can not only stagger it but you can also frame trap most characters and is +12 on hit
I have no idea if they buffed this or if it was always like this but this is huge for lao. Frame trap and staggers. Untrue blockstring if you cancel into low hat or stagger.

11212: Starts up in 8 frames, is -3 on block so you can stagger it, and is +21 on hit
Amazing stagger string,hit-confirm, and builds decent meter. Lao can also counterpoke other players with 11212 but its not as good at that as f2. Untrue blockstring if you cancel into low hat or stagger.

112124: Just like 11212 but your turn ends completely if you do 112124 and you are forced to block. true blockstring if you cancel into low hat. Best pressure string

b321: Same frame data as b3 but its -5 on block so its safe.
Good hit-confirm midscreen for a bar,does decent chip, can't be staggered.True blockstring if you cancel into low hat.

f21: Good if the other player likes counterpoking f2. You can hit confirm it for a bar but if they block the first part and get hit by the second trying to counterpoke you can't unless you have inhuman reaction time.

Rating on Normals and Blockstrings
9/10:
His normals are amazing and his blockstrings are usually barely negative or plus. Great range and speed.

Notable Specials:
Spin: Starts up in 7 frames, is -25 on block so you are punishable, and is +70 on hit
His best AA imo. You can wake up with it if they don't do a meaty correctly,good punisher on strings/specials that are barely negative, and can be used to reversal stagger strings for a meterless punish

Ex spin: Start up in 7, is -19 on block, has armor, and is +71 on hit

Best reversal in the game, can punish things that are normally unpunishable due to pushback, and can blow up some armor.

Divekick: Starts up in 6 frames, is -38 on block, and is +51 on hit
Good at punishing projectiles but outside of that no real use.

Teleport: Starts up in 23 frames
Teleport 2 is good for punishing projectiles but outside of that teleport is nothing but a gimmick because good players will s1/d1 it on reaction.

Straight hat: Starts up in 17 frames, is -15 on block, and is actually -1 on hit
Decent projectile at a distance, only useful because of the better hitbox and slightly faster startup than low hat outside of that low hat is better because low hat is less negative.Takes FOREVER for him to recover his hat from a whiffed hat

Ex Straight hat: Starts up in 17 frames, is -5 on block, and -1 on hit
Great projectile because of it being slow. It almost gives you a free way in.

Low Grinder: starts up in 18 frames, -6 on block, and is +16 on hit
Good projectile but it takes forever for him to recover his hat if it whiffs. Can be jumped over.

Ex Low Buzsaw: Starts up in 18 frames,+4 on block, and +27 on hit
Good for frame traps,hard-to-blockables, and hit-confirms b22 safely in the corner for 35% dmg

Rating on specials:
7/10:
Pretty solid. It allows decent ways to zone a little and counter-zone with teleport/dive kick. It also allows good mixups when used with his blockstrings

Combos:
11212 spin jik divekick run s1 21 or jik dive kick. 23% or 24%
Hitconfirm and gives you a hard-knockdown if you end with s1 21. double dive kick gives you more dmg and corner carry. I prefer double dive kicks but 21 gives you a free ex low hat setup.

Spin jik dive kick run 1 21 or jik dive kick: 20% or 21%
anti air combo

Teleport 2 b321 spin jik divekick jik divekick 30%
punish for projectiles

b321 low hat 17%
Sadly his only way to convert any dmg meterless from b321 outside of the corner

b321 ex straight hat run b321 spin jik dive kick jik dive kick 39%
Massive corner carry and good dmg. If you have a bar this is your best combo. You can use b32 after the straight hat for it to be more consistent

f23 spin jik dive kick run s1 21 or jik dive kick. 24% or 25%
Whiff punisher and counterpoke with good dmg. Also hit-confirmable

Ex spin, jik dive kick run s1 21 or jik dive kick. 22% or 23%

b22 ex spin jik dive kick jik dive kick. 25%
Hit confirmable overhead for a bar midscreen.

