What's new

Video/Tutorial Beginner-Level Variations with Aquaman Midscreen Combos

Do you feel I should include a video to better assist the beginners?

• Total voters

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I know something like this would belong in the Aquaman Combo Thread. However, I wanted to be sure that any and all beginners picking up Aquaman would see this in case they need some easy combos to start with, so I opted to make this a separate topic. I will merge this thread with the appropriate topic once I am certain this is common knowledge.

Note the prefix I used. It doubles for tutorials that include videos and those that are solely in text. Mine will not include a video as I feel it is not truly necessary for this subject, but if the majority feel differently, then please indicate your thoughts in the poll I have included and I will create one straightaway. I will need at least ten positive votes for my judgment to be influenced.

Down to business, as Hawkgirl would say.

It is highly essential to optimize the damage in your combos. You want to punish your opponent as hard as you can with the combo that best fits the situation. Settling for any less damage is not reasonable - unless you're opting for swag points, I guess.

I've noticed that Aquaman players commonly start their punishes off of b1 2. This is for very good reason: b1 is a 9-frame low with excellent reach and you should have a good window to hit-confirm off of the string. A combo that is commonly used by beginner-level Aquaman players is:

b1 2 Low Scoop (db1), 2 2 MB From the Deep (db2 + Meter-Burn), 2 2 3 = 33% damage.

The above combo equals 33% damage, costs one bar, and puts the opponent into knockdown, but doesn't leave you at any reliable advantage save for a meter-burned f3 or b3 to snuff their Wake-Up attempt. Alternatively, you have this combo:

b1 2 Low Scoop (db1), 2 2 MB From the Deep (db2 + Meter-Burn), f2 1+3 = 34% damage.

1% higher than the previous combo, still costing one bar and allowing you to change sides on the screen.

I have used these combos regularly when I first picked up the character, but wasn't satisfied with the damage I get by spending one bar. However, after playing other Aquaman players, I have learned combos that are far more optimal and make the cost of meter bearable. These are:

b1 2 From the Deep (db2), b1 2 Low Scoop (db1), 2 2 MB From the Deep (db2 + Meter-Burn), 2 2 3 = 39% damage.

You can exchange the 2 2 3 ender in the above combo for Aquaman's f2 1+3, which will net you 40% damage and a position change on the screen.

Next combo:

b1 2 From the Deep (db2), b1 2 MB From the Deep (db2 + Meter-Burn), 2 2 Low Scoop (db1), 2 2 3 = 40% damage.

Again, the 2 2 3 ender can be swapped for f2 1+3 to acquire the same amount of damage and a position change, all while expending only one bar.

Now, some Aquaman players may find themselves struggling to get used to landing the follow-ups off of a regular From the Deep using b1 2, especially online where the combo has a higher drop rate due to the delay. So, if you should find these slightly intermediate-level combos overwhelming at the moment...I have an easy solution for you.

Simply swap the second b1 2 juggle with his six-frame d1. Compared to his nine-frame b1, this will be much easier to connect. You will be sacrificing only 1% damage and still making your use of meter worthwhile. Below are examples of such combos:

b1 2 From the Deep (db2), d1 MB From the Deep (db2 + Meter-Burn), 2 2 Low Scoop (db1), f2 1+3 = 39% damage.

b1 2 From the Deep (db2), d1 Low Scoop (db1), 2 2 MB From the Deep (db2 + Meter-Burn), f2 1+3 = 38% damage.

As usual, the f2 1+3 ender in each of the above combos can be swapped with his 2 2 3 ender and vice-versa for the same damage. Use either ender depending on what side of the screen you want your opponent to be at. It is important to be mindful of this.

For example, if you should do Low Scoop in the corner to juggle the opponent over your head, use f2 1+3 to complete the combo and put them back in there; otherwise, use 2 2 3 to keep them away from any interactables in the corner so you'll be in a good position to use the threat of them against your opponent. It's not always about using the interactable when you get the chance, it's about preying on your opponent's fear that you will use them.

Once you feel more confident in your ability to land the b1 2 follow-up off of a starter with From the Deep, start using that more. Although it's only a 1% difference, all the damage in the world can only help you. The d1 variation will definitely help for when you play online.

I hope my explanation has been thorough and helpful. If you have questions, please ask me or any Aquaman experts on this forum and we'll try to clarify.

For those who prefer to identify the combo strings by their names as they are listed in the game's frame data, here they are:

b1 2 = From the Depths
2 2 3 = Atlantean Strength
f2 1+3 = Deep Sea
2 2 = Tsunami Slam

To avoid any confusion on the numerical and lettered notations, here is a key legend for PS3 and Xbox360 players to refer to:

Key Legend:

f = forward
b = backwards
u = up
d = down

1 = Square for PS3, X for Xbox 360
2 = Triangle for PS3, Y for Xbox 360
3 = X for PS3, A for Xbox 360
4 = Circle for PS3, B for Xbox 360

Meter-Burn = R2 for PS3, RT for Xbox 360

Interact = R1 for PS3, RB for Xbox 360

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
this is really good stuff Blake,as someone who has just picked up aquaman again there were a few things here id forgot or simply didn't know.thanks man :)