What's new

Best balanced competitive video game ever?

omooba

fear the moobs
I'd put my vote on super smash bros melee. The top tier characters in the game are strong like any fighting game really but just the overall play style feels very balanced with lots of offensive and defensive options for every character
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
definitely not true but i will say this. This is the only fighting game i know where only one character has an infinite combo and the combo is of a grab meaning fuck blocking and that character isn't even top 3

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
no shooters except the ones with customizable loadouts and gear count for this thread

can we please stop picking games where everyone is literally on the same level? It's obviously pointless for discussion because all of them are on an equal, perfect level of balance, and if it's not obvious enough it specifies it in the OP. If Pong is perfectly balanced, you can let me know what your item build and perks are for your bat or else it does not matter

It's literally a fighting game, just a different type of one
Are beat them up literally fighting games too? Because the goal in Smash unlike any FG isn't to hit your opponent until his life bar is close to 0 it's to throw them outside of the platform not really a FG

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
no shooters except the ones with customizable loadouts and gear count for this thread

can we please stop picking games where everyone is literally on the same level? It's obviously pointless for discussion because all of them are on an equal, perfect level of balance, and if it's not obvious enough it specifies it in the OP. If Pong is perfectly balanced, you can let me know what your item build and perks are for your bat or else it does not matter
Not exactly, I already stated why Quake 1 wasn't that well balanced.

Thing is, shooters are much, MUCH more different to balance than a fighting game is. I know this is me being captain obvious, but it bears repeating.

Shooters should count in this thread as balancing is still a thing, there's a reason why Quake 3 is considered more balanced (they took into account all the feedback from 1 and 2's MP. Hence why the railgun and rocket launcher are not as devastating as they previously were, ESPECIALLY the RL) than 1 and an overall better MP experience than 1 was.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
You must have missed the reign of Grubby then, lol. But yeah, there's very little UD can do vs Orc, and Blizzard obviously never had any intentions of fixing it. I remember Lucifer had a couple good games vs Orc when he went Dread Lord first on certain maps to get the sleep->surround, but it was really just a cheese strat at best that worked best on extremely small maps or close spawns. Ted's fast crypt fiend build was, iirc, the best attempt UD had and it still had an incredibly low win rate.

Look up Hitler's reaction to Blademaster (at work right now, can't link). It's funny because it's true. It represents how I felt as an UD player.
I didn't miss the Grubby days. Grubby vs Moon produced some of the best WC3 matches ever. :D