What's new

Best tactics against Johnny Cage (Reptile)?

Luija1006

since 1995
I am going against a good Johnny Cage in some weeks and I want to know what are the strategies that counter JC frametraps and pressure. I ask here because Johnny Cage mains know their character pros and lacks better than anyone. My opponet has a lot of knowledge about the Reptile match up, so I want to try and surprise him. This particular JC player likes to crouch block a lot. He fuzzy guards my 3 2 1 slide-acid hand. He blocks all my E Dashes for full combo. Once he is in, I have no idea how to make him gtfo. Also, can you counter a blocked red kick with a full combo or only with Elbow?

Zone him. Your force balls are good. Ex Slide is your friend. Ex Dash IIRC can be good, you're +5 frames and a quick D+4 Acid Hand can trap.

This might be really old but watch [MENTION=4]THTB[/MENTION] vs Riu48 during PowerUp 2011, just for a general reference. That's the only Johnny Cage/Reptile match I can recall. (THTB won BTW)

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Zoning doesn't work as well as you'd imagine. There's a problem with Reptile's zoning...the projectiles come out too slow. He cannot constantly chuck out projectiles unless he spends some meter and throws out EX forceballs. Because Cage's dash advances really far really fast, he's eventually getting in, and you'll eventually have to be mindful of the range where he can dash f3 and you have to outpoke him.

Pretty much you have to pressure Cage back. If you find yourself getting pressured, remember that you do have elbow and EX slide. Also, if Cage commits to f32 or f33 and you jump, you get some breathing room. Be careful, though, because a random d1/1/2 can lead to trouble as he'll get an AA juggle out of it.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I would recommend never throwing a force ball shadow kick range, normally I can shadow kick ( risky) as soon as someone starts it up.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I will respond when you make a 3rd thread about this. I vote the Kitana forum.

Luija1006

since 1995
I will respond when you make a 3rd thread about this. I vote the Kitana forum.
I made 2 threads in the two character forums so I could gather info from both Reptile and JC users. Why you and [MENTION=7704]Playpal[/MENTION] are mad about it? Are these 2 threads bothering you in some mental or physical way? I think not, ok thanks.

I made 2 threads in the two character forums so I could just get the most info from the experienced users: Reptile users and JC users. Why you and [MENTION=7704]Playpal[/MENTION] about it? I just want to have all the knowledge for the tournament coming soon.
Reptile players are gonna know how to defeat JC players the same way JC players know how they can lose to reptile players. Look at the posts on this thread and the other thread. The two people who helped you here said the same thing as the people who helped you on the other thread. We have dedicated threads for match up discussion and making threads like these is pointless and just fill up the forum. If you really felt like you wanted to make a thread, just make one with the thread title "Fighting JC with Reptile?". All the JC players are gonna see and and all the reptile players are gonna see it, therefore you're gonna get all the help you'll want.