What's new

Blocking to much, Is it wrong?

I was playing somebody earlier who made the comment that I liked to block a lot, but is that a problem? If I know they are running in on me to do a combo I'll block immeditly, I usually wait for a window to open for me to do something, but I've been trying to play more aggressively but it always back fires(esp when I'm Kabal vs a Striker, Its hard for me to do anything but keep em zoned across the screen shooting his ball).

Any advice?

There's nothing wrong with utilizing a feature in the game.

If it's there, it's meant to be used and it doesn't matter how much.

WindOfHorror said:
I was playing somebody earlier who made the comment that I liked to block a lot, but is that a problem? If I know they are running in on me to do a combo I'll block immeditly, I usually wait for a window to open for me to do something, but I've been trying to play more aggressively but it always back fires(esp when I'm Kabal vs a Striker, Its hard for me to do anything but keep em zoned across the screen shooting his ball).

Any advice?
I play like this sometimes, it's smart I call it playing "Safe". Now, if you are sitting there crouch blocking and not trying to do anything, then you need to work on your offensive skills/countering skills. You should be able to counter every mistake your opponent makes. Most of the time it pisses people off if you beat them while doing it. You are pretty much blocking and waiting for them to mess up so you can counter. I normally play like this vs characters such as Ermac and Kabal. I change my play style depending on the opponent I'm fighting.

I'm the type of person that says "If it's in the game use it." it may be cheap and people may not like it. But if it helps you win and it is part of the game, use it to your advantage to win.

Yea theres nothing wrong with blocking, i do it alot. Even when or if my opponent goes invis i block the most. Btw im not saying i duck and block in a corner, ive seen people do that and its dumb/annoying. -.-

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Honestly, sometimes scrubs will say "You need to stop blocking so much" because they just want free hits and this usually is said when they are losing matches. It's exactly that. I block a lot, but my defense is annoying enough against lesser players with that mentality where they won't play. If I'm blocking every single thing they do, that means their attack patterns are too predictable, but at least they are attacking. Remember if you are blocking, you're not doing damage, so just block when necessary. If you're blocking and winning, no one has the right to tell you how to play.

summoning

Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard
I was always known as one of the most "turtling" players , if it works go with it
sometimes you can fustrate someone to a win :)

there is a difference however between blocking alot and running away though , that I dont do

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
The way I see it Blocking excessively is part of the game(and all MK's) so you put pressure on your foe if they're nothing but a turtling, blocker that likes to do nothing but counter you...chip damage will happen, they'll see that and it'll stop real fast.

I don't see bitching about it lol, it's part of the game so players will use it.

The only time I have a problem with it if I'm playing a "lag causing scrub" and they pic U. Sub and their slides are safe or their safe on everything....like this one dope on DS, all he does is clone, slide(super safe), turtle and block repeat... :roll: he has no actual "skill" when his lag gives him an edge or helps out...

sorry abc the game broke a couple mins ago couldn't get back in, hate xbl. On topic there nothing wrong with blocking, i mean who wants to get punched in the face! Use that time to study your opponents attack patterns because you don't have much time

MKF30 said:
The only time I have a problem with it if I'm playing a "lag causing scrub" and they pic U. Sub and their slides are safe or their safe on everything....like this one dope on DS, all he does is clone, slide(super safe), turtle and block repeat... :roll: he has no actual "skill" when his lag gives him an edge or helps out...
I've played that guy on the DS, I forget his name tho, I figured out a way to beat him and now he won't play me anymore.

Nah man just keep on blocking if it works for you,and if someone online is complaining about your play style just ignore them,just play how ever you feel comfortable.

MKF30

Vengeance said:
MKF30 said:
I've played that guy on the DS, I forget his name tho, I figured out a way to beat him and now he won't play me anymore.
Yeah man lol, just played him the other day and beat him pretty badly also the only time he got me was on that waterfront stage(which is laggy in general) and he picked U.Sub against my Kabal...

Then after that I beat him with Sektor, Cyrax and ironically U.Sub...gave him a taste of his own medicine...the funny thing is this, when I picked U.Sub he ran straight to NW...and there was "no lag" in that match...yet whenever he's U.Sub it lags to fuck...

I cloned his NW to death... :lol:

Has to be the most boring, most predictable player to play....

Derek

Noob
It's boring for me when someone just sits there and turtles. So, I don't even bother playing DiabloKing MVG anymore because he's not going to beat me playing like that so why bother playing? However if sitting there blocking forces someone to make a mistake then whatever good for you.

Its just another reason to complain. "You block too much" is one of the funniest things ive ever heard playing competitive mk. Blocking isnt broken. Whats even funnier is when u turn the tables on ur opponent and play "TOO" aggresively then u get a "Damn i couldnt even move! He must have a mod!" Like Gon Zel said,if its in the game,use it. Just kick ass!!!

Grue

Noob
Blocking in general is good, yet the only thing that I hate is when somebody just goes to the corner, ducks and keeps trying to get uppercuts. It really makes the game boring for me, by just being able to counter with sweeps. :evil:

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
Heh, blocking "too much" is a common complaint. But I especially love when someone says "all you do is run away". You can only "run" in one direction, and that's TOWARDS the opponent!

MKF30

BustaUppa said:
Heh, blocking "too much" is a common complaint. But I especially love when someone says "all you do is run away". You can only "run" in one direction, and that's TOWARDS the opponent!

Very good and valid point. The only way I can see that as if someone is jumping back constantly away from you but then you can go on the offense by charging them so it all comes down to what you said. 8)

I love it when someone does that and I have a teleport, and take out out in midair from the other side

I was playing this guy the other night on XBL. I was owning him pretty badly and on the mic he kepy saying "block block block" over and over and it was really getting annoying. So the third match I get a flawless the second round and don't use block and I do a friendship and he drops and exits my room faster than I have ever seen someone drop before. I probably laughed for a good two minutes. It's annoying when people complain about blocking.

Tim Static said:
elitebomberX said:
It's annoying when people complain about blocking.

Very, very true.

And those who complain and drop midmatch because all you do is JK & Sweep, lol :roll:
Whoever complain about blocking wow it is a easy win. This should not even be a thread to be honest what kind of a ? is this.

Tim Static

Adminerator
DC HUSTLE 106 said:
Tim Static said:
elitebomberX said:
It's annoying when people complain about blocking.

Very, very true.

And those who complain and drop midmatch because all you do is JK & Sweep, lol :roll:
Whoever complain about blocking wow it is a easy win. This should not even be a thread to be honest what kind of a ? is this.
Completely agree.

Its like complaining about somebody using the HP or LK button. I mean, come on. Only a complete scrub is gonna think your oppenent is just gonna stand there and not block any damage.

This thread is very dumb