What's new

Match-up Discussion Blood Ball Is Essential

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
In my opinion blood ball is a game changer. Yes it is a major risk, but it is an x-factor in her game. I would go as far as to say that it is necessary for Skarlet to show she is willing to throw some blood, in order for her to be played at the highest level she could be played.

Showing that you might throw out a blood ball here or there makes the opponent think about it. Skarlet is a mind games character and if you can add another thing the opponent has to consider to her tool box, it could very well be the factor tilts the scale in her favor.

Mixing this in with dagger cancels makes skarlet's zoning legit. Not that she even needs blood balls to hit in order to win, its just that you add this to her full screen pressure, it could be the thing that tilts the scale in your favor. Dagger cancel, instant air dagger, blood ball, mixed with some dashes in and slide is a crazy zoning mindfuck. Once an opponent gets hit out of their jump by a well placed blood ball, they respect the idea that you are capable of throwing more of them. Plus, people like to duck the daggers and you can aim your blood ball low to hit them out of that, after that happens they tend not to try to duck the daggers anymore, this is good.

Throwing blood balls out there at random throughout matches WILL LOSE, flat out, I'm not saying the one move on its own wins. However, appearing to be random with Skarlet is possibly her greatest asset. Throwing out a blood ball here or there makes it appear that you are capable of some weird shit. Just make sure you do it in a way that you don't trade with something else. Skarlet can be beaten if the opponent recognizes your patterns. Blood ball is a tool for her to throw off their pattern recognition.

I know people will say, its not safe, it takes your own life, it can't be a staple tactic. The fact is, that if Skarlet can appear risky, it adds more confusion in the match, and that helps tilt the scales in her favor. I would go as far as to say that she has to show she is willing to use it in order to prove to her opponent that it could be coming at any time.

Topics like this have come up before, but Skarlet's meta game is evolving and I feel strongly that Skarlet needs her blood ball, Discuss...

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Whats the chip damage on blood ball anyways it's pretty high as I recall but I don't play scarlet or play against her hardly ever.

Johnny2d

People have said that it should only be used when she has life lead, and to end a match. I find this thinking to be limited, and in fact destructive to the whole match if the opponent knows that you won't use unless those conditions are present. In fact we can use this to our favor, as of now, no one thinks a blood ball is coming, that makes it a perfect opportunity to use it.

Johnny2d

One more thing,

I would add that Skarlet is a momentum character, blood ball adds one more thing that you are piling on when the momentum is in your favor. It is also a momentum changer, and it can be used to switch the momentum back to skarlet's favor if she doesn't have it. Its a huge gamble of course but an option none the less, and I think we would be foolish not to use it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This thread just comes to the right spot, i figure the same today as well

Smith got screwed more than 4 times with a blood ball and makes him think before jump for a while during a few matches, i agree with this, but i don't just throw it random to force them to block, originally i'm now trying to screw up jips plans, still a bit unsuccessful but for now i aim for those who are being zonned, as you said in the OP, or those who are so desperate do get out of consecutive slides, a well timed blood ball will mindfuck them even more and if they take more than one for what they're trying.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'm not trashing you because I think you're a decent player, but every time I run into you I see you throw a blood ball at least once per match. I've blocked it 100% of the time.

Johnny2d

I'm not trashing you because I think you're a decent player, but every time I run into you I see you throw a blood ball at least once per match. I've blocked it 100% of the time.
Haha, that's fair. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't :) Whether I won those matches or not, I'll keep throwing them, cause I feel they are a tool that should be used. I would also bet that if I lost those matches, there were other factors and we couldn't blame it on the blood ball gamble.

swag1

EX smash solves all
i would use it only after 112 reset because thats the only way to guarantee it. after this, they must take the BB (hit or block).

block: 6% chip, 15% meter build -7% health
hit: 15% damage, -7$ health

because cancel blk advantage of 112 is +19, they can try to jump out of the 112 reset, but they get hit by the BB 100% of the time.

i would reccommend using it most to condition people not to try to jump out of the reset, specifically if you use 112~red dash into [conditions opponent to block 50/50] wait for the dash to recover into pressure/throw.

ryublaze

Noob
I agree that it can work during the most random times but in my opinion it's not worth the risk most of the time. Blood Ball is still escapable after a 112 reset. I'd rather use EX Dagger or Red Dash and get the 1, 1, 4 chip or mix-up instead. It's so slow that anyone can react to it at any distance. The only times I use it (which is rare) are:

- When my opponent doesn't do a wake-up attack and lies on the ground and I'm too far to start D4, Red Dash.
- When I need to finish the round/match with guaranteed damage.
- When my opponent starts ducking my daggers at fullscreen I'll dash cancel out of Dagger Toss and throw a Blood Ball (still escapable but you can change the Blood Ball direction once you see them react).
- After a knockdown fullscreen where my opponent has to block a Blood Ball upon getting up (matchup dependent).

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
blood ball can be comboed into teleport :cool:
also i have started using it after her f43 string , high blood ball into dagger cancel red dash slide .

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
B/c she needs more of that in her game...

freakin armor. :(
LOL.... i feel your pain sir :)

btw.... I don't know about the blood ball. I typically thank every Skarlet who uses it on me... as the animation is slow and easy to see. If it were as fast as her daggers.... I could see the mind game.
Its almost the same level as Subs puddle.... oh yeah... I said it....

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Blood ball is pretty good to finish off an opponent when we are in fullscreen actually. It is also good when you have -6% of life left and that you know you won't win the match : skarlet will kill herself with honnor.

SwayNTech

da bess
Love using the blood ball from full screen on characters like Sub, Sonya, Cage.. It's also good to use when you've conditioned opponents to jump/duck your daggers. well worth the 7% IMO

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I respectfully disagree that bb is essential :)

It's risky and hurts you for simply attempting it. I would almost always rather dagger cancel into dash to close distance, ex dash or teleport if they're trying to zone.

Skarlet doesn't typically win the zoning game - she can play it, and it can be rewarding, but her greatest strength imo is that she can ignore zoning attempts altogether with ex dash.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Johnny2d

I respectfully disagree that bb is essential :)

It's risky and hurts you for simply attempting it. I would almost always rather dagger cancel into dash to close distance, ex dash or teleport if they're trying to zone.

Skarlet doesn't typically win the zoning game - she can play it, and it can be rewarding, but her greatest strength imo is that she can ignore zoning attempts altogether with ex dash.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, I think I WANT to like it more than it actually helps :(

I still think it can be an x-factor, and might be a deciding factor in a weird match at some point...

I'm going to keep using it, quite possibly to my own demise, it just feels like this strange puzzle that I want to unlock.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yeah, I think I WANT to like it more than it actually helps :(

I still think it can be an x-factor, and might be a deciding factor in a weird match at some point...

I'm going to keep using it, quite possibly to my own demise, it just feels like this strange puzzle that I want to unlock.
You have to stay up to your convictions.

I personally don't see why wouldn't i throw a blood ball if i did the right read and the opponent is in position that if i throw a blood ball it will be rewarding to me besides taking 7% on my life.

Johnny2d

You have to stay up to your convictions.

I personally don't see why wouldn't i throw a blood ball if i did the right read and the opponent is in position that if i throw a blood ball it will be rewarding to me besides taking 7% on my life.
Yeah Eddy, I'll continue to throw em. Blood Baller 4 Life.