What's new

Best use of Meter with Liu?

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
As we know, Liu Kang does not really have any great ex specials. His kick just does more damage, the bicycle just does more damage, the fireballs just do more damage and his parry is probably the only useful use of meter as it allows you to juggle them.

In terms of x-ray Liu is among the least damaging of x-rays. This is compensated as you can hit them as they fall. But the damage done by using 3 meters is only slightly greater than your regular Final Act x4.

So how would you use meter? For an x-ray? For some specials? Or for breakers?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
With the patch, both EX flying kick and EX bike kick have armor, so they work as tools to get around projectiles.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It is on PS3. Microsoft is still testing it for the 360, so there's no telling when it'll be out, but at the very least, by the end of the week.

As we know, Liu Kang does not really have any great ex specials. His kick just does more damage, the bicycle just does more damage, the fireballs just do more damage and his parry is probably the only useful use of meter as it allows you to juggle them.

In terms of x-ray Liu is among the least damaging of x-rays. This is compensated as you can hit them as they fall. But the damage done by using 3 meters is only slightly greater than your regular Final Act x4.

So how would you use meter? For an x-ray? For some specials? Or for breakers?
As THTB said, EX Flying Kick has armor so it's great for getting around zoning. It's probably the best thing to spend meter on.

I like Liu Kang's X-Ray. I don't know why you'd say it's low damaging, if you get the combo after it's 46% which is pretty nice. Like EX Dragon Kick you can use the armor to go through projectiles, the arc on it makes it decent anti air, and it overheads which isn't super useful but it's better than not overheading. It also goes further than it looks like it does, which can catch people off guard; from max distance, dash forward once and you're now in range to hit with X-Ray.

EX Parry is probably the best damage to meter ratio for Liu Kang since you can get 28% for one bar, compared to 8% for unenhanced Parry. However, I wouldn't enhance it unless I was 100% certain it was going to hit, and I'm never 100% certain it's going to hit, so there you go. I'm still playing around with Parry, trying to work it into my game more and see where I can reliably land one.

Rushdown

Noob
Huh? Doesn't he get the most damage in the game from hitting an xray other than cage in the corner?

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

iWumbo

Noob
If I happen to have a full meter and I'm in the middle of a combo (either 2,1,3 or b3,1,2), I end it with a f2,4 which leads into Xray very nicely. The damage from the initial combo plus whatever you can tack on afterwards is nothing to sneeze at.
The only time I see myself using EX Flying Kick is if me and the opponent are both very low on health, and he's trying to projectile camp me out. Throw out an unexpected EX Kick, bash em in the face, the round is yours.
As for EX Parry, I would probably only use it when I'm near the wall and I know they'll be launched against the wall so i can pound in some high %'s.

Other than that, it's all Breaker fuel.

Tw1sted

Noob
ex flying kick, ex bicycle kick, and ex low fireball all have armor and are his best wakeup options. first two can be used as a get off me move to get out of the corner. flying kick is especially good on wakeup when you know they're throwing a meaty projectile. i almost never use xray anymore since the armor buffs. its all bnbs and corner juggles, or bulldogging my way in with f21.

you can combo them in the corner with 2 enhances & it'll come out to 49%, but that's about the highest I've gotten with him without the x-ray

Bluez

~ Rialt1 PrimE ~
I use my meter for breaker, ex flying kick for zoners and a well timed ex bicycle kick smacks jump ins. Also, ex parry is free combo, can't argue with those results.

But the damage done by using 3 meters is only slightly greater than your regular Final Act x4.
Final Act x4 isn't armoured and doesn't catch jumpers though, the X-ray does both. I've even been caught out of crossups by it somehow. Also Liu hates breakers and the X-ray is unbreakable, obviously.

Combine that low damage X-ray with juggles and you get 46% (when slow grapple X-rays only do 41%) plus a free ride to the corner. You can even juggle into projectiles for more unbreakable damage if you want.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Final Act x4 isn't armoured and doesn't catch jumpers though, the X-ray does both. I've even been caught out of crossups by it somehow. Also Liu hates breakers and the X-ray is unbreakable, obviously.

Combine that low damage X-ray with juggles and you get 46% (when slow grapple X-rays only do 41%) plus a free ride to the corner. You can even juggle into projectiles for more unbreakable damage if you want.
Yeah There is always a place and time for Xray. I tend to use meter with him in three different ways (sans Xray). 1) If my opponent is projectile happy... exBicycle is 19% damage to the face. 2) If i'm knockdown in the corner and my opponent jumps in.. exParry into combo. 3) I need to win the round and my opponent is someone like Sindel, Kitana, Mileena Noob... and they run away while shooting stuff... exFlying Kick.

His Xray combo is quite powerful in a pinch, but most times the combo AFTER can be broken because of the meter gained by the X-ray itself.