Divekick 11 f21 spin run 21 21%
Divekick conversion. Only converts if you divekick a certain way

112124 low hat 13% dmg

44 run b321 spin jik dive kick jik dive kick 38%
Best punisher if you can use it

s1 f21 spin jik dive kick jik dive kick 23%
This is his conversion from an AA s1. You may have to use f2 spin instead

jump in 3 dive kick 1 f21 spin run 21 23%

Used for hard-to-blockable and air to airs

Corner only:

b22 ex low hat b321 spin jik dive kick 11212 spin. 35%
Hit confirm that is plus on block

b22 spin jik dive kick 11212 spin. 23%
hit confirm that is punishable on block

112124 spin jik dive kick 11212 spin. 24%
Also works on Tremor and All varaitions of Triborg midscreen but you have to end with jik dive kick instead of 11212 spin.

b321 spin njp jik dive kick 4 spin 33%

Rating on combos:
4/10: His combos are really weak because usually he needs a bar to do any real dmg or the corner. Honestly though this character barely needs combos to win

Mix-ups:

Now we can get to the fun part.

1 throw: Good way to get quick dmg 50/50 between string or throw. This is your bnb mixup

11, b2 low hat/b22 low hat: They're expecting the low hat after 11 but instead you go overhead.

b2 low hat, b22 low hat: 50/50 that's unpunishable but it does very little dmg. This is your second bnb mixup. Any chance you get to use it you should.

b3, 112124 low hat or 1 throw: Pretty good mixup.

f2, b3 throw, or b321 low hat. You can abuse f2 staggers against most players but if they know the MU they will counter-poke/armor every f2

f2,b2: You can react to it but its decent if they aren't constantly trying to react to every f2. They think that you'll do f23 which is a low but instead do an overhead.

4 low hat/ 44: A really good mixup to use once in a while

d4 low hat: It's a decent mixup but I never use it personally.

11212 back up b321 or back up d4/f2: This is meant to whiff punish their pokes. I'll update this with every characters options against this but so far it seems like I'm really on to something here. Jaqucci for example the only thing she can do if she reads he'll back up is armor,back up, or run up and use on of her fast strings. That's assuming she knows he'll do 11212 and not 112124. Lao has an option for armor (block), back up (chase her down with f2/b3), run up and use on of her fast strings (d4), and if she pokes he'll get a full combo (b321/ f2)

11, d1/throw/block:
11 is a frame trap against every character that doesn't have a 6 frame normal. 11 d1 will beat someone pressing buttons and throw will beat them respecting your plus frames. If they decide to armor so they won't have to guess you can block and get a punish.

After anything that's plus on hit or block Lao has a mixup between throw/frame trap
Example:
d4, run up throw or run up b321.
A really solid mixup.

Low hat(on hit) b2 low hat,b22 low hat, or low hat:
This doesn't jail on hit so they can armor or backdash it. If you think they are going to armor block. Backdashs have no answer outside of running up and using f2,b3 or throwing a projectile.

Any string into ex low hat, d4/block/throw. Ex low hat is +4 so d4 will frame trap if they try to hit a button. Block will beat them trying to armor it, and throw will beat them blocking respecting your plus frames.

Hard-to-blockables:
Any combos ending with 21 gives you a free ex low hat. You can then run up and time f4 to hit at the same as the low or you can use jump in 3 for 21% dmg. Jump in 3 is the better option dmg wise but f4 is harder to deal with and easier to time

Rating on mixups
9/10: Off most of his mixups he's pretty safe and it would take a good read to really punish his mixups. He's also really good at getting his mixups started with very little effort.

Hopefully this will help other Buzzsaw Lao's get started and figure out how to best play him. If you need help learning Buzzsaw or want to play a set send me a message/ friend request to me on ps4 (PotatoPower99)

Example of Buzzsaw play

Last edited:

Frizen

Noob
Best combo after b321 is b321 ex straight hat b321 spin, jk dk jk dk (40% or 39%, dont remember). It just needs to be timed correctly. Other than that, great guide. :)

Meep8345

Noob
What's the difference between buzzsaw and tempest f2?
I thought f21 hat spin worked on hit in tempest. It only works on block but even then tempest still has the better f2 because of it being a true blockstring. Buzzsaw's f21 low hat is not a true blockstring You also need to respect it in tempest if he has a bar since that actually combos.

Last edited:
I've been messing around with Buzz Saw for a bit and decided to throw together a combo video. Hopefully it proves to be of use to people.