What's new

Strategy Building trait? When/how?

I feel a little awkward posting this. I've only played the game a bit so far, and won't even own it until summer kicks in, but Sinestro really grabbed me as a character. I love the concept and blah blah blah.

My issue is that 1. I can't find much match footage of him and 2. in what little i can find trait seems like a once in a set sort of thing.

With that in mind, the only common way i've found myself building trait is off of EX rock from 3/4th screen. I know i can technically do it off of anything that combo's into shackles, but I feel like i'm better just getting the extra damage/meter/positioning. I'm pretty positive there's no way to just naked trait charge without being punished(or at least in 90% of matchups, still there might be a few setups).

There's plenty of combo's listed here that could have trait charging in them, but i'm not sure how many actually should. Which combo's actually still net decent damage or position if you trait charge instead of ending, and which ones are you sacrificing a lot for it, and how much charge can you realistically get?

Further i'm not really sure if sinestro even should or really can build trait in all his matchups. It's obviously very good vs just about everybody, but people who can easily get in or zone just as hard strike me as extremely risky to build trait against(superman, aqua, stroke come to mind).

In short i'm mostly posting this just to generate discussion and hopefully get some match video of it being used more, and because it seems odd to not have a topic dedicated to it when it's so crucial to sinestro's game.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Sadly its a bit match up specific. Against someone like Aquaman, theres no way you can do charging after a shackles because of his from the deep. Getting half a bar up, for 8/20% damage on you, is not worth it.

LEGEND

YES!
outside of building it after a combo ender (B213, B2B3 ect) i have been using trait cancels as a bait, which A) opens up combo opportunities, that in turn allow you to build more trait after. And B) Makes your opponent respect your trait charge

Finish combos with huge hit adv. I personally like a raw 3 bc it also 1.3 bars to fill. It's situational. Decide if u want to attempt a reset, go for damage or trait. IMO trait can change everything and will make it opponent hold sb a lil more. Zoning is more effective just with the threat of the orb being out.

Now........ If only half the cast couldn't punish fear/shackles/impact on black from 3/4 the screen :/

Fromundaman

I write too much.
I actually think trait is a lot safer to charge than it appears. It does have a bit of startup (when he drops to the ground), but after that you can cancel his trait near instantly (It's less than 3 frames since you can stop it on reaction and block a superman super). Because of this, I've actually used 1/3-1/2 bar charges to bait attacks in some matchups.

Now admittedly I'm not a top level player, but most of the people I've played have fallen for this, especially those who play characters like Doomsday or Catwoman who have to commit to a punish if I start charging from more than half screen away.

I actually even tried to mess with canceling into trait charge mid combo to try and go to neutral stance faster, but sadly the startup animation kills it. If he would instantly go into the charge instead of dropping to the ground, we could have had some really stupid shit.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I actually think trait is a lot safer to charge than it appears. It does have a bit of startup (when he drops to the ground), but after that you can cancel his trait near instantly (It's less than 3 frames since you can stop it on reaction and block a superman super). Because of this, I've actually used 1/3-1/2 bar charges to bait attacks in some matchups.

Now admittedly I'm not a top level player, but most of the people I've played have fallen for this, especially those who play characters like Doomsday or Catwoman who have to commit to a punish if I start charging from more than half screen away.

I actually even tried to mess with canceling into trait charge mid combo to try and go to neutral stance faster, but sadly the startup animation kills it. If he would instantly go into the charge instead of dropping to the ground, we could have had some really stupid shit.
this is what im talking about

You can charge trait and INSTANTLY cancel into block

im always charging trait while using sinestro when not throwing shit

ask anyone in atl lol