What's new

Blocking

Mickael

Noob
I'm hoping the blocking is like it was for MK 1 - UMK3.
The high/low blocking of the 3D fighters sucked as it would be impossible to tell if a quick low kick by...say Nightwolf was coming, or just a regular high attack before it already starts a crazy combo.

Does anyone know if the blocking will be the same as the original 3 2D fighters? For me, it's make or break as far as how many copies I get. ;)

Solo

Shadow Priest
The block for MK1-3 seems the same as MKDC to me. Only different was you couldn't perform a move after a low trying to confuse your opponent.

I seen this on wiki(Who knows if it's true or not.)

The normal blows have changed a lot, instead of having a few punches and kicks divided between high and low, now there's a button for each limb: front arm, front leg, back arm, and back leg. This combines with most martial arts techniques and serves to let more fluid character animations, but does not change much the feel of the game for those who already have experience with 2D games.

Mickael

Noob
"there's a button for each limb: front arm, front leg, back arm, and back leg."
? back arm and back leg?

MKvsDC also had the "have to block in the right stance" If I crouched and blocked, some characters were still able to hit you. Which I hope does NOT return.

Mickael

Noob
I was watching some new gameplay videos at gamespot..

So there's gonna be a elbow button and then a punch button and then a knee button and a kick button. ..and of course a block button

Is this what you mean??

DrDogg

Noob
No... it's exactly what he said, front arm/leg and back arm/leg. Think of it like Tekken, right/left kick and right/left punch.

Also, if blocking low was able to guard against all attacks it would eliminate a lot of skill from the game. There would be no need to block any other height. In the match vids it looks like Mileena has an overhead, so expect other characters to have attacks that hit an opponent crouch blocking.

Mickael

Noob
As far as the blocking, I can understand being able to throw.. but even throws were blockable in MK 1 - 3 by holding down and away.
My biggest fear is the cheese factor of combos performed by quick kicks that start low and then open the opponent up for a crazy combo like for example Nightwolf in the 3D games. That quick low kick while both players are standing.

Dark_Rob

Noob
No... it's exactly what he said, front arm/leg and back arm/leg. Think of it like Tekken, right/left kick and right/left punch.

Also, if blocking low was able to guard against all attacks it would eliminate a lot of skill from the game. There would be no need to block any other height. In the match vids it looks like Mileena has an overhead, so expect other characters to have attacks that hit an opponent crouch blocking.
Overheads are one thing and I agree it should have some. But some of the 3D MK games had some wierd looking moves, like kicks that come out really fast that you think would be low but are really mids. I see overheads and mids as something different in a 2D game. In a 3D game I understand mids and there need because side stepping is a big issue. In a 2D game fast starting mids like that just make blocking a total guessing game. You cant side step so you just have to guess right. In Street Fighter alot of overheads have at least a little more startup than normal pokes giving you at least some time to react to it.

I agree wholeheartedly about there being some way to deal with crouch blocking. If crouch blocking becomes a magic shield where nothing can hurt you then you get exactly what you typed above. There can be lots of different ways to deal with it I suppose. SF uses overheads and throws to break a crouch block. UMK3 uses chip damage, because even though a crouch block will defend against all attacks in UMK3, runjabs allow you to pour on the chip damage.
In MK9 I think overheads are the best way to go, I just dont want to see to many fast mids that will make blocking a total guessing game.

Mickael

Noob
In a 2D game fast starting mids like that just make blocking a total guessing game. You cant side step so you just have to guess right. In Street Fighter alot of overheads have at least a little more startup than normal pokes giving you at least some time to react to it....
....In MK9 I think overheads are the best way to go, I just dont want to see to many fast mids that will make blocking a total guessing game.
EXACTLY. EXACTLY. EXACTLY.

That's how it should be.. The 3D MK's made it an annoying guessing game.

Noob
There are some new vids from GDC up(I will post them later), there seems to be a few places where the block stun is a little too long to react to something that should be punishable. I hope this is fixed...

DrDogg

Noob
Overheads are one thing and I agree it should have some. But some of the 3D MK games had some wierd looking moves, like kicks that come out really fast that you think would be low but are really mids. I see overheads and mids as something different in a 2D game. In a 3D game I understand mids and there need because side stepping is a big issue. In a 2D game fast starting mids like that just make blocking a total guessing game. You cant side step so you just have to guess right. In Street Fighter alot of overheads have at least a little more startup than normal pokes giving you at least some time to react to it.

I agree wholeheartedly about there being some way to deal with crouch blocking. If crouch blocking becomes a magic shield where nothing can hurt you then you get exactly what you typed above. There can be lots of different ways to deal with it I suppose. SF uses overheads and throws to break a crouch block. UMK3 uses chip damage, because even though a crouch block will defend against all attacks in UMK3, runjabs allow you to pour on the chip damage.
In MK9 I think overheads are the best way to go, I just dont want to see to many fast mids that will make blocking a total guessing game.
I agree with all of that, but the problem is not with mid-attacks, it's with the risk/reward and speed of the mid-hitting attacks. To fix this problem, NRS needs to make mids that are either slow and safe, or moderately fast, but only lead to frame advantage instead of big combos. IMO, anything that leads to big damage should be either unsafe or slow enough that you can block it on reaction (offline).

From the GDC vids, it already looks like sweeps may be too fast to block on reaction, but it doesn't look like they lead to big damage, so I'm okay with that. I've mentioned this in previous threads, but I really like how Soul Calibur IV handles a lot of normal low attacks. If it's a fast low attack, you're at disadvantage even if it hits, but the attack is still safe. If it's blocked, you can be punished, but only by small damage.

There are some new vids from GDC up(I will post them later), there seems to be a few places where the block stun is a little too long to react to something that should be punishable. I hope this is fixed...
That worried me a bit too, but animation can look odd sometimes so I'll wait and see what's really punishable and what's safe.

On a side note, does the game look incredibly stiff to anyone else? The animation seems fairly lackluster. I don't know how many non-MK fans will enjoy watching high-level matches of MK with the game looking like it currently does. It's a minor issue, but could lead to problems down the line (from a competitive standpoint).

Mickael

Noob
Is an overhead attack usually a turn around jump kick?

When you say block stun, you mean like when Mileena has her roll blocked and she spins up in the air for the opponent to start a crazy combo?

Dark_Rob

Noob
Is an overhead attack usually a turn around jump kick?

When you say block stun, you mean like when Mileena has her roll blocked and she spins up in the air for the opponent to start a crazy combo?
An overhead attack is exactly what it sounds like, an attack that comes from overhead and hits mid to guard break a crouch blocking opponent. Overheads must be blocked high.

Blockstun refers to the amount of time it takes after blocking an attack to release block and be able to attack. The problem they are reffering to is there seems to be alot of animation involved with lowering block. This animation consumes time because you cant attack until its finished. As an example, if a basic jabs recovery is faster than the blockstun recovery then its very possible to be able to lock the opponent in block stun by jabbing them over and over again. There only recourse would be to release block, take the hit and hope they can escape. But this is a drastic example.