What's new

Question - Sub-Zero Breaking pressure

boba_buster

Noob saibot
How is everybody breaking pressure from good block strings? I usually try for s1 but a lot of the time I get hit by a low starter or poke and they keep their pressure , been having good luck with using throws in between safe strings and gaps ,

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Without meter, back dash works well for me. The timing isn't strict since it counts as a reversal and SZ has a great one to begin with. Also... As scrubby as it may sound, jump out works relatively well too. Simply holding the direction times the jump perfectly.

With meter, I'll ex frost bomb where I know there are gaps (Kung Lao's ex hat spin).

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
I've been curious about this as well.
In terms of Cryomancer, is the Frost Bomb still one of the better, metered options? EX Hammer can be broken by the fast, multi hitting strings.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
It's a good question to ask. Characters like Liu Kang and Mileena can still break armor I believe, despite frost bomb being pretty fast (15f). There are strings designed to do that, but frost bomb is better than crushing hammer (28f) for sure, and harder to punish than (9f) icy slide if blocked.

Cryomancer has armor breaking strings of his own after any hammer HKD into jip, 1 strings (success @ 19f) beating D'Vorah's options. Or simply 11 on opponents wake up (success @ 11f) beating Erron Black's options.

A lot of players get confused when their wake ups don't work out because they don't know the limitations of their armor. Sub has the luxury of possessing one of the best back dashes in the game to lean of when armor is risky.

Snoop88

Noob
Depends on a situation. I mostly try backdash. That's the best option probably. Backdash and ice clone right after may be a good trap against some players.

In the corner sub must rely on ex ice burst and slide.

EX Clone is a decent option now, after the hit box adjustment from the last patch. You can use it for example, to interrupt Cassie's b124, avoiding the mixup of her blocking and punishing either EX slide or Frost Bomb.