What's new

Blocking... some can, others can't.

elamit

Noob
Offensive players generally do pretty well in this game;
but I've noticed that defensive players (counter attackers) seem even tougher to beat.
My blocking sux!
(Letting go right at the worst possible time it seems)

How do you improve your blocking?
I work a lot on stuffing wake-up attacks, doing BnB combos, offense mostly.

I haven't noticed any dicussion on the simplest, most important element to the game, Blocking!
Perhaps it is just that many good players can read attacks well.
Any help is most appreciated.

aj1701

Warrior
Might not be letting go of block. I think, but am not sure, that you can be JIP when crouch blocking.

Of course, as soon as you don't let go of block, you get thrown.

I'm pretty sure you can be JIP while crouch blocking.. I manage to do that against alot of people.. thats why I fuzzy the second I see someone jump in. I think its more once the attacks start coming that I fall into the "oh, maybe I can uppercut now", or, "maybe a d1 will break their attacks"..

chem

rrespiritu

Mortal Kom~what now?
All I know is know the matchup, it really helps if you know the player what are his habits and styles, other than that I think its all in experience and right
judgement, I dont know if there is really a strategy about when to let go of the block button, but if there is such a strategy when to let go of the block buttongI would also like to hear it. thx for the thread

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Knowing when to let go of block is simple.......know your match ups. For example...

Sub Zero; Most sub players will ice clone and spam their df, 3 to freeze you. Block it and eventually they will come in and be more aggressive. Possibly attempting the 2,2,df 3 tactic. After that combo attempt you have a slight window to let go of block and counter. It's simple really. Just know the character you're playing against. Unless it is a scrub that jumps a lot and throws random shit out. Then it becomes tricky.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
I'll just say a couple of points that might help:

1) try to find patterns in your opponent's behavior
2) learn what generally is or isn't safe with every match-up
3) know the speed of your character's move set
4) be patient

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
You want me to be honest?

Eh, I'll be honest anyway.

The way this game is designed, it appears blocking has become more of a liability than a benefit. Why do I say this? I'll provide a list:

- chip damage.
- meter-building.
- combo possibility off of either a low hit or an overhead.
- throws.
- cross-ups.

For the first item, if you have plenty of health to hold on to, it isn't much of an issue. But if you're running very low, you're likely to panic and start looking for a way out of the pressure. This oftens leads to you losing, especially if you're facing a smart player who knows his shit with pressure tactics.

The Super Meter is always a vital part of strategy, and an attacker can get lots of it just by making his opponent nervous enough to block so that he can repeatedly pressure you with a mixture of low pokes and high hits. This also awards him the chance to inflict chip damage, which makes this two benefits in one for him. For you, the defender, it makes your situation look even worse.

Not all characters have the ability to combo off a low hit or an overhead, but trust me...they're out there, being used by even tournament-level players. If they manage their mix-ups in a godly way, you'll start to feel as if your block button has been rendered useless and instead you'll be frantically low-poking and/or jumping just to get away.

Since you cannot be holding the block button while trying to escape a throw, this will definitely kill your defense. If you block a jump-punch (or cross-up punch), the throw is guaranteed, I believe. This could trick you into not blocking when they come in on you with a jump-punch, but if you misinterpret their intentions...get ready to eat a full combo or get ensnared into a vortex of pressure.

I already mentioned cross-ups. You sometimes try to uppercut them, low-poke them, or use a special move depending on the character to counter their jump, as it is universally an unsafe tactic, but if you're not quick enough to react, one of these three outcomes will occur: you'll get hit while on the ground and be combo'd into submission, get knocked out of the sky by the punch...or, depending on the character, you might eat an anti-air combo off a cross-up (examples of this include Kitana and Mileena.). Blocking is little better, as they can start chipping away at you or throw you.

Now, this is not to say that blocking is not a vital part of your game. It is all a matter of being patient and knowing when the time to counter is right. But I feel that this game tests you more for your ability to react appropriately. If you just hesitate or do nothing, you give your opponent control of the fight. You do not want that at all.

So the best I can say...keep that block button handy...but train your reflexes enough so that you'll recognize a situation when it comes up in your face and know what to do to overcome it.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
I'll just say a couple of points that might help:

1) try to find patterns in your opponent's behavior
2) learn what generally is or isn't safe with every match-up
3) know the speed of your character's move set
4) be patient
This all day! I mostly want to point out item 2. The best way (not perfect) I practice this, to to pickup the char that's giving me problem in training mode, and play against my main on expert. Keep doing the move or string that giving u problem and see how the computer reacts to it. Sometimes it might take a while for the comp to counter effectively, but it will try to a) D3 to poke out of it; b) EN special to counter it; and c) which come as a surprise to me sometimes, sweep or D3 to interrupt follow by a quick sweep. Most of don't usually use sweep that much because of how unsafe it. But since most first hit of a string hits high (of course it depends on the pressure string), the sweep will counter the second hit of the string. I know I know, you are probably saying...did he just recommended sweep when I'm under pressure? The point is, there are options to get out of pressure, tools that we would never dare use, and sometimes they are the most effective.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
How do you improve your blocking?
Just have to memorise your oppponent's string, yup, 30 something opponents by 3 or 4 strings!!!

Plus in order to become better at counter attacking, after you block. You have to release block ASAP after blocking. I believe your character will come out of block stun quicker, allowing you to use a bigger punish.

greeneless

Mortal
It helps me to learn the basics of new characters. Until I've played with them and tried to do their combos, I find it harder to defend against them. It's probably just how I am, its hard for me to tell exactly where the lows and overhead hits are, and what options the character has, just by fighting against him/her.

Justice

Kombatant
My suggestion would be to go into Training Mode with an Expert bot and restrict yourself to only moving and blocking. Don't forget to change it up every once in a while so you can learn your matchups at the same time. But as was mentioned, that's only part of your defence. When you start learning your matchups, you'll start seeing holes in their offence and ways to offensively defend yourself instead of turtling and taking the chip damage.