What's new

Match-up Discussion Best and Worst Matchups: Rain

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm attempting to gather good information for my "How to Defeat Any Character" thread. You're going to see this exact post in each of the character threads. If you would like to share your information, ideas, and comments please stick to the format outlined below. This will help speed up the process of rooting out the pertinent information and putting it to good use. Thanks for your support!

*The information in the example post was written off the top of my head and not meant at all to convey actual match information. It serves only as a guide to influence future posts.

Post Format (based on Kano):

Best Matchup: Kano's best matchup is probably against Quan Chi. Quan Chi's 1 wakeup attack, the Sky Drop, just isn't able to break up Kano's awesome offensive game. Kano can keep him at range with zoning tactics that have enough recovery to block and punish the Sky Drop. Quan Chi should be unable to control almost any aspect of a match with Kano.

Worst Matchup: Kano's worst matchup is definitely against Sub-Zero. Ice Clone completely nullifies Kano's Air Ball, and with no teleport Kano can have a very difficult time getting in to inflict decent damage. His only real option is to hang back and zone with Knives hoping to bait and punish Sub-Zero's slide. However, since his Knives can be crouched completely, if Sub-Zero has the damage advantage he can just run down the clock to force Kano to come to him.

Rain:

Best matchup: No idea yet

Worst matchup: Personally, I've had trouble facing Sonya. She is so quick and can get right in front of you from range with her Arc Kick that any whiffed move period basically means you eat a combo *because of Rain's long recovery period on special moves such as lightning and bubble*. Same goes for Kung Lao and his dive kicks, spin, and teleport.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Rain:

Best matchup: No idea yet

Worst matchup: Personally, I've had trouble facing Sonya. She is so quick and can get right in front of you from range with her Arc Kick that any whiffed move period basically means you eat a combo *because of Rain's long recovery period on special moves such as lightning and bubble*. Same goes for Kung Lao and his dive kicks, spin, and teleport.
Thanks for your input InstantClasSiik! I'm seriously lacking in Rain info so you have definitely helped me out a lot!

Subby

Frost Warrior
I found Sonya to be one of my easier matches over this weekend. The hardest match-ups are the ones that can shut you down indefinatley I.E. Reptile.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I found Sonya to be one of my easier matches over this weekend. The hardest match-ups are the ones that can shut you down indefinatley I.E. Reptile.
Can you elaborate? How does Reptile keep you shut down?

Maybe it's our play styles, but I can usually avoid most of Reptiles attacks with Rain's teleport or aqua splash. Aqua Splash will usually catch a Reptile's dash if timed right, and the acid bubbles can either be jumped over or teleported away from. I've even caught a few Reptiles in combos after a teleport because they were still in bubble animation. How'd you deal with Sonya?

Edit: No problem Karaokelove! Glad my input is helping someone :)

Subby

Frost Warrior
Maybe it's our play styles, but I can usually avoid most of Reptiles attacks with Rain's teleport or aqua splash. Aqua Splash will usually catch a Reptile's dash if timed right, and the acid bubbles can either be jumped over or teleported away from. I've even caught a few Reptiles in combos after a teleport because they were still in bubble animation. How'd you deal with Sonya?

Edit: No problem Karaokelove! Glad my input is helping someone :)
Well, first of all Arc kick is punishable with a uppercut. I haven't been hit by it yet. Her projectiles are easy to teleport over. You should be VERY far away if your using Lightning randomly to keep pressure on. Bubble should also never be used unless you hit the opponent with a lightning as well. Im using Aqua splash over her and B2 as well. If you keep constant pressure on her she won't be able to do much.

I don't know she seems very limited compared to Rain. From my experiance I had no trouble at all. Now Reptile is a problem. A good Reptile will mix-up his bubbles and constantly dashing to keep a constant pressure. This is a serious problem since the only good wake-up Rain will have is a ex-Roundhouse. Acid spit makes it hard to zone with lightning since it is VERY fast. Reptiles will constantly mix you up and make you make a mistake, causing them to combo you.

Sry it took a while to reply back, didn't even know it had replies after I posted.

Rain's EX-Teleport wake up is pretty good as well imo. I've caught a few Reptiles mid dash with it to break their pressure. I agree though, when Reptile mixes and is in your face the whole time its tough for almost every character.

Rains best matchup is against subzero or Shao Kahn (yea for real). When subzero freeze clones, you can teleport under it. When he slides, you can jump over him and hit him with lightening, bubble follow up. But with Shao Kahn, if you go to the other end of the map and wait for him to throw something, teleport, hit him with the 3,roundhouse,4,3,lightening,bubble, (move bubble overhead), then the hydro blast up(or whatever it's called) makes it simple.[BANANA][/BANANA]

Rains worst matchup, in my opinion, is baraka or jax. You can't jump over Barakas chop chop mover and hardly can dodge jaxs groundpound,dashpunch combo.

ecksyz

speed force.
I'm gonna have to agree with the comments about Reptile, so far he's given me the most trouble out of the cast. Aside from Kung Lao, that is.

Rain doesn't really have an answer to Reptile's constant pressure, even trying to punish him can be difficult as most of the time my usual punishment combo (which starts with 4, 3) doesn't connect. I've adjusted to that by using b2, 1+2 instead, which is usually much more likely to land, although those combos typically deal less damage.

Kung Lao gives me trouble in many of the same ways, although at least in that match projectile trades are usually in my favor. But besides that his pressure is very tough to deal with.

As far as easiest match-ups go, I'd say Sub-Zero and Styker are two characters I've never had problems with. Any zoning can trade with lightning or be teleported behind.

Kwon

---->----
Can only speak for Online and the recent matches i've had since Rains release, but so far, every Noob i've faced have been quite easily dealt with.

Most of them get flustered after a few well-timed Ports.

Rain1989

Noob
I would say my best matchup is against Cyrax. You can teleport to avoid his net. Do the geyser kick I think its called when he teleports.

Worst match up is Baraka. Its hard to explain. I cant get a move in edge wise when he does his low blades combo. And if I get close he just does his 2 blade dash and thats the end of me.

Creepy00

Noob
To early to tell
But wouldnt yiou guys say rain has bad matches against Rushdown characters? :/
I find hard to get away from without using meter. Good thing most of Rain ex special has armor on.