What's new

Balance of the Game vs Balance of Characters

webreg

Dojo Trainee
I'm obviously new to the fighting game circus and English is not my native language so if my questions sounds a bit strange please bare with me.

I've heard a lot of people complaining about bad match ups. Especially about a few broken tactics some character can't deal with. My question is this:

Where does the notion come from, that a fighting game must be balanced among it's cast of characters rather than the game as a whole? The system of MK9 seems to be simple enough and learning more than one character shouldn't be a problem. I have not seen any tactic in a tournament yet, that could not have been beaten with a particular tactic of another character.

MK9 seems to encourage this kind of multi-character use more strongly than other fighting games and I think it is a positive aspect. Not only is it more fun to play various characters it's also a lot more interesting to watch. Don't fool yourself, in this day and age the pleasure of the spectators is almost as important as the competition maybe even more.

Could it be, that MK9 is still so new, that most people were not yet able to master a cast of characters? Could it also be, that MK9 has this kind of balance in mind? What do you think?

Balance in fighting games is over rated.

The greatest fighting games of all time have all had severely bad match ups between certain characters, or bad balance across the entire cast.

MK9 is no different, and doesn't need to be in order to be a great game.