What's new

Best MK2 Port?

Greetings! :)

Just a quick question for the sake of conversation and possibly for debate...which of the myriad of Mortal Kombat II home console/handheld ports is your favorite? Least favorite? Maybe for sake of variety we should disqualify PC-DOS and PS3.

Favorites: SNES and 32X
Least Favorites: Gameboy Color, Sega Saturn/Playstation (great looking...just horrible early-CD era load times MID MATCH!)

My favorite? Probably SNES as I played the shit out of it as a kid.

Although I really do like the MAT2 one as it plays a little bit faster and I like the increase in speed.

Davey_8000 said:
My favorite? Probably SNES as I played the shit out of it as a kid.

Although I really do like the MAT2 one as it plays a little bit faster and I like the increase in speed.
Guessing MAT2 is the acronym for Midway Arcade Treasures 2? Never played that port...should get on that one of these days.

Rain.Dog505 said:
Guessing MAT2 is the acronym for Midway Arcade Treasures 2? Never played that port...should get on that one of these days.
Yep. It runs probably 20 or 30 percent faster than MAME, I like the speed increase. If you have Shaolin Monks, the MK2 on there is the exact same as the MAT2 one.

ded

Elder God
the best home ports (if you exlude mame emulation) are PS3 and MAT compilations, where the version from MAT: DE is the best and the one from MAT: EP is the worst.

Speaking of old school ports, i really LOVE the PC DOS version, although it has different gameplay than the latest arcade revision, but thats with all home ports actually lol

Jason Shearer

Kombatologist
SNES for me. Mainly for nostalgia. After the travesty that was MK1 on SNES, I remember the excitement I felt as I was reading GamePro and saw screens of MKII on SNES for the first time in all its bloody glory. It was an amazing port for its time.

X820

Noob
Skizelli said:
SNES for me. Mainly for nostalgia. After the travesty that was MK1 on SNES, I remember the excitement I felt as I was reading GamePro and saw screens of MKII on SNES for the first time in all its bloody glory. It was an amazing port for its time.
I prefer the SNES version over anything else aswell when it comes to home ports.

I always was bummed out that I could never play the game like in the arcade, until.. MAME.

iammud

Noob
I liked the 32x version back in the day, snes for regular 16bit. I think everyone can agree that ps3 has the best port for consoles, but that version is really just mame.

ded_ said:
the best home ports (if you exlude mame emulation) are PS3 and MAT compilations, where the version from MAT: DE is the best and the one from MAT: EP is the worst.

Speaking of old school ports, i really LOVE the PC DOS version, although it has different gameplay than the latest arcade revision, but thats with all home ports actually lol
Isn't DE the same as MAT2 and SM? Or did they fix the shadows?

I have the DOS version, but it's brand new, so I've never tried it. Is it worth opening?

ded

Elder God
they fixed some of the sound issues and Smoke for DE via Patch.

i'd love to have mk2 dos manual, any chance you could scan it with good quality and upload it?

iammud

Noob
Unfortunately when I bought mine it was just a disc, and case (sealed in the fancy factory shrink wrap); no box or manual. If I do decide to open it one day, and the cd insert turns out to be a manual, I'll be more than happy to scan it.

What's the most obscure MK2 port you have played?

Anyone ever sample the Amiga, Sega Master System or Game Gear edition? I remember hearing something about a Lynx or Game.Com version?

Tim Static

Adminerator
Best console port is tie between PSN and SNES, more so PSN.

Still, rather play it on a cab or at least mame.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Rain.Dog505 said:
What's the most obscure MK2 port you have played?

Anyone ever sample the Amiga, Sega Master System or Game Gear edition? I remember hearing something about a Lynx or Game.Com version?
I still have the gamegear port of it, and still ocassionally play it during long sittings on the toilet lol.
By todays standards its not to impressive. But for its time the gamegear was great, It shit all over the Nintendo gameboy in terms of performance. Still, Gameboy won out in the end.

Dark_Rob said:
I still have the gamegear port of it, and still ocassionally play it during long sittings on the toilet lol.
By todays standards its not to impressive. But for its time the gamegear was great, It shit all over the Nintendo gameboy in terms of performance. Still, Gameboy won out in the end.
The more powerful system seems just as likely to lose out on a console race (in terms of sales) then any other platform (see: Intellivision Vs. 2600, Xbox vs PS2, PSP vs NDS and Wii vs PS3/X360).

Might have to boot up an emulation of the GameGear copy to get a bit of a taste. Also...the idea of a bathroom dedicated GameGear tickles me greatly. :)
Tim Static said:
Best console port is tie between PSN and SNES, more so PSN.

Still, rather play it on a cab or at least mame.
True. Noting bets playing the actual cabinet or MAME of MK2. I feel confident enough to say that is likely true with 99 percent of arcade games.