What's new

General/Other Bane - Pros and Cons

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Doombawkz
PND_Mustard

Short list of what I feel to be good and bad about Bane right now

PROS:
- Bane has really good reach on his normals and can harass a good portion of the cast with mix-ups.
- Venom grants him a damage boost and armor on his special moves, allowing him to negate some zoning.
- Frame traps and tick throws make for a dirty pressure game, combined with Venom armor he can be very lethal.
- One of, if not the best, corner game right now, able to lock you down with pressure, grabs, etc.
- Great cross-up in j.d+3
- Can use the environment for untechable knockdowns and set people up for 50/50's.
- Decent whiff punish in f.2, pushes people to the corner(although I'd say f.2.down is better, faster, and safer)
- Venom + environment sets Bane up for huge damage and a 50/50 that kills you for guessing wrong in some situations; essentially a death combo that he's still safe on. Doesn't work on all stages, but for every stage he can get at least 50%.
- Good dashes that cover a lot of space.
- Strong meter building up close to compliment his pressure game; gives him ability to stock up for a clash if necessary.
- Double Punch is a safe advancing move that hits overhead, good for checking people coming in, jumping out, or trying to poke.

CONS:
- Struggles somewhat with zoners, his forward dash being a bit slow, so he has to react and dash immediately to avoid eating some follow-ups.
- Going into higher levels of Venom is risky in some match-ups unless you're able to assure the kill due to the ridiculous debuffs.
- Difficulty with characters that can stuff his armor and others that can beat him in the footsies department.
- It feels like there are times where he's forced to Venom up to get in. This could be a personal issue though.
- Seems to have issue with the keepaway game that almost the whole cast can play, due to not having any counter-zoning ability(lack of projectile)
- Charge isn't good outside of armoring through zoning; can be punished with MB wall-bounce on reaction by most of the cast.
- Super is gimmicky when used naked and whiffs for no reason at times - other times it will whiff just by jumping around it, so your meter is wasted for nothing.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
good write up, but i must disagree with f2 being a good whiff punisher, comes out wayyy too slow to be reliable.
I've had some success with it on a good read, mostly from me fucking up the overhead lol

It has a lot of push but it really should be safer for being so slow. :/

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
I've had some success with it on a good read, mostly from me fucking up the overhead lol

It has a lot of push but it really should be safer for being so slow. :/
surely it's not a reliable whiff punish if you have to do it on a read? :p

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Woo I'm on the tag list. Also read this list, seems pretty accurate. I have to go work a job but when I return I'll spill my guts.

cavm92

Noob
i fucken love his b3. i tend to use is as a round starter for a quick 32% damage. im surprise how many times people get hit by it.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Doombawkz
PND_Mustard

Short list of what I feel to be good and bad about Bane right now

PROS:
- Bane has really good reach on his normals and can harass a good portion of the cast with mix-ups.
- Venom grants him a damage boost and armor on his special moves, allowing him to negate some zoning.
- Frame traps and tick throws make for a dirty pressure game, combined with Venom armor he can be very lethal.
- One of, if not the best, corner game right now, able to lock you down with pressure, grabs, etc.
- Great cross-up in j.d+3
- Can use the environment for untechable knockdowns and set people up for 50/50's.
- Decent whiff punish in f.2, pushes people to the corner(although I'd say f.2.down is better, faster, and safer)
- Venom + environment sets Bane up for huge damage and a 50/50 that kills you for guessing wrong in some situations; essentially a death combo that he's still safe on. Doesn't work on all stages, but for every stage he can get at least 50%.
- Good dashes that cover a lot of space.
- Strong meter building up close to compliment his pressure game; gives him ability to stock up for a clash if necessary.
- Double Punch is a safe advancing move that hits overhead, good for checking people coming in, jumping out, or trying to poke.

All correct, and in addition you can't forget his ability to clash and be rid of those venom debuffs, and just make note of how extremely huge the double punch hitbox is. The thing catches the batslide which iirc is the lowest attack in the game.

CONS:
- Struggles somewhat with zoners, his forward dash being a bit slow, so he has to react and dash immediately to avoid eating some follow-ups. His jump is floaty and too low also.
- Going into higher levels of Venom is risky in some match-ups unless you're able to assure the kill due to the ridiculous debuffs.
- Difficulty with characters that can stuff his armor and others that can beat him in the footsies department.
- It feels like there are times where he's forced to Venom up to get in. This could be a personal issue though.
- Seems to have issue with the keepaway game that almost the whole cast can play, due to not having any counter-zoning ability(lack of projectile) Redundant, and not necessarily true. He trounces people like arrow and raven because of their reliance on single-hit stuff. He can buff out a few zoners, just its not as easy.
- Charge isn't good outside of armoring through zoning; can be punished with MB wall-bounce on reaction by most of the cast.
- Super is gimmicky when used naked and whiffs for no reason at times - other times it will whiff just by jumping around it, so your meter is wasted for nothing.
Other than that, yeah its prefect.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I think you guys are exagerrating how easy the Raven match-up is. Raven should be teleporting and running away from Bane as opposed to just simply zoning him out.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I think you guys are exagerrating how easy the Raven match-up is. Raven should be teleporting and running away from Bane as opposed to just simply zoning him out.
Teleports can be grabbed/armored on reaction. She can't do anything from full screen besides do little amounts of chip, so if he gets the life lead, it's smooth sailing.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Her teleport is surprisingly not all that great against us. If we read the away tele we can charge it on reaction and catch her, and her close tele can be d.2'd or neutral grabbed before she gets to make use of it. Most of her better strings begin using her MB gravity squeeze, so taking that and all of her wake-up away from her hits her hard.