What's new

Best and Worst Matchups: Nightwolf

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm attempting to gather good information for my "How to Defeat Any Character" thread. You're going to see this exact post in each of the character threads. If you would like to share your information, ideas, and comments please stick to the format outlined below. This will help speed up the process of rooting out the pertinent information and putting it to good use. Thanks for your support!

*The information in the example post was written off the top of my head and not meant at all to convey actual match information. It serves only as a guide to influence future posts.

Post Format (based on Kano):

Best Matchup: Kano's best matchup is probably against Quan Chi. Quan Chi's 1 wakeup attack, the Sky Drop, just isn't able to break up Kano's awesome offensive game. Kano can keep him at range with zoning tactics that have enough recovery to block and punish the Sky Drop. Quan Chi should be unable to control almost any aspect of a match with Kano.

Worst Matchup: Kano's worst matchup is definitely against Sub-Zero. Ice Clone completely nullifies Kano's Air Ball, and with no teleport Kano can have a very difficult time getting in to inflict decent damage. His only real option is to hang back and zone with Knives hoping to bait and punish Sub-Zero's slide. However, since his Knives can be crouched completely, if Sub-Zero has the damage advantage he can just run down the clock to force Kano to come to him.

I'm not necessarily sure what Nightwolf's best matchup would be. Probably one of the weaker zoning characters like Stryker or Sindel, but I've never played against either of them. Among popular tournament characters I really like him against Ermac and Kano for similar reasons. NW is one of the very best anti-zoning characters, period. Also, in Kano's case, he can easily punish upball with a full bnb from f+31.

I'd say his worst matchups are definitely Kung Lao and Reptile. Reptile's elbow dash shuts down NW's long-range game with lightning/shoulder, and also kills his mid-range game since moves like b+2 are very slow. Kung Lao can use low divekicks to get in from a distance (they avoid lightning and will beat shoulder) and spin is just a huge problem for any non-zoning character. Not to mention his normals are so much faster!

Liu Kang is also rough for NW, actually. He can beat wakeup normal shoulder without having to give up offense (thanks b+312!), his pressure is fantastic, and he has a good all-around projectile game. Particularly important is that he has both a projectile you can't crouch and an air one that can be aimed to bait out reflect and allow you to dash in and punish with a full combo.

I find any character with a projectile has the potential to be in a losing position with NW. If you are quick with his Reflect and do it enough, people will stop throwing projectiles. This eliminates one of their key moves. Works great on Kano as people love to spam his projectile. I think off all though, Subzero has the hardest time with NW because of the ice ball. If reflected, which is easy because of the startup frames on SZ, they are left frozen for a very punishable combo. I think NW has a hard time with SMOKE as your reflect is useless and his Teleport is so fast it can get out of many problems. all IMO.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I find any character with a projectile has the potential to be in a losing position with NW. If you are quick with his Reflect and do it enough, people will stop throwing projectiles. This eliminates one of their key moves. Works great on Kano as people love to spam his projectile. I think off all though, Subzero has the hardest time with NW because of the ice ball. If reflected, which is easy because of the startup frames on SZ, they are left frozen for a very punishable combo. I think NW has a hard time with SMOKE as your reflect is useless and his Teleport is so fast it can get out of many problems. all IMO.
I love baiting you wolfers. I throw a few projectiles to test you then... BAM! Unless I am really unlucky and you ex reflect I can get you with an ex icebeam which beats your reflect.

I love baiting you wolfers. I throw a few projectiles to test you then... BAM! Unless I am really unlucky and you ex reflect I can get you with an ex icebeam which beats your reflect.
That is true, but i find that a waste of meter on your part. But it all depends on the game and the players. Its all about reading the opponent. I would rather save meter for BREAKER. Cause if your do it wrong and get a ice ball reflected back, you have no meter to break a full punish.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
you make it too easy

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
Best: Probably a zoner like Noob. Reflect his shadows, move in with EX shoulder, combo, repeat.

Worst: I say Liu Kang. Something about Kang just seems to be able to shut Nighwolf down. I don't tend to have many problems with Kung Laos or Raidens but Kang just has such a speed advantage. I'd make an argument for Sub Zero but NW has all the tools to beat him and it is probably just my incompetence that makes me lose that fight more often than not.