What's new

Bomb Trap Alternatives thread

I figured I'd post this to find out what people are doing after command grabs now that the trap is gone. I'd like to think that there's still a reason to use command grabs instead of just going for 2, 1 ragdoll or 1, 2, 1, ragdoll.

The only things I've found so far is either jump punch in afterwards, or basically leave it as a guessing game.

I've tried throwing out a mid bomb still just to see how people react. What I've found is that you can throw out a mid bomb, and just wait for them to jump at you to avoid it, then NJP (or AA) and go into the ret of the combo minus the damage from the bomb. This obviously only works if the opponent jumps at you.

The other thing I've done, once people are savvy to the previous, is throw out a far bomb instead. If they jump backwards rather than forwards, they land on the bomb and you've pretty much got your combo.

Basically, I've found that using a CG pretty much leaves you a 1 in three chance to guess right and continue your combo, which is all nulified if your opponent can teleport. Leaving a chance for good damage up to a 33% guess isn't worht it in my opinion, and I've decided that there's no good reason to ever use a command grab. Especially considering it's now one of the hardest moves to pull off because of how ridiculously easy it is to tech / break.

So, what are other people doing?

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
It is still a great tool.

The advantage after the grab is still great and grants you a safe jump, which can lead to an infinite mind game.

I do the grab, into a safe jump punch and do the grab again, sometimes then after that gets obvious, I just 2 1 into a free combo as they are trying to crouch without block to beat my second grab attempt.

Apart from that, I generally throw a mid bomb and wait for the jump forward, into the air throw, basically, its an amazing mind game situation that cyrax now has, instead of some glitchy trap.

I love it now that its patched and it is easier to break, it makes his throw a priority in a split second grab op, which as it was became redundant.

It would be great if they gave cyrax 2 more throw options after the command grab, a far screen throw, and something like his throw in MK3.

I have to admit that the removal of the bomb trap really disappointed me, I might switch character because of that.

Anyway, after the patch I tried something with Cyrax and I'm not 100% sure if it's a working setup, but is Ragdoll (WITHOUT the grab follow up) into mid-bomb and then immediately dash in with an attack/net works as a bomb setup?