What's new

Strategy - Sub-Zero Best stage for each variation of Sub-Zero?

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Unbreakable was easy choice for me. Interactables go straight through shield, and since he has only one decent wake up which is highly punishable, he can have difficulty getting out of the corner. Kuatan Jungle struck me as the best option here, the only interactables are swinging vines that have to be jumped to punish with, and are generally just a worse Ice Parry punish than an actual JiP, so no fear there and they will be more useful to you than your opponent, and the corner has wall-run escapes, giving you 1 more option for getting out of the corner, which isn't as easy for your opponent to abuse in return considering your best corner combo starter (B2) catches them out if they try to use it, as will an Ice Burst often enough

As for GM, I swear by Lin Kuei Temple, fittingly enough. I love the two mid screen "leap" interactables, they are perfect for positioning, and can be used even in midair and in either direction, making it great for dodging projectiles aimed at your jump arc, but once again harder for your opponent to abuse thanks to the Arc and hitbox of clone toss, and the fact that they can often end up just landing inside a Clone off the jump, and also SZ's air to Air is just awesome as well as far as active frames and hitbox goes, and the fact that it is a good convert as well. I also like the midscreen projectiles, yeah they go through clone, but I'm ok with playing cautiously with clone while my opponent is near them, and on the other hand since any connect basically puts me between them and my opponent thanks to our wallcarry, and the fact that I can put up clone to throw them from behind, I find that I get more opportunity to use them anyway.
The wallrun interactables some mightn't like since it digs into SZ's wallgame by giving your opponent another option, I personally find i get way more use out of them than my opponent who it often just lures in to eating a B2 combo, or a klone shatter, or getting uppercutted into your Clone (which is awesome :D) . Also for SZ, putting a clone up before using any "leap" based interactable basically forces your opponent to either successfully AA, block, or get pushed into the clone by say a succesful Slide or B2 (many other things too) and I love abusing this putting an opponent between me and a Clone can be a very good thing, and it's a good mix up for options after Cloning, which is often extremely important that your immediate actions after a Clone aren't predictable

Cryo is a slightly more difficult one, he's so unique but a bit all over the place in terms of role as a character in general. But the nature of his gameplay is a few things
- ex-Hammer is a really good neutral game tool for slow armouring through a hit / beating out other armoured moves, and converting into a third of their life bar. It's a great wake up for similar reasons. However it is completely fuzzy-guardable as a mix-up tool after a string, making it's use like this highly overrated
- He gets very little from the corner, no damage boost at all from 1 meter combo's, and only 3-5% on his meterless, and has no Clone to jail with. He also ends everyone single combo in a completely neutral, standing reset with no advantage.
- He punishes projectile trades for 24%. He can win out a zoning war pretty easily with a well timed ex-Iceball.

These combinations of character traits lead me to believe he is best played forgetting about fighting for the corner and tempo, just making liberal use of arguably the best backdash in the game, playing it safe, and just doing whatever it takes to win the neutral game. As such, corner interactables mean very little to him, since he's not pushing heavily for it and has great options when he's pushed to it himself, midscreen projectile interactables are good because the use of them anywhere on the screen is an opportunity for SZ to spend meter for good damage, and they also give him an option for high damage / chip damage, and other than this anything else is probably going to be more useful for your opponent than yourself. Following this line of though leads me to think that Jinsei Chamber is probably the best option here.

This is just my line of thinking, and by no means a guide or anything, I just wanted to open discussion on this talking point. Very interested to know what other people like using and why.

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I like Kove for Cryomancer. I base this completely off the chain swing. Does everyone know we can use that to start combos